Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Ravi Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm struggling to learn to play Jazz guitar - the books are really expensive, so I'm wondering if there's any way to use BIAB (much cheaper than a buying half a dozen books) to help. Is there any way to combine the guitar chords and melody of any jazz standard into one playable solo jazz guitar part that I could learn from?

If not, is there any other PG music product that may help?
ps I cant read music so I need tab!!

Ravi

Ravi
-------------------------------------
Sting, exactly what is an Arse Pirit?
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi Ravi

Does not matter what instrument you are learning BIAB is a great assist as it covers all aspects of playing and reading music,the thing here is time how much time you can spend in learning when i started it was 14 hours every sat and sunday and as much as i could for the rest of the week,i had to listern to records but with BIAB you have every thing to hand, you can hear, you can see, you can slow down, its how much you want to learn,one basic guitar book and BIAB you can`t beat it

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Ravi - welcome to the forum

Dave knows what he's talking about. I'm not a jazz guitarist but I can tell you there are more than a million things you can learn with BIAB for just about any musician.

I agree - one book (I would recommend something from the 'Progressive...' series of self-tutor books with CD) and BIAB and you are set for life

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
R
Ravi Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks guys!
What I really wanted to know is if I could somehow combine the guitar & melody tracks - I know that I can do them separately but is there any way to get BIAB to do it - to be honest, I dont know how to play the two together on my guitar and I suspect that I'm not good enough (yet) to do it manually!
Can anyone give me any tips on how to get started to try and do this?
Where do I find these "Progressive" series of books? is that a PG Music product?

Ravi

Ravi
Veteran
Veteran
I am not at home (I'm on holiday) so I can't give you a direct link but they are available via any good music store or Amazon. Just Google 'Progressive Guitar' and follow the path to Amazon

By 'guitar & melody' tracks, I presume you mean something like fingerpicking guitar rather than jazz. Yes, there are plenty of fingerpicking guitar tracks to study, with tab. Tab means you don't need to be able to read music (though it is a good exercise to learn to do so - BIAB even has a programme to help you to learn how to do that). Tab shiows you what frets on your guitar fingerboard to be able to play the same. You can slow down the playback to 25% in BIAB or even print out the charts for yourself.

Go for it - you won't regret it. Besides the folks on the forum are here to help when you get stuck (or to provide support and friendship when needed)

Also, be patient. No disrespect but learn to walk before you run

Good luck

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Journeyman
Journeyman
PG has Essential Jazz Guitar Vol 1 - 2 They are video guitar lessons.Go to the store.

Harold Buckelew WB2CGG Visit my Web Site www.theimperialmusiccenter.com HP Pavilion a6110n PC. BIAB 2011. In God We Trust
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Thanks guys!
What I really wanted to know is if I could somehow combine the guitar & melody tracks - I know that I can do them separately but is there any way to get BIAB to do it - to be honest, I dont know how to play the two together on my guitar and I suspect that I'm not good enough (yet) to do it manually!

Hi Ravi,

Band in a Box has the Guitar Chord Soloist feature.

All you need is the MIDI Melody line plus the chords to create a Guitar Jazz Chord Solo part with one button push. And it can be done in a small variety of different styles, too.

These can then be saved, viewed as TAB plus notation and also on the BIAB Guitar Fretboard view. You can also use Step function to go through this one beat at a time, highlighting the finger positions as you learn.

So the answer to your question is, YES!

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I believe you are referring to Chord-Melody playing (think Joe Pass). Check out my friends over at :

http://www.chordmelody.com/

BIAB used to have a great application call "The Jazz Guitarist". Is was excellent but has disappeared over the years. Rumor has it that there were ultimately copy right problems. I used to have a copy but it was lost over the conversions from computer to computer. The Essential Jazz Guitar may pick up where Jazz Guitarist left off, but I don't know, having not seen this newer application.

This is truely a special art. Combining both the melody and harmony and rythyms all into a solo performance seems to be somthing only granted to the gifted performer. But it is certainly an excellent goal. Good luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Jazz Guitarist" was not a BIAB program, as it was not inside of BIAB.

It was a separate program offered by pgmusic.

There are still jazz guitar study programs offered by pgmusic, they are topnotch and I highly recommend them.

Matter of fact, I think an aspiring jazz guitar player should get both BIAB --AND-- at least the first Jazz Guitar multimedia lesson offering from PGMusic and use them side-by-side.

--Mac

R
Ravi Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wow!
Thanks guys. So much good information to take in! I'll check out the Essential Jazz lessons right now and take a look. It's great to know that BIAB will do what I want - I have heard about the Chord Soloist feature but for some reason I thought it meant that BIAB would create solos over chords and just didn't look into it any more!

Many thanks
Ravi

Ravi
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB can create solos over chords, if you want. It can also create the chords to solo over! A never ending fountain of creativity for you to explore...

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Apprentice
Apprentice
No matter what type of guitar music you're intrested in, when you are trying to learn to play, it's best to use songs you are familiar with. BB lends itself to this type of learning. You find yourself a music book that has the songs you like. Enter the cords and tempo of the song into BB. Use a sequence music program like Music Time Deluxe(have to import midi into BB melody option) to manually enter the lead lines of your song or enter them directly from BB piano notation option, select any of BB's jazz styles that meet your preferences, open up the guitar tableture option in BB, press play, and watch and learn. Simple as that.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Welcome Ravi,

I can´t go enough describing about what has BIAB made for me as guitarist, in fact helping to improve my playing and improvisational concepts. Just the fact of be able to select a style, a tempo and my own chord progression turn BIAB in a powerful learning/practicing tool. Now, with Soloist, multi jazz focused styles, Real Drums, Real Tracks, plus the inmense available library of songs among which are several Real Books and jazz standards, the possibilities become infinite! . The ways I use BIAB are diverse, sometimes I just load the demos bundled with BIAB and start to practice/improvising over. Other time I load a jazz standard and change its tempo and even key for improve my harmonic sense. Other I try to learn phrases or even complete chorus of BIAB generated solos. Also I load a song just with bass and drums for construct, learn and practice songs with chord melody or convert a jazz standard melody with the chord progression feature. BIAB can be a great reference by record my guitar playing audio over a song or jam chord sequence and after I listen myself with criticize sense. One of the most rewarding ways of use BIAB is as compositional resource, it help me to render to reality many of my ideas and even I record my guitar audio in real time, turning BIAB in an amazing song sketchbook.
I have some video examples of my musical work where Band in a Box has been helpful in diverse ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHoFoRudOM&fmt=18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BaLgnwpFk&feature=related&fmt=18

Cheers.

Carlos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://carlosarellano.com/music

Veteran
Veteran
Maestro, (aka Carlos, aka jazzpick)

What a pleasure to see your work again. It has been sometime since you popped in here. Thank you for sharing your gifts and talent. What an inspirational joy.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,534
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173