Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shannon

As we mentioned earlier, if you want to tie a note to lengthen it, you cannot place further notes in the position where the first one should continue to be playing. The note has to be placed only in the position where it must start playing.

Try not to think of entering the notes as you would in the traditional way by writing notes on a stave with a pencil and then drawing the connecting tie lines.

Instead, think of entering the first note only (the one you want to hear play), and then just keep making it longer so that it will be automatically re-created in successive bars, complete with the necessary tie lines. Hope this tip helps.

Regards

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Sorry guys, to come to this, but I can't, for the life of me, get this tie thing to work! Soo frustrating. Im spending hrs and hrs on this one measure, trying different avenues..wont budge.

In the previous song that I was working on where there were examples made, I think was a fluke that I got the tie to work.

I am working on another song now "Cry me a river" and these are my problem areas. Ive tried all your instructions including not entering the 2nd measure. I really get messed up with the dialog box i.e. the increase and decrease doesnt change the notes. in the staff roll mode, manually ive tried to change it..nothing, the tie still isnt there.

The only thing that was change it is if I go into piano roll window and change the duration, but when I change over toeditable note window or staff roll window, it will not change over. Im assuming because of the midi (which I do not have) that is wont show that I have changed anything.

So Its suppose to read as :

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
tie-3-2-14.PNG (98.52 KB, 149 downloads)
Last edited by shannon88; 03/03/14 12:36 AM.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Also, in the 3rd measure, I am getting this (see attachment below), but it should read as a triplet (one-and-e-) instead. Again, it wont let me do this.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
3rd measure-3-2-14.PNG (10.77 KB, 146 downloads)
Last edited by shannon88; 03/03/14 12:43 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shannon,

BAR 1
The problem here arises from the fact that two F notes have been entered. One never enters the second note to which a note is tied. Simply enter the note that follows the tie on the appropriate beat of the bar. In this case, enter E on the last triplet beat of Bar 1, Beat 3.

To correct the above, simply HOLD the DELETE KEY and right click on the second F (Beat 2). That will remove the second F and a tie will replace it.

END OF BAR 3
This is the inverse case for bar 1 above. Simply click on the E space on the first beat of bar 4. That will remove the tie because it will add a note on beat 1, bar 4.

BAR 4
What you have called a 'tie' here is not a tie. It is a slur and is entered differently than described above. I won't elaborate on that at the moment, when you get the ties under control, let me know and I'll show you how to add slurs.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There is another method that is both faster and more accurate than entering notes one-at-a-time like that.

The QWERTY Keyboard Wizard

Quote:

The Wizard intelligent play along feature (from QWERTY or MIDI keyboard) is recordable to the melody track. Also, play along using the Wizard can use the harmony feature, so you can play along live from your QWERTY or MIDI keyboard in 4-part Saxophone harmony.

To select the Wizard, check the Wizard checkbox. Then you can play along on the bottom 2 rows of the keyboard.

To record the Wizard, press R to record, and play the Wizard. This will be recorded.

Tip: You can use the feature of recording the Wizard to enter music without a MIDI keyboard that doesn’t sound as stiff as most music entered in step time. Here’s how it works:

- Press the [Rec] button to record.

- As the song plays, play the melody that you want on any Wizard key, using the same key for each note, in the rhythm of the melody.

- The Wizard notes won’t be the correct melody of course, but don’t worry about that as you record.

- When you’re finished, go to the Notation window. You now have the notes with the correct durations and times, but the wrong pitches.

- One by one, drag the notes (with the left mouse button) up to the correct melody note. Hold down the Shift/Ctrl/Alt keys for sharps, flats, and naturals respectively.

You’ll then have entered a melody that sounds like it was recorded from a keyboard, without the stiff sound of a melody entered in step time!

This will bypass all the problems you are creating for yourself.

--Mac

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Noel,

Working with your instruction, where you mention, "To correct the above, simply HOLD the DELETE KEY and right click on the second F (Beat 2). That will remove the second F and a tie will replace it." I hold (down) the delete key and going to right click and it erases the whole melody line. So I dont see how that could be possible.

Do u mean, just to erase the 2nd F and that will automatically replace it with a tie?

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Noel,

Delete my last post. I got that fixed.

