Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

I just recorded Fly Me to the Moon. I applied 4 Plugins to the Vocal Track. One more than usual. Trying the de-breath plugin that iZotope. Though this time the vocal tracks is delayed some. The vocals start later than I actually sang them. I know I didn't sing that late. It is like a couple seconds off or so. Just guessing.

I think having 4 plugins at once slowed it down. That is my guess because I don't think it has done this before. I applied that de-breath plugin for the first time and now this happened.

Also I have had my instrumental track sound like it is doubling. Plays two it seems one slightly slower than the other. So I reboot and it fixes it. This wasn't happening before. Have you ever seen this situation?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The FX will introduce latency. That's what you're hearing.

Several possible solutions might help. Don't know if this applies to BB as it does to DAWs since I don't use BB/RB in the manner you seem to be using.

1. Increase the buffers and decrease the latency. This would give it a better "look ahead: on the playback. Some folks actually change their settings based on whether they are tracking or playing back. IMHO, this is a temporary fix if it works.

2. Process the audio FX to track. This prints them to the track on a more permanent basis..... maybe good, maybe not.... depends on what and how you work. Again... this is not the optimum way to do it, but is simply a workaround solution until you can get to #3.

3. Use a 3rd party external music interface running native ASIO drivers. MME suffers from latency on the playback trying to handle the load. (THIS is my solution. I can stack multiple FX into multiple tracks and busses and everything runs in real time without latency)

The system can probably handle one or two vocal FX OK, and introduce very little latency in the process. As you add more, the latency introduced at each plug adds up and soon you can hear it clearly. Then throw in a heavy usage plug like the Ozone family plugs.... they do tend to be a bit more intense than some of the default FX plugs, and suddenly you are hearing unacceptable levels of latency.

Since you mentioned that it's the de-breath plug, I suspect that the processing on that one is especially heavy. While a plug like that might be "cool".... I would likely opt to use a manual enveloping or muting on the breaths to avoid the issue altogether. I used to use automatic mode on several of the plugs I use but realized that I got better results doing what they did, automatically, by hand. Now I don't use the "automatic" mode on any plugs.

If you can shut it off and the latency goes away..... you found the problem. Now all you have to do is figure out the way you wish to workaround or solve the issue.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/04/14 07:23 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
His system should be able to handle way more than one or two FX on a couple tracks. Using a system with 4 gig RAM I can get 20-30 FX running without issue. I'd venture to guess something else is going on.
Shared IRQ? Could cause processor interruptions
Fragmented disk? Could cause read delays
Disks going to sleep? Can cause weird things to happen

If that particular plugin does seem to be the problem, see if there is a DXi/VSTi option (some Izotope plugins can be installed in either format and one may work better on a given system).

I have never seen a system where using ASIO allowed more FX to be used. By nature MME has more buffer time available, so is usually able to run 'more stuff' more smoothly. ASIO usually makes FX/Synths respond faster when real time response when needed, but MME should not introduce timing issues.

Also, closing down and restarting every so often frees up resources. It's a habit here, like saving often. Every time you do an action that can be undone, that action has to be stored somewhere temporarily. That can be anything from an edit to recording a new track. These add up over time, and closing down frees up those resources. I know some people that leave PT/RB running for days .. I do not do that, nor suggest it.
Also, recording to a second drive (separate from the playback drive) helps; it spreads out the load.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sly are you recording with the FX on? If so try recording without them and add them in later. This is always the best bet, as if you don't like the sound you have to re-record. If you record dry you can make changes until you like it.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Good question Robh, this would explain a lot of it. Especially if IM was enabled but Allow Recording IM wasn't ..

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
IMHO recording with FX is a mistake altogether even if you're just listening and not printing.You NEED to hear the real voice.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Take note: I used the word Humble. Trying to start 2014 off right!LOL

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I never record the IM input either, but it is possible if you want to (at least in my testing)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sly Ruby

I just recorded Fly Me to the Moon. I applied 4 Plugins to the Vocal Track. One more than usual. Trying the de-breath plugin that iZotope. Though this time the vocal tracks is delayed some. The vocals start later than I actually sang them. I know I didn't sing that late. It is like a couple seconds off or so. Just guessing.

