Go To
#36784 09/17/09 09:23 PM
Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I downloaded the beta version of the new Melodyne Editor and gave it a try on a
guitar vocal I had done this morning. It's a nice package and seems to work well. It
allows you to edit individual notes of polyphonic material. For example in my guitar
vocal which is a single track I can edit the pitch of the voice and leave the notes on
the guitar unchanged or visa versa. Available for Mac and PC. Heres the link to their
revamped website.

http://www.celemony.com/cms

Here's the song I edited in the new melodyne editor.

It's the Robert Johnson classic "Sweet Home Chicago" and it's a guitar
vocal played on a Martin 00018 Norman Blake guitar and recorded on
a Blue Dragonfly Deluxe mic.

Just nudged a few notes with the melodyne and there are some
falsetto notes sung - those aren't artifacts.

Here's my song
Song page: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8111680

Last edited by PeteG; 09/18/09 12:53 AM.
PeteG #36785 09/17/09 10:22 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Good to know this will actually exist. The demo was amazing, like nothing I could have even imagined possible. Pete, please keep us posted on the program's progress.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Double up on the backbeat click with this one, Pete. Set the met such that it clicks on the upbeat of every beat and run through the tune a few times a bit slower like that.

Sounds like you are feeling that doubleback on the guit, but not on the singing.

Can't hear Melodyne at work at all here, that's a good thing for Celemony.

**What brand and model MIC are you currently using on your voice?**

And thanks for the headsup on the beta!

--Mac

Mac #36787 09/18/09 10:10 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mac,

Pete gave this the ultimate test, if I read his post correctly. It's a single track, that Melodyne was able to dissect into two different tracks for editing, one for guitar, and one for vox.

It's a Blue Dragonfly mic that he talked about for the combined guitar and voice.

Pete - is that right - single track that you used Melodyne to split into separate guitar and vox?

Mac #36788 09/18/09 11:31 AM
Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the tips Mac, I'll give it a try.

Yeah, like Rock says it's a Blue Dragonfly Deluxe. It's #193 out of 275 made.
And I'm recording voice and guitar at the same time on the one mic.
Then when I add some reverb it stereoizes it.

Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
That is pretty much correct Rock.

I started with a mono track with voice and guitar combined. I had turned it into a stereo file when
I added the reverb and had used some eg and compression. I could have gone back to the original
mono track but in this instance I used the processed stereo file. 16 bit 44 .

When I entered it into the melodyne what I got was a large field on note blobs. The melodyne accurately read the
meter would click right along with my playing which is cool and may come in handy for other types of editing. I also see that
you can directly record into the melodyne. They did send an extensive pdf manual which is better than programs I've actually paid for.
BACK TO THE BLOBS - the horizontal lines were the notes of the musical scale and I could see some blobs were right on and others were not - to find the singing notes was trial and error , but I could tell by the timing pretty much where the sung notes were and once I got the melody line going visually I could pretty much follow it on the grid. I only did a few nudges and held up a few notes that dropped off pitch because they were held too long. The program will edit pitch, pitch transitions,formants, timing and has several other features I haven't looked at yet. I do own Melodyne Uno which is their most basic editor.

If you saw the promo video that came out about a year ago, it's not going to be that level of separation of polyphonic material in the visual presentation. At least for me it was a little more difficult to determine what I was hearing from what I was seeing, but it did seem to all be there. It did take a couple of minutes to take my original file into the Melodyne (PowerMac with dual 2.0 processors, pre-intel) and they did suggest to enter only the sections that needed edits to save time. The other caution is that the vocal may include guitar notes if the pitch and timing coincide. That wasn't a problem for me , but could have been.

PeteG #36790 09/18/09 12:12 PM
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was beginning to wonder if Melodyne's DNA (Dynamic Note Access) feature was going to be vaporware forever- I've watched the demo video since the beginning of this year. Glad to see that it's finally coming out and a beta is available. I've been using the Melodyne plug-in for a few months, and it has been very helpful on doing subtle and not-so-subtle pitch correction and note timing corrections. I'm looking forward to trying out the new version.

Regards,
Doug

Visit the Elegance Music page on MySpace for samples of my current work.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Then that's really exemplary stuff Melodyne pulled off.

Thanks for the explanation.

BTW -- the reason I asked is that I think your voice might do better with a dynamic mic on it. My first choice from my cabinet would be an EV RE-15 or RE-20, but the good old standby Shure SM57 WITH the Shure made long rubber boot on it would do the trick. Okay to still put the blue mic up close to the guitar and record to two channels. Get that cardioid dynamic thang goin' up close to your lips, man. But now that I better understand what was done for this example, this was better saved for a later time. Or not.

--Mac

Mac #36792 09/21/09 10:58 PM
Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Good Mac, I've got a SM57 -but no rubber boot?

Funnest trick with the melodyne is take a sound file and
change the modality or minor/major scale with a couple
of clicks. Whole new song.

PeteG #36793 09/22/09 04:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the heads up, Pete

I have used Melodyne on vocals before but the new developments could be really useful

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Pete do you think the BETA was just to get the basic code working and the other stuff we saw in the video a year ago might be added when the code is clean or do you think that will be maybe ver 2.0.
There's a lively discussion on the general form over there and some good beta test that several folks have done.
Looking forward to the Nov release, Wyndham

Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Weinsam,

Glad I could keep you abridged!

Off-Topic
PeteG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Hi Wyndham,

I guess my first thought is that the original super impressive videos we saw last year were more a graphic artists fantasy creation than a look at how the program was working. If this is where the program is now where could they have been a year ago? Of course this is the low end program, my upgrade from Uno is listed at around $130 , so maybe they will add snazzier graphics and more bells and whistles to the upper level programs? As basic as it is , it is still an easy to use editor that gives musical results and does something that no other program can do, so that ain't bad!

I looked at the Melodyne forums a few days ago , but I'm sure things are being added rapidly and I shall keep in touch.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,537
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173