#110053 03/30/11 07:06 AM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I render my BIAB songs to WAV files, then export them to MP3s via Audacity at 224 bps...
I play them back thru Windows Media Player and they sound really good..
Burn the MP3s to a cd and use a SONY DVD player connected via audio out to a Mackie mixer/BBE/JBL eons...
But the tracks don't sound any where near as good as they do thru WMP...
Am I missing something here, or just doing it wrong?

dmrodes #110054 03/30/11 07:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Well, you can't "burn MP3s to a CD", only WAVE files, so your CD burning software must be doing some additional conversion that is affecting the quality. Unless you can get control of that, just burn your WAVE files to the CD.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
Also check to see if you have any audio effects on in WMP such as eq, bass boost, etc.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Keebo #110056 03/30/11 10:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran
There are some CD players that will play MP3s. I don’t know what process they use because as far as I’m concerned why not use wavs! MP3s use less space but do not sound as good as wavs IMO. Plus I burn wavs so they can play on anyone’s CD player.

Back to the initial discussion, another factor is what is the difference between your computer sound system (amp/speakers/settings etc) and your stereo system. I see you have listed your stereo system but not your computers. Listening an a good computer system (pro amps and near field monitors) can sound different when listened through a home stereo, even a good home stereo.

Plus as Matt has indicated are you burning a data CD containing MP3’s or are your converting a MP3 to a CD wav file? Check and see what the file type is on the burned CD. IF it’s a CD wav file then some kind of conversion is being done to your files.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #110057 03/30/11 07:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I concur, some burning programs can accept MP3s but it is not recommended for both quality and compatibility reasons.

The OP said the first step is to render BIAB to .WAV files. If so, just use those to burn the CD. MP3 is not needed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I've read there's a difference in the actual cd you burn to - some specifically made for burning music others for data. Some people even prefer a specific brand. Does that matter as well? Or not....

Veteran
Veteran
It used to matter. The CDs marketed as "Audio" CDs were more expensive because the manufacturers paid a fee to the record companies, supposedly to offset losses of sales due to illegal copying and sharing. The audio CDs held 80 minutes of music, as opposed to those marketed for data, which are typically 74 minutes.

I don't think there is any practical difference anymore. Once people realized they could use data CD blanks for music, the scheme fell apart and all you could find in most stores were the cheaper data CDs.

All this happened many years ago, so I may have scrambled a detail here or there.

As to color of the recordable surface, there are some who have found a particular type of blank works better (fewer errors) in certain brands of burners. I think it also has to do with the precise color of the laser used for burning, and for reading. Some brands of burners will make recommendations, but I always though that had just as much to do with marketing agreements as technical requirements.

Veteran
Veteran
Also a few years ago some CD players would not play color CDs. In fact I had one that didn’t. So I’ve been using non-colored CDs since. I do not know if that is still the case or not but why take a chance?

I have also lost data on those ultra cheap off brand CDs. If you stick with brand names (Verbatim, Memorex, TDK etc) you should be fine.

Lastly to insure a good burn burn at a slower rate. Although my CD burner and CDs are rated at 52x I burn my music at 24x. I know there is a lot of pros and cons about this however I have never lost any data when burning at 24x.

A very important fact is never burn faster than the CD media’s fastest recommended speed. Personally I always burn slower than the recommended speed but as you may have guessed by now I am a little paranoid! Once bitten twice shy

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
First of all, yes you can burn MP3s to a CD - I've been doing exactly that for a few years now...
The files on my 'gig' CD are ALL MP3s...

I convert them to MP3s (224bps - high quality) from WAV files so that I can fit all of my 60 songs on one CD, and have read in numerous places that the audio quality difference between a WAV and an MP3 is minimal and not detectable to the average person....

I burn the CD at 4x - the slowest and highest quality.

As I said above, I have a very good PA setup...

The SONY DVD (audio out - NOT headphone jack) should output the MP3s at a high quality as well.

So I remain confused and frustrated....

dmrodes #110062 04/03/11 08:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Although it still has not been determined, with the volume of songs you have on a CD, it sounds like you are creating a data CD rather than an audio CD. Your CD player on the gig is able to play those data files as audio (not all CD players can).

For an audio CD, the MP3 files would first have to be de-compressed by the software. In your case, though, I don't know what is happening.

The rest of your description of hardware connections, burning speed etc. sounds fine. What CD burning software are you using? Also, could you elaborate on "does not sound any where near as good"? Are we talking EQ, hiss, stereo image, clarity of the sound, or what? That might give more clues.