I think having 4 plugins at once slowed it down. That is my guess because I don't think it has done this before. I applied that de-breath plugin for the first time and now this happened.

Also I have had my instrumental track sound like it is doubling. Plays two it seems one slightly slower than the other. So I reboot and it fixes it. This wasn't happening before. Have you ever seen this situation?

I note that SR mentioned : "I know I didn't sing that late. It is like a couple seconds off or so."

A couple of seconds! Wow, in processing cycles, that's an absolute eternity!

It's hard to imagine that a real-time FX took so long to process. I suspect it's a combination of a lot of things. Maybe the De-Breath is just the catalyst, especially as the reboot resolves?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
wow you guys have some great experience with this. All these posts help out a great deal in figuring out how to deal with this. My thought initially was I just put this debreath plugin on and now it is too much for it to handle in some way. So I thought maybe I could somehow nudge over the vocal track and put it right in sync again. Maybe that can be done. I haven't figured out how to move the vocal track yet. But I am sure it can be done.

But I want to check out the fix on it as you guys are telling me. I don't want to nudge over my vocal tracks all the time if that is even a good option I don't know. I will take off that de-breath plugin for one that caused it. But now since I know latency is coming into play I am going to listen for it.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To nudge it; highlight the track, hold the CTRL key down and drag the track back towards the beginning of the song. This can be done in Tracks view or Audio Edit view.

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
...Maybe the De-Breath is just the catalyst, especially as the reboot resolves?

Likely to be involved with how that "De-Breath" has to do its job.

It cannot remove a Sibilance *before it happens* - therefore it has to let the buffer fill with what you sang, then use cpu cycles to analyze that, then apply itself for that area, then repeat the same process over and over again. Ugh.

On top of that, it can likely handle an area where there is ONE sibilance, but another area where the singer has to articulate a lollapalooza of Sibilance-making sounds will really put the poor thing into a time consuming stew.

And then there is the resource-handling issue in the plugin's coding to consider as well. When Reboots tend to "fix" problems such as this one, and I think you've mentioned that a Reboot does tend to do that, it is usually a sign of that Resource problem, typically a RAM refresh routine that can't do the job well enough to keep on truckin' in realtime.

I still think that Sly would LOVE the Presonus VSL for its built in near-zero latency monitoring effects, they use their own proprietary methods to achieve that and over here at my end, Singers especially love using this thing and for that reason. I can choose to record them DRY to the DAW while feeding them a monitor feed to the cans that has dialed in reverb and a few other choice things. Being able to hear the Reverb at least like that can make a big difference for an accomplished singer's tracking, for one thing, they won't be singing overtop of what would become their own Reverb tails.

There's also a way to trick the Presonus VSL and certain DAWS such that one can record BOTH the monitor mix with built in realtime effects AND a dry track as well. Best of both worlds "in the can" all at once, and I've been able to simply just use the WET feed from the monitor mix in the actual recording, no fuss no muss with Plugins whatsoever. That is way cool.

Those who are interested but maybe not quite understanding what I've said above, especially the part about the proprietary method that gets the speed needed out of the USB port on the computer, should visit the Presonus website and read up on how this thing is accomplished.

And the sound of the thing is top shelf from preamps to output and back again.

--Mac

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
To me there is no magic bullet that make everything sound great out of the box. You need a good clean Dry recording. Then add effects, and play around until you begin to get what you want. If you record with reverb (other than what Mac described) you might find that you get different reverb sounds on ever track and you end up with a hot mess.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sounds pretty good the zero latency feature. I ended up buying the Roland QuadCapture. I was sold on the AutoSENS auto input level feature when I bought it. But I really don't think I am using that. I am better off just setting it by hand really. I thought it would be something I would use. It does have midi inputs also. I don't think I will take this one back for the Presonus though that zero latency might be a seller. I will have to do it the old fashioned way!!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Zero latency sounds good, in theory, but not possible. There will always be a latency, even in the zero latency settings. It's very possible to get it so low that it's essentially non existent.

