Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Well, I for one have given up on getting asio to work with biab. Im using mme and its been good. I havent crashed all day so Im a happy man.

Im working on a small expermental piece that I will then export to RB. Then I'll have to use asio in that.
If I cant get it to work in RB, since I need to lay audio guitar tracks down, then its gonna be sonar. I know very little of sonar but Ive already recorded some tracks with it and have had no problems using asio drivers with it.

Cheers

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
Veteran
Veteran
dfaris, I use ASIO4ALL in RB and it works fine. There's a quirk, though. When I start the song playing in RB, I get no sound although everything looks to be working. Then I stop it, start it again, and it looks like the system has locked. It hasn't, though. After waiting for about 10 secs, the song plays. After this initial behavior, ASIO4ALL is very well-behaved. As a note, the same thing happens with ASIO4ALL in my Sonar Home Studio. I'm not sure if this is universal behavior but it's something to keep in mind when you try ASIO in RB.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'll keep that in mind. I have a long way to go before the full RB experience.

Im writin out my first song, not that Im expecting it to be any good, for me its the journey and not the destination right now. Im starting to get a few ideas on how to use biab as a tool. Its already taught me a few lessons in arrangement and chord structure, so Im headed in the right direction.

Im glad I got the whole driver issue dealt with.
Im sticking with mme drivers and laying down audio tracks outside of biab.
But im sure I'll have alot of questions when I get to the RB stage. At least I know it has its own forum now. lol

Cheers!

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

TY, Noel96 ... but, no.

This is happening with no other programs running. Even if it were, Cubase has an audio setting to release the ASIO drivers when it is not the active window.

"Drivers, drivers, drivers..."

Drivers and how they are written are one of the key causes that people blame host softwares for problems. i guess the fact that the driver is not seen onscreen has something to do with that.

However, be sure that you visit the webpage of the manufacturer of your chosen device and make certain that you have downloaded and installed the latest driver release for it and your OS. Some manufacturers will webpublish older and newer drivers for the same OS, too, because some people find that the older version works and plays well with their system while the newest driver does not. Look for older drivers published at the same time as newer ones, for that is usually the only clue you will get on those support pages. Try each if necessary, in turn.

Quote:

Someone else here stated flat out ... since I'm a new user, I'm blocking on their name ... that the Echo Audio Indigo ASIO drivers simply didn't work with BIAB. They recommended ASIO4All, which I've used before, and that didn't work. I also have the 'Multimedia' and 'Full Duplex' ASIO drivers. Some would work once or twice, and then fail. This is on my dual core laptop. I've had the same problem on my desktop DAW with RME ASIO drivers.

Over the years i have read such on audio related forums for each and every sound device I've ever owned. Meanwhile, I've been able to run ASIO drivers with pgmusic products on all of them after doing a bit of web research on what to do, what to tweak, what not to tweak -- and heeding the above about "drivers, drivers, drivers..."

Matter of fact that I've seen posts right on this forum saying that the two soundcards I'm currently using all the time with pgmusic products, the M-Audio Delta or the E-MU 1616M, do not run at all with BiaB, PT or RB. Yet I use them every day with little problem.

The only device I've seen where pgmusic had to readdress their coding to work with its drivers was the Protools stuff. Even then, it was just a nagging error message and after hitting Okay, the sound devices from Protools worked fine with pgmusic products. ASIO

Quote:

But, as I said, since I'm not trying to record ... just use it as a midi sketch pad, the MME drivers are OK with BIAB.

That is correct. Playback does not need the only thing that ASIO gives us over Windows Sound Drivers, which is the slightly lower latency figure. Both drivers make the same PCM digital audio soundfiles, there is no difference sonically whatsoever between the two.

Quote:

I've also found myself less than thrilled with the DAW plug-in window ... the primary reason I upgraded to 2010 after a long run with v11. Since I can't get the ASIO drivers to work, I cannot run Cubase with it anyway. Also, even though I can 'drag n' drop' a midi file from the desktop or a folder to Cubase; I can 'drag n' drop' a BIAB part to a folder or desktop as a midi file; I can't 'drag n' drop' a BIAB part from the DAW Plugin window to Cubase!

I installed a version of Cubase that I have here just to check that out. Found the identical situation.

BUT -- since the D&D works from pgmusic to Explorer, I'm placing the blame on something in the Cuibase coding. You might want to take this up with Cubase. Good luck.

Quote:

They should hire away someone from Steinberg/ Yamaha who really knows their Audio stuff...

PG has people who "really know their audio stuff".

As far as the rest of your rant goes, every product you compare to BiaB is missing that one key feature: They do not have an auto-accompaniment generator in them at all.

Bad common denominator, then.

Cubase has and has had its share of screwups and still does. I won't list them, I've been through some, though. So have all the other companies. Just visit their forums to see.

And those companies don't seem to be as nice about free updates that fix problems as PGMusic has shown, time and time again.

But there is no other software on the market that does what BiaB does. Not even close.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Well, I for one have given up on getting asio to work with biab. Im using mme and its been good. I havent crashed all day so Im a happy man.

Im working on a small expermental piece that I will then export to RB. Then I'll have to use asio in that.
If I cant get it to work in RB, since I need to lay audio guitar tracks down, then its gonna be sonar. I know very little of sonar but Ive already recorded some tracks with it and have had no problems using asio drivers with it.

Cheers

You seem to be missing a very important point here.

<since I need to lay audio guitar tracks down,...>

Unless this is a midi guitar, you don't need ASIO. ASIO is only necessary if you're having a problem with latency (delay) in playing a midi instrument live. If you're simply talking about plugging in your regular guitar use MME. The only time I need ASIO is when I'm using my keyboard as a controller to play a software synth. Hardware, either a sound module, a keyboard or your guitar just plugs into whatever you use for audio input and ASIO is not required.
On my system, ASIO works but not that great. I can get the latency down to 20ms not the 6 or 7ms that Mac and others can get. Since I rarely use it anyway, I can live with that. Again though, that is only referring to live, real time playing/recording of a midi software synth while hearing my other tracks. There is no delay using hardware so it's irrelevant.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
@Mac ... you are knowledgeable and a great BIAB apologist. Of course all software has their screwups.

But, my rant or not, your defense of the driver issue is weak. What you overlook is the fact that, in my case at least, I'm running Cubase5, AcidPro, Ableton and several standalone synths with my current ASIO drivers and I've never had a single problem with any software I've demoed in the past! This is on several computers. And, you shouldn't assume that others are ignorant of installing the latest ASIO drivers from the manufacturers. Just because someone is new to using a particular software doesn't mean they are new to digital audio.

So, why do these updated and properly istalled drivers work every where else and not with BIAB? Works for some and not for others? hmmmmmm...

BTW ... I think the person that stated Echo Audio Indigo drivers wouldn't work was Andrew somebody, who if I recall was also a BIAB 'Expert.'

Also, regarding your 'ask Cubase,' Cubase doesn't advertise that their products work with BIAB, but BIAB advertises that their product works with "Nuendo." So, whose responsibility is it then?

Your off hand remark about the latency issues between MME and ASIO is rather disingenuous. C'mon 7 ms with 256k buffer vs. 120 ms with 5128 buffer is the difference between functional recording of midi or audio with playback and not. Hardly an inconsequential issue.

Finally, I think if you carefully read my "rant," you'd see that "75% brilliant" is an overwhelmingly positive appraisal of the basic concept of BIAB. The quirky and PITA is some of the implementation. I think I also made a realistic positive recommendation of how the company could enhance their actual product.

Prado

Prado

Prado

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Whatever.

Mine work.

Peace,

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,255
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S
38,547 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181