Go To
RealBand
R
Rustywp Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
If I have a midi song with a bad sounding midi instrument- say a guitar, how to I replace the midi with a real guitar? I can generate a real guitar, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the song- it doean't take the time that replacing an instrument in BIAB does.

Is what I want to do possible? I think you can replace a midi drum with real drums-correct?

Thank you!

Rusty

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Here is the scoop.

RT's come in two flavors, Rhythm and Soloist. You can replace midi drums with real drums because they are both Rhythm tracks.

Now a RT Guitar playing Rhythm will follow the chords and timing with various strumming and picking styles so it can be used to replace any other Rhythm track (for example the piano). The RT Guitar playing as a Soloist will improvise and play over the chords but they can not be used to replace a Rhythm instructment.

Last thing, a midi guitar will play the midi notes, not so with a RT Guitar. These RT's are wav files and do not play the actual notes in the midi score.

Is that clear? And is that what you were asking?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You can replace a MIDI track with a RealTrack, but you can't get the RealTrack to play the exact same notes as the MIDI track did.

To get the exact same notes as the MIDI track but a better sounding guitar requires use of a better sounding MIDI synth solution.

--Mac

RealBand
R
Rustywp Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
You have answered my question- Yes, I know the RT will not play the same notes- I just want it to play the same chords and be in time with the song.

As I said, I'm doing something wrong- when I try to replace a midi track with a RT, there is no "rendering" being done, as there is when I apply a different style to BIAB chords that I manually entered.

Can you tell me the steps involved?

Thank you!

Rusty

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well you don't actually replace it per say. Right click on an empty track. Choose "select & generate a RT" choose the one you want. Beware of tempo & feel. That's it. Delete the midi track/s you don't want.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
--Or just simply MUTE the MIDI track you don't want to hear.

Might be better than deleting or killing a track in the long run, for you may have to revisit the MIDI track again as the project progresses.

--Mac

RealBand
R
Rustywp Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
OK, I understand what you are saying, but when I create a RealTrack for a song, it has NO relation to the song! It's not in rhythm- it starts at the very beginning of the track, even tho the midi tracks start together a couple seconds into the track.

I can't see that it's possible to immediately generate a RealTrack for a song! How can it, without having to go through the chords???

RealBand
R
Rustywp Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I just tried adding Real Drums to a midi song- same results- the RealDrums start right at the beginning of their track and are in no way playing in time with the two midi tracks, so, I am going to assume that it is not possible to add Real Tracks to a midi file- it's either all midi or all RealTracks.

None of the recent responses are addressing my request of telling me the steps, which leads me to believe that it can't be done.

RealBand
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I've noticed that if I am just previewing a track with real drums using the default MS synth, there is a timing problem with the synth and the real drums. If I change to a dxi/vst, the drums and synth are in sync in real time. There is a latency adjust in preferences/audio, and I believe there is a file included to help with setting this up.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Rusty,

Was the midi file created in BIAB? It sounds like the tempo of the midi did not load with the file. Either that, or the tempo of the midi file varies. Just a thought for what it's worth. I load midi files from BIAB into RB, add Realtracks and Realdrums and they work fine for me.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I just tried adding Real Drums to a midi song- same results- the RealDrums start right at the beginning of their track and are in no way playing in time with the two midi tracks, so, I am going to assume that it is not possible to add Real Tracks to a midi file- it's either all midi or all RealTracks.

None of the recent responses are addressing my request of telling me the steps, which leads me to believe that it can't be done.

It can be done.

But, of course there are caveats.

The MIDI file you chose, what is the Time Signature?

The RealDrums file chosen, does it fit within the BPM range to match the BPM of the MIDI file?

As for RealTracks, yes, you must have the right chords on the grid before you can invoke a RealTrack that would follow your MIDI file's chord changes. The program can "get chords from MIDi file" and that is one way to get them there.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If your using downloaded MIDI files all bets are off. Some can be made to sync others can't. If the midi file was created on the fly with midi controllers being played in real time by musicians there's likely to be fluctuation. Ther's nothing that would prevent them from recording a song with the sequencer set to 123 BPM and actually recording it at 125 BPM. Any RT or RD would generate at 123 & never line up.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Or the most common problem with downloaded MIDI files -- the person who recorded the file did not stop to set the BPM or the Key signature to fit their playing, they just hit Record and waded in. So the default of 120 BPM and key of C is still in the file header, but it is at another Tempo in reality -- and another Key.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I suspect the team of responders have nailed this one as a problem with the Midi. Perhaps if you post the file this could be fully verified.

Good Luck

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi Rusty,

If you want to generate a RealDrum to suit your Midi Tracks, highlight the bars in the track you intend to use and then, from the Right Click Menu in the Main Tracks Window access the RealDrum Window. Select a RealDrum which approximates to the Tempo and Style. Check the Tempo Window for any variations during the song. Enter Part Markers in the Bars after you want a Drum Fill.

RealBand
R
Rustywp Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Sorry for the delay in getting back here again- the "magic word" was DOWNLOAD- we were trying to add Realtracks to downloaded MIDI files, and I guess RT was saying, "Huh???" NO WONDER there was no "rendering time"- congrats on figuring this out.
Now, I'm thinking that DLing a MIDI file, letting RT determine the chords (which it should be able to do very acurately I would think), THEN applying a RB to the chords, is the best way to do this- do you agree?

Rusty

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The translation of MIDI to chords can be very accurate.

That is because all of the note-on data is right there, by the note, on the timeline, so there are not the same kind of problems faced when trying to extrapolate the chords from an audio file.

But -- there can be problems sometimes, simply because a MIDI file may contain notes from instruments that are not part of the "base" chord.

For example, the base chord might be a straight C Major. And that, of course if what the guitar player, likely the piano player, etc. would play there. Just the C Major notes of C, E and G, doubling some to suit.

But let's say there's a melody line also in that MIDI file where the melody is crossing *other* notes that are in the scale, in the key signature, but not in the straight C chord.

Well, the algorithm has no way of knowing those things. So it would look at the notes for the C chord and also see that one other note in the Melody, or maybe transition notes in the horn section, something like that -- and it would come up with something in the way of a chord that either has extensions on it that you wouldn't ordinarily put in the chord chart, such as "C6" or "C9" when in effect all you want is the C chord there.

The same problem may happen with slash chords, where you might have a situation where the C chord has an E in the bass: C/E

The chord interpreter might come up with "E+" -- Eaug -- simply because it is working off of the idea that the lowest note is the bass note for a chord.

But you should be able to manually fix the chords that do that and then get on with it. It is still quite the shortcut.

--Mac

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
If you click in the Chord Window and select the Custom Chords Option, you can set the the Chord Wizard to use certain tracks and formats when interpreting the Chords. This sometimes helps.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,677
Posts735,857
Members38,537
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas
38,536 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177