Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#22279 05/04/09 09:59 PM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
This is a song using BIAB blues realtracks. It was mixed in Real Band, for effects, and imported into Audacity to apply anticlip, and render to MP3.
I did the vocals, but have installed plexiglass over my monitor screen to catch the beer bottles, so don't worry.
It gives us something to do during the week.

My Coffin Time

Gene

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=926440&content=music

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I like this Gene You've captured a really easy, lay-back 12-bar blues feel. To my ears, the balance is great and the various instruments are well coordinated volume-wise. I really liked when you added the harmonica and the way that you wove your voice around it. Nice.

I found myself wondering if maybe there was a little too much reverb at times. I'm listening to the song a second time now and I'm still wondering that - I haven't reached a conclusion yet. Have you tried experimenting with a little less reverb? Personally, I've found reverb to be a strange devil to work with. The ear gets so used to hearing it that it sounds wrong to hear a song without reverb. Just tonight, I went back to some earlier songs of mine that I thought sounded great when I originally did them. Listening to them after a long break, it really brought it home to me just how cluttered they sounded because of the amount of reverb I used. It was a bit of a learning curve for me

As I said at the start, though, I really like this work.

Keep up the good work,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Noel;

Thank you for the listen. I did try to weave the music and vocals in and out. With the 12 bar thing, it can get boring quick without something new for the ears to focus on, for sure. I have always loved reverb, and always "abused" it. When I listen to songs without it, it sounds so small, like the band was in a 10 X 10 kitchen. Reminds me of a story of when I was in boot camp. When lights went out, we would sneak into the bathroom with our acoustics and play. Now that was some great natural reverb, because they were tile from floor to ceiling.

I just need to learn to put just a little, like when you can just notice that you have upped the dry/wet slider. I will try another mix on my day off, and we can A/B them both. You will probably be right.

Gene

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
They let you have your guitars in boot camp?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I had my guitar during Army Basic in 1972. My drill sergeant's favorite was Tom Paxton's "Talking Viet Nam Potluck Blues".

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ya, I was a squad leader, and the company commander loved country music. Sometimes he would call us in his office, (where he let us store our guitars). Everyone thought we were getting our A#@ reamed, but he would say, "play me something by Johnny Cash." All I knew at the time was Folsom Prison Blues. He didn't know about the tile bathroom sessions. Man that sounded good. These three guys could sure harmonize. We would play Suite Judy Blue Eyes, and they would do these chilling three part harmonies. You had to hear it bouncing against the tile. Talk about a pure sound. Just acoustic guitars, three guys singin, and natural reverb. We had to pay off the "night guard" who came around every hour to make sure everything was "secure". LOL

Gene

RealBand
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I listened to them all, I liked them all but my favorite was "Hearts can turn to stone".
So true.

RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Dusty;

Well thank you for taking the time to listen to them all. Not many people have the time to do that. That is a song about my divorce that becomes final on May 12th. Don't know if I am looking forward to it or not. Right now I feel like a ship without a rudder. At the mercy of the Trades.

Thank you for listening.

Gene

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Gene, great mix, production and vocal. Great blues harp. Super electric guitar. Was that you?

IMHO I believe the reverb level is just right.

I would rework the ending though. It is a little abrupt for my tastes.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Mario;

Thank you for the listen, and kind words. That one is all Realtracks. I struggled with the ending, as I always do in BB. I am just going to do a 4-6 bar fade from now on I think. There have been many posts about endings, so I am not the only one that is having trouble. I have even tried filling the last measure or two up with more chords, and it still does not sound good most of the time. A good old fade will work for now I guess.

Gene

RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
van nuys Gene! Like the way you brought the instruments in the breaks are kind of "empty" I know why though.

The verb on the vocal doesn't bother me though you might want to back off it and try an old slap effect for a more of an old Memphis sound.

Nice work on the guitars!

RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Poppa!

Thank you for the listen. I will try a re-mix on my next day off, which is Friday.

(Nice work on your climb to the top with Diss This)!!!!

Gene

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Good "talking" blues. I think if you just re-recorded the vocals a few times you would get better and better ways to phrase this. The "stops" did sound sound sort of hollow and empty, but that's just the way real tracks work. Maybe adding some reverb/delay to the "rests" might make things ring out a little more naturally.

Enjoyable tune.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Kevin;

Thanks for the report. I like the rest where the hangman checks his rope the best, with that guitar. The other ones, I could just let an instrument play on through, if you think it would sound better. Most all of my stuff needs a remake of some sort. As you know, I'm sure, by the time we actually post something, it is already, like "take #25". LOL.

Gene

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Gene,

I'm in the same barracks as Mario, liked everything but the ending. Hey what about a loud gun shot followed by a 2 beat pause and a strong E7 Chord to end the tune?

Kidding aside, nice work.

Later,

RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Danny;

Hey, that's a great idea. I think I have one of those in the GM2 bank! The neighbors would like that better than using my Smith and Wesson Mic'd.

Gene

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,822
Posts737,735
Members38,595
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
dedlyfish, Tnfkd, eljayjay, tommy kissner, Namahi
38,594 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176