My system is such a system.

The computer specs, while important, are not the determining factor in how much latency you experience.

The factors that matter most are the sound card or interface itself and the driver mode it uses.

What DAW are you using? I use Sonar and it records the incoming audio direct to the track. All the FX in the track and bus fx bins are applied only to the outgoing sound, never the incoming. Sonar does this by default as most DAW's should as well. So I really doubt, unless you specifically set it up to be on the incoming sound, that you are recording the FX to the track.

A way to check that is to record as usual. Now, simply shut off (bypass) the FX. solo the track and hit play. IF the fx are being recorded going in, you will hear the reverb and everything else on that track..... but, if the track is dry.... you are not recording the FX in real time going in, they are being applied to the output of the track. I suspect you will find the fx are on the output side of the track. That would explain why there is delay.

Also, looking at the tracks in track view, does the audio vocal wave appear to be properly lined up? If so, it was recorded with no latency. Since it sounds delayed coming out.... the latency is happening after the recording on the playback.

Last test is to select all the tracks and do a project EXPORT. Listen to the exported mix. Since the export does NOT occur in real time, the mix process takes as long as it needs, if the vocals are now in sync properly, bingo... it's happening on the output side.

Go and buy a dedicated USB interface running native ASIO drivers and the problem should be solved. However, no matter how good the gear, if you try hard enough, you can always find ways to choke up the process.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Presonus as Herb said is not really zero latency it is ultra low latency. The thing aout the VSL mixer app is the way they include important effects. They have at your disposal a delay, a reverb, a compressor, an EQ, a noise gate, and a limiter built in so you do not have to ad plugins. These can be used live , or recorded. And AS Mac said you can route them to the headphones and not the DAW so you can record dry ( no effects) and still hear the effects in the "cans"

Herb he is using RB right now. and has a Roland quad capture interface.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
First, be sure the drivers being used are the ASIO drivers.

However, even with ASIO is is possible to load up the system so that latency becomes apparent. However, when you are in the +100 millisecond range or higher, you need to find out what is causing it.

On my original Dell laptop, with a duo core processor, I could get the CPU up above 80% and get audio issues but the latency never was an issue. It either ran smooth or not depending on the processor load but I never recall having latency during those high demand times. pops, and audio engine drops, yes.... latency no. All it took to get the CPU load up was to load a few instances of Ozone and Melodyne and I was running in the red.

My interface, Focusrite Saffire, has a control panel with built in DSP effects. Compression and reverb and EQ too I think.... designed to reduce the need and load bu the FX in the DAW processing line. I have those all set very low. Almost non-existent for all intents and purposes.

I'm not that familiar with RB's capabilities as a DAW so I really can not address that issue in detail. My advice there is check to see what buffer size and latency setting is currently being used. Then adjust them a bit.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Herb and Rob, great points you have raised.

Besides task manager, another good Windows tool for specifically checking for system load is Process Monitor.

You can specifically check dynamic load on a collective range of items for one or more processes, including processor load, disk I/O, memory etc:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
07-Jan-14 06-13-07 AM.jpg (296.43 KB, 39 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sounds like interesting tests. I am just using RealBand when this was taking place. I do have Sonar X1 Le. A limited version. But it sure seems like it has a lot of capabilities. Let me know how it is limited compared to yours. Because it looks pretty complex and powerful to me. Maybe all I need. Unless it limits the quality of the output. That wouldn't be good. I will have to find some tutorials on it to feel comfortable using it. RealBand seems pretty simple. Though maybe all of the settings that I don't know much about are hidden in the preferences.

I have the Roland QuadCapture with ASIO drivers. I believe it is a very good interface. Check it out on Amazon if you would like.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sly if what you are doing is adding karaoke tracks and singing over them, then processing with plugins any DAW will do, even a lite version of Sonar is great.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,517
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173