Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
As my electric bill escalates, I often wonder, should I be concerned with the daily expense of leaving things run, or should I turn everything off when finished with a BB session? I have a $28.00 tester from Menards that answered several questions concerning every day expenses. First, using a single source 120 vac. outlet, I have my usual suspects up and running. Two QSC K12 powered speakers, one ALLEN&HEATH ZED 10fx mixer, an Ampeg GVT15H, AMPEG V4BH, DigiTech Vocalist Live4, HP Windows7 CORE i7 lap top, and a Yamaha MD4s. @ a rate of 9 cents per KW: 7hrs and 20 min.=1.63 KWH =.14 cents. :)So, I say let her run and enjoy the Best Buy available any where. Also for what is 's worth: a 12 gallon per day humidifier 58 hrs. and 45 min. cost .27 cents, An Eden Pure GEN4 heater, outside temp.@ 20 degrees fare., 98.18 hrs. cost $7.39. I hope someone can put these figures to good use.-----Leon

R
Expert
Expert
R
We went out to dinner last night and spent $50. That was an intro, chorus, and 2 bar ending with no repeats.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yep, Inrush Current at startup can easily cost more than what the meter rolls for steady state idling.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
The question of "let it run, or shut it off" is more than simply the electrical cost.

That's the cheapest part of the equation.

I turn my studio gear off. Leaving it on subjects it to electrical spikes from the utility company 24/7 vs the 2 hrs or so I'm working on it. These things are coming down the line constantly. So use a good surge suppressor all the time. But lightning and utility switching surges can be larger than the MOV's can handle.

Also, when the gear is on, the electrical voltage is a pressure that affects the lifespan of the components. Any time there is voltage and current in a circuit, that pressure is there AND heat is being created. Heat also shortens the component lifespan.

Turning the computer off also clears the memory cashe which is a good thing to do.

The down side is that every time you turn it on, you cause a bit of a shock to the circuit as the current rushes in to charge things up and get it running again.

I weigh the options and choose the shut down. Besides, look at all that money I'm saving as electricity prices skyrocket.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/16/14 11:02 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Guitarhacker, All good points for sure. I do not let everything run 24/7, but then again, now I know that it only cost a few pennies to leave it on should I choose to. I am surge protected, X three power strips.----Leon

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
As with most subjects of this type, I weigh the advantages and disadvantages on a daily basis and govern shutdown accordingly. For example, if I'm scheduled to leave the home office in the morning, no sense leaving it all turned on during that time.

On the other hand, if I'm working on something and have to take a break from it, I might choose to just leave everything up and running.

And everybody who uses electronic components of any kind should invest in good surge protection at a minimum, UPS with built in surge protection is great stuff. Power goes off, gear stays on. Allows for graceful shutdown if nothing else, often such a power down is short enough to allow me to just continue working through it while the UPS powers the junk.

--Mac

L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Rachael, I am glad that you can afford to scoff at the rising cost of living. Some can not afford a trip thru Mc D's until the 3rd. of the month rolls slowly around each month. smile -----Leon

Veteran
Veteran
When finished I turn everything off, why? Because my Dad would have had a foot in my backside if I did not . . . now Dad has been gone a long time but old habits are still hard to break.

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
Regardless of power consumption, remember that hard drive is spinning about 10 million revs each a day (for at 7200 rpm drive). Every hour it spins takes another hour off its total working life. Even SSD's have a finite operating life.

Have backups....

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
That's a good point to consider about the life of the HD, however I mostly leave the pc on for one reason; automatic system updates occur quite often and also the weekly scans for viruses malware and such, which mostly is setup to run automatically in the middle of the night. If it is turned off your liable to start any updates or scans, so here you are waiting for this thing do their stuff while you wait and often times you are asked to reboot to complete whatever it was doing. So I'm lazy I guess.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
Of course, the drive manufacturers will state fantastic MTBF values, potentially 50+ years. In the real world, my track record is slightly less than this.

