#41549 11/03/09 03:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I have a simple question but still have not figured out how to do it. I want to play, say, 3 choruses of a tune. On the first chorus, I would like the melody to mute so that I can play lead. On the second chorus, I would like the melody to unmute so that the recorded melody can be heard. On the third chorus, I would like the melody to mute again so I can play lead. I want to do this automatically without having to right click on the melody button to mute it during the choruses when I play lead. How do I do this?

npac #41550 11/03/09 04:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran
You may easily mute and unmute tracks during specific choruses via the Bar Settings dialog (F5).

Martin
MartinB #41551 11/03/09 08:45 PM
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I think MartinB's solution is version specific. Which version are you using?

BarryKJ #41552 11/04/09 02:59 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Bar Settings have been around for quite some time now. <right click> on any bar and change the settings. Don't forget that you have to do it again if you have muted to turn them back on!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
WienSam #41553 11/04/09 04:18 PM
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I have version 2008.5

I tried the F5 Bar Settings dialog that MartinB suggested, and it works, but only for specific bars. What I would like to do is control the mute settings for melody for entire choruses. For example, I'm currently working with a 32 bar piece, with three choruses of the same 32 bars. I woudl like to mute the melody for all 32 bars in chorus 1, play the melody for all 32 bars in chorus 2, and mute the melody again for all 32 bars in chorus 3.

There's a Melody/ Mute Melody during Middle Choruses setting, but what I would like is to Mute Melody during any specified chorus. Is there such a setting?

npac #41554 11/04/09 04:33 PM
R
Expert
Expert
R
At the top of the F5 screen, there is a dropdown box to apply the mute to a specified chorus. I'm not sure it is in 2008. Choose the chorus, select the instrument and mute/unmute.

If you're using a MIDI keyboard, there are ways you can control muting via the kb.

R

Rachael #41555 11/04/09 05:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran
The BB 2008 Bar Settings dialog does provide chorus selections - works here like a charm, even with BB 2008.

Martin
MartinB #41556 11/05/09 08:34 AM
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Rachael, Martin, thanks for the help. I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but I still don't follow. When I do F5 the window that comes up says "Edit Settings for Bar" whatever bar number I'm on. I see the window that says "Settings apply to Chorus #" and I can select whatever chorus number I want. However, I would need to repeat that setting for each bar, by first selecting a bar from 1 through (say) 32, then selecting whether to mute or unmute the melody for that bar for each of the choruses.

I guess that would work, but what I was hoping to do is to first select the chorus, then mute or unmute the melody for all 32 bars for that selected chorus. That way I could do it in 3 steps instead of 32 steps. Am I missing something?

npac #41557 11/05/09 11:09 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello

The bar settings "stick", until you F5 on a later bar and set them to something else. If all you do is click at bar 5 of chorus 1 and mute the melody, it will stay like that until the end of your song.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Thanks, Andrew. If you could bear with me one more time, here's what I did, and the results (didn't work). If you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, that may be the easiest way for me to understand.

I am playing "Ballad for Gloria" Bossa Melodist #136 that came as a demo with my 2008.5 version (beautiful little piece). It has 36 bars with melody arranged as three choruses. If I play it as is, it repeats three times, each time with a melody, as it should.

I now set my curser on bar #1, press F5, and in the upper window I select chorus #1 and in the volume window along the left, I select Mute in the melody window. I hit OK. I press F5 again, verify that chorus #1 is still set to Mute, then select chorus #2 in the upper window, and in the melody window I select Back to Normal. I hit OK, then F5 just to verify that chorus #1 has volume set to mute and chorus #2 has volume set to back to normal. I do nothing with chorus #3. I hit OK again.

If I have this right, this should not play the melody on chorus #1, but should play it on choruses #2 and #3.

I play it but it mutes the melody on all three choruses. What did I do wrong?

npac #41559 11/05/09 01:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I could be wrong, but I don't know if you can actually make that setting for all three choruses on the same bar. Andrew may have the answer for that.

In the interim, I would probably do the following: Set bar 1 to mute the melody the first time through (as you did). Then go to the last bar of the chorus (bar 36) and set the melody back back to normal there for chorus 1. Not perfect, but I believe it will work.

Otherwise, you may just have to unfold the song to one big chorus (108 bars) and and make the settings then (turn melody off at bar 1, turn it back on at bar 37.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
npac #41560 11/05/09 02:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If I have this right, this should not play the melody on chorus #1, but should play it on choruses #2 and #3.

I play it but it mutes the melody on all three choruses. What did I do wrong?

Just double-checked here. Following your otherwise perfect description, I obtain muted melody on chorus #1 and sounding melody on chorus #2 and #3. Not sure what may have gone astray on your side. Maybe you double-check too.

Martin
MartinB #41561 11/05/09 02:58 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Have you first copied the Melody to all Choruses (In the Melody Edit Menu)?

Mac #41562 11/05/09 03:11 PM
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Martin, what version did you check it on? I have 2008.5. If it works for you but not for me (I did double check), there might be a version difference.

jford, good thinking, I did what you suggested and your work-around does work. I have to go to the last bar and set the melody back to normal. Not sure if that trick will work on an arbitrary chorus, will have to check.

Mac, no I didn't copy the melody to all choruses. This is one of the canned examples, so I didn't want to change it. Besides, the melody does play on all choruses if I don't do anythingm, what I want to do is to mute the melody on arbitrarily chosen choruses.

npac #41563 11/05/09 03:13 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Are you running the latest Update for your version of the program?

Mac #41564 11/05/09 03:40 PM
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Mac, just checked. I was running Build 263 and the latest was 265 so I upgraded, first to 264 then to 265. Still doesn't work the way that MartinB said it worked for him.

npac #41565 11/05/09 05:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Checked on BB 2009.5(287) and on BB 2008.5(263). You haven't by any chance muted the melody track via right clicking on the melody part?

Martin
MartinB #41566 11/06/09 04:45 PM
N
npac Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I think I just figured it out. The instructions you all gave me are correct, but the songs I was trying this on did not start the chorus at bar 1, it was more like bar 5. They had a lead in before beginning the chorus. When I used bar 1 to mute the chorus with the F5 key, there is no chorus at bar 1 so it did nothing. When I changed it to bar 5 with the F5 key, I could mute or return to normal at will. My bad. I figured this was an easy issue, thanks to everyone who chipped in to help!

npac #41567 11/06/09 05:04 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Thank YOU for taking the time to let us know of the resolution to this one.

Have Fun,

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173