I think my main problem here is that I have an initial problem area and I get help by the asking the forum. Then, same song, different bar that has a different set of notes and i am stumped once again. You would think that wouldnt be the case, bcuz I could apply the same set of rules to the next prob area and id figure it out. ...But it isnt the case. Now, is the 2nd bar and 3rd bar. Of course, ive tried this several different ways with previous instruction, including yours, and i am so baffled why it wont do what i want it to do.

Here is an example:

tie probs-3-3-14-2-32pm.PNG (134.31 KB, 100 downloads)
Last edited by shannon88; 03/03/14 03:43 PM.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Mac,

Thank you for your feedback. At this point, I dont want to record melodies and keep in time, when I dont really the melody well in the first place. Might slow me down. Thank you for your input though.

Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: shannon88
Hi Noel,

Delete my last post. I got that fixed.

I think my main problem here is that I have an initial problem area and I get help by the asking the forum. Then, same song, different bar that has a different set of notes and i am stumped once again. You would think that wouldnt be the case, bcuz I could apply the same set of rules to the next prob area and id figure it out. ...But it isnt the case. Now, is the 2nd bar and 3rd bar. Of course, ive tried this several different ways with previous instruction, including yours, and i am so baffled why it wont do what i want it to do.

Here is an example:

Shannon, You have two x E5 notes in bar two, but you only want to hear one. Why do you enter two notes and expect to hear one??? You just need to lengthen the first note (the only want you want to hear)!
As mentioned previously, don't think of adding notes and drawing ties to join them. Create one note and lengthen it to suit.

Here's how to fix your problem. Use this technique for all notes where you want to see a tie:

2014-03-04_10-52-36.jpg (95.94 KB, 94 downloads)
2014-03-04_10-55-21.jpg (83.16 KB, 94 downloads)
2014-03-04_10-57-33.jpg (70.86 KB, 94 downloads)
2014-03-04_11-02-01.jpg (51.33 KB, 94 downloads)
2014-03-04_11-04-24.jpg (59.03 KB, 94 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: shannon88
Hi Mac,

Thank you for your feedback. At this point, I dont want to record melodies and keep in time, when I dont really the melody well in the first place. Might slow me down. Thank you for your input though.

Shannon

That's the beauty of the QWERTY keys wizard - You don't have to be able to play the melody, nor pick any certain keys, all you have to do is tap out the Rhythm to the particular melody as the song plays.

The notes you hear and enter at that point won't be the actual correct notes for your Melody yet.

But they will be harmonic to the entered chords.

Once the Recording of the tapped keys is done, you go to the Notation Edit view and simply drag the notes to the right note names to be the Melody. ALL THE TIES, RESTS, ETC. WILL ALREADY BE IN PLACE FROM YOUR TAPPING.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Hi Shannon. I'm no expert even though I've been using BIAB for 7 years. Matt, Noel, Trevor, and Mac are all pro level musicians and are BIAB experts. FWIW...I experienced your frustration with entering notation also. I asked some questions, got answers, but still just didn't get it. So, as usual, I just went back to Sibelius and then imported a midi file into BIAB. My problem was that I just could not grasp the concept of keeping going forward and that BIAB would take care of everything. As Mac points out, the QWERTY keyboard wizard works very well. When I use it, I have to have the sheet music in front of me and hope that I can count right. Hey, you can do as many takes as you want and keep the good one.

I have not been visiting this site very often this year so I just stumbled on your post. Well, thanks a lot for posting it. It's a big help to me with all the images since I'm a visual learner. I finally get it now. I guess I need a visual explanation at the most basic level. The BIAB notation is a whole new concept in note entry. I admit that I've had a difficult time in trying to get the "old" way of entering notes out of my geezer brain. Sort of reminds me of the old song, "Caldonia, Why Is Your Head so Hard." Like you, Shannon, I would like to work on a specific song, but sometimes I just have to bite the bullet and do some very simple trial and error stuff before I'm ready to move forward. Hang in there; You'll learn it.

Cornet Curmudgeon
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
When Recording MIDI to Melody or Soloist track via the QWERTY wizard or MIDI controller instrument, take advantage of the fact that you can slow the song down using the Tempo control.

Slow it down to a point where you can keep up with the thing, but not so slow that it affects the musicality.

Once the part is recorded, you can then reset the Tempo to the faster point where the song should be.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Thanks for that timely reminder, Mac. It's also a lot easier to enter if you are very familiar with the song.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,270
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB
38,548 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181