Nothing wrong with leaving systems up continuously. I work in an industry where we have lights-out server rooms full of industrial computers running 24/7. Just make sure you have backups, that's the key!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
R
Expert
Expert
R
Originally Posted By: Leon Carpenter
Rachael, I am glad that you can afford to scoff at the rising cost of living. Some can not afford a trip thru Mc D's until the 3rd. of the month rolls slowly around each month. smile -----Leon

Interesting you thought my comment was scoffing. Point was I pissed away $50 in one night and got short termed enjoyment. BIAB gives as much enjoyment and cost must less. I'll take your .09/kwh vs my .11/kwh any day.

Lighten up. I was making a joke.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I knew what you meant, Rachel.

And also considered the holiday as well, being a happily married old lovebird here.

I think that forum communications can be easily misconstrued, for the simple fact that the written word simply is not able to convey the full communication that the spoken word does, even though a forum isn't exactly poetic or song lyric writing, the lack if prosody in the written word still applies.

You go, girl!

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I turn my gear on in the morning or when I first use it, leave it on all day or until I leave, then I shut it down and unplug everything from the AC. If a thunderstorm approaches, I do the same thing.

I live in a very high lightning zone. One of the highest in the nation and even though the incidence is high, the chances of it affecting me are low. Since 1957 when we moved here, it's happened twice.

1) I went to lunch, thought I unplugged everything, but left a hardware sampler plugged it. When I got back it was toasted, the repair charge was $600

2) A sudden storm came up, I was in the process of unplugging everything, sparks flew through the house, and wiped out a printer/copier/fax machine.

Many, many years ago I took a job as a telephone repairman. I thought I was getting out of the music business and becoming a fine, upstanding, productive citizen. It didn't work out that way. I was playing music still on the weekends and when a good opportunity came up, bye, bye ma bell.

Anyway I went to a house that got hit. The drop line from the pole to the house was just neoprene, all the copper was gone and it was brittle to the touch. The metal flashing on the eave of the house was melted to the drop wire. The lightning protector was gone from the side of the house, and I found a good sized piece on the back fence. There was a black stripe on the exterior wall where the ground wire used to be. The wire going from the protector to the wall phone was stiff with red, green, yellow and black insulating plastic dripping out of it, the phone itself looked good until I took the cover off, it was black and melted inside. And there were two holes in the ceiling in the master bedroom over the bed. The customer said the lightning ran around in the attic for about 15 seconds before it punched the holes in the ceiling.

Lightning can do strange things. I don't keep my stuff plugged in when I'm not here, when I'm sleeping, or when as storm approaches.

The electric bill is nothing in comparison.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
I had a couple of grand worth of equipment in two connected rooms blown out last summer by a lightning strike, so I value what Bob is saying. But would having the equipment turned off at the time (some was, but most was on) made any difference? It traveled between rooms over my remote speaker cables. I think I would have had to have physically unplugged everything to avoid what happened.

As far as the OP's question, most of my equipment is on as I mentioned, connected to the mains through some protected Furman power strips. The computer, router and modem are on a UPS. I have some things like speakers and the printer on one Furman that gets switched off when I leave the room, but the computer and my hardware synth and mixer stay on. [The firewire connection is too flaky to work every time I power up, so I just leave it on.] My ammeter says 1.4 amps most of the time, so I'm not much worse than a couple of light bulbs worth. In fact, since I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my house with LEDs, overall I'm ahead.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Proper lightning protection is indeed possible, but usually outside the expenditure that the average homeowner is willing to invest.

Polyphasor protection is used on commercial gear, to include radio and tv transmission sites, towers that attract lighrning all the time, direct hits, and safely dissipating the lightning strikes while protecting antennas, transmission lines and transmitting gear.

When Polyphasor belonged to its originator, "Dr. Lightning" - he built the company up by offering the "no questions asked" full replacement of any gear that was damaged or destroyed by lightning that was protected by his proprietary systems. The only provision was that the polyphasor system had to be installed in strict accordance with their engineering instructions.

To my knowledge, he never had to make good on that guarantee. A good thing, too, for Polyphasor was used to protect that gimongously high powered 100,000 Watt television transmitter site down in Florida.

A typical transmission tower, ground-mounted or on top of a tall building, represents a serious lightning rod and lightning attractor, yet the properly installed setup can take the hits 24/7/365 without the transmitter even going off the air.

Since it is possible to protect all that from strikes, it is certainly possible to protect your home. All horror stories from the unprotected/improperly protected aside, that is.

In the home, at least for US power installations, it is essential that the main power box be grounded directly bonded to the 8 foot or longer grounding rod installation, also essential for that grounding to be inspected periodically for any signs of deterioration. All other grounds, including telephone, should be bonded to that same single point or all protection bets are off.

Ironically, it is typically not the amount of power from the initial strike that damages electronic equipments, it is the backwards flow of DC current that happens AFTER the initial strike completes and the magnetic field that it generated around all of the associated wiring falls, generating a current in the opposite direction on all those conductors. Of course, that whole event might only last a few hundred milliSeconds, but the sheer amount of voltage that back pulse can rise to is what damages things like semiconductor junctions in your gear.

All of the recording gear, including any pcs, connected to power via a good quality UPS system with surge protection, connected to good power line with good ground can go a long way in preventing lightning or power surge damages to your gear, whether that gear is powered on or off at the time. Yes, semiconductor junctions inside gear that isn't turned on can still be destroyed by lightning strike if not protected properly.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Great info, thank you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rachael
We went out to dinner last night and spent $50. That was an intro, chorus, and 2 bar ending with no repeats.

Hi Rachael

I picked up exactly where you were coming from - $50 for a one-off, and no repeats - quite the opposite to BiaB.

And frankly I really liked the 'musical' way you delivered your observations

Good for you!

Veteran
Veteran
I can certainly appreciate a good lightning story since I have been in electrical servicing and security systems installation and servicing most of my adult life (where I worked a productive "real job")

I've seen lightning do some really bizarre things in all the years I have worked in these fields.... I have a number of lightning stories but will spare you my ramblings. OK... just one that was funny at the time... to me anyhow....
A customer's phone line got hit. The surge protector on the phone line shorted out but the alarm dialer was OK. The device did it's job. The phone guy comes down and we had determined there was a break in the line due to the lightning. So he used a "thumper"... it sends a high voltage spike repeatedly through the wire to find the break, with a receiver. He's walking through the weeds along the driveway pushing the reciever probes in the ground, when he starts "dancing and yelling"..... turned out that the break was located near a fire ant nest in the ground and as he was slowly closing in on the break the ants were pouring out of the ground since they really did not appreciate the electrical jolts through their nest. They found his legs, and attacked.

Yes, no matter how good a surge protection device is, a spark that will jump from a cloud 3000' up to the ground is not going to be stopped by a tiny MOV in a direct primary strike.

Regardless, I still have plenty of surge protection from the service mains coming in to the UPS/surge on the outlet where the gear is plugged in. Phone lines are an often overlooked source of surges. I have addition surge on my phone and internet lines as well.....

so far, so good, as I've only had minor damage to an old dial-up modem on a phone line to this point. A 10ohm resistor got fried in the line in.

I shut down the studio gear when I hear thunder and will only work on a laptop running on battery if I really need to keep working.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Phone lines are an often overlooked source of surges. I have addition surge on my phone and internet lines as well.....

So far, so good, as I've only had minor damage to an old dial-up modem on a phone line to this point. A 10ohm resistor got fried in the line in.

I took care of that problem years ago by dumping land lines, the wife and I just use cell phones. Although I do have the internet line go through my surge protection.

Loved the fire ant story.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173