D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Using Windows Explorer to burn my CDs...should I be using a more 'sophisticated' burner?

The 1st question asked in the burn is "is this an audio or data CD?"

As far as the quality of the gig mp3s - they just aren't 'clean' sounding... I guess muddy would describe them... I plug the SONY DVD into a regular channel of the Mackie mixer, so I can adust the hi/low for each song if needed...but that only results in too much treble/bass... Do I need some sort of 'interface' going from the audio out of the SONY into my mixer? The vocals and piano sound really clean/clear coming out of the JBLs, with the BBE doing its thing... so it is not the PA....

I use MP3Gain to level out the volumes on my gig CD - could that program be 'affecting' the final product?
Even with that, I find I'm always scrambling to adjust the volume knob on the mixer once the song clicks off... I don't understand this volume discrepancy from song to song... is there a 'volume' setting that controls how loud the song gets rendered to a WAV? When I load in the songs into Audacity (to make MP3s) the wave form varies widely from song to song?? And when I bring them into MP3Gain - the listed volume dbs also differ greatly - some at 90.x, and others at 79.x - so SOMETHING is affecting the rendered volume...

Hope that answers some of the questions... appreciate any/all feedback here...

dmrodes #110064 04/09/11 07:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran
This is an interesting thread, so I wanted to get back to it and see if anyone knows how to help dmrodes. This last post gives more good clues.

Dmrodes, how do you answer that 1st question about whether you want to burn an audio or a data CD?

Could you tell us more about "MP3Gain" and what that is? I'm not familiar with it. Also, I can't really help with the other software you are using, since I don't use any of those to make my MP3s, but it all is commonly used and someone here must have experience.

The "volume discrepancy" is one area where I think a problem could be occurring. Your CD burning software could be trying to normalize each song before burning (just a guess) and in general, I do not let software do anything for me like that - I make sure it cannot make major changes to my songs. In other words, in Audacity, you could use normalize and perhaps limiting to make sure the average gain (if it has that spec; otherwise use your ears) is closer to equal for all songs before you burn them.

You mentioned BBE. I have used that but do not any longer. It has an interesting effect that sounds pleasant at first, but to my ears leads to fatigue after awhile. Still, it makes songs more clear, not less, so I doubt that is the problem here, especially since it sounds like you are only using it correctly at the end - at the PA - instead of somewhere in the process of making your MP3s.

dmrodes #110065 04/15/11 07:39 AM
Hey, dmrodes and everybody else:

I don't know about older versions of BIAB, but for the last two versions you can create MP3's directly from within the program. It's a little strange, because BIAB first creates a WAV file, then renders the WAV to MP3. I do my entire solo (well, except for the tracks of course) guitar act from an Ipad, using only MP3's. While there is some degradation in quality from WAV's to MP3's, I think it's minimal, especially playing them back over a PA system instead of a great stereo system. Plenty good enough for live performance, IMO. If you're short on disk space you should go back and either delete or move the WAV's that are created, since they're huge compared to the MP3's.

The only problem I have with the MP3's created by BIAB is that they're volume levels are quite "hot" compared to the fully produced tracks I create in Sonar. I always render everything a -1 DB, just to make sure that I don't get any clipping when the tracks are mastered. For the BIAB MP3's I always end up running them through WavePad and using either the Soft or Very Soft presets to normalize them so they don't blast out of the PA compared to the Sonar tracks.

BTW, there is now a great app for both Iphone and Ipad called BackTrax. It is a dedicated MP3 player with a very large PLAY and a very large STOP button. It also STOPS after each track has played so you don't have to be constantly reaching for your playback device after a tune to keep it from going to the next tune.

You can also load Ipod playlists directly into the program, so if you've already developed a playlist for your act, all you have to do is load it up and go. It's under $10, too. I've communicated with the developer asking for a big VOLUME slider, and for a volume leveler as part of the program. The slider is definitely on the drawing board; the leveler - maybe.

So, there's my tip and/or trick.

- DR

dryan08 #110066 04/15/11 08:33 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Bottom line is that when you go from WAV (uncompressed) files to MP3 (compressed) files, you lose fidelity in the translation. If what I read is right, you want to burn audio CDs (CDA files) rather than MP3s, which is essentially a data CD (just data that happens to be music files). The 128 bitrate for your basic MP3 track will sound fine with those little bud things shoved into your ears, but in a room stereo scenario, with room acoustics in the equation, the fidelity loss will likely be evident. If you must do MP3, do them at 320 bitrate.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
There are mp3's and there are mp3'. Not all are equal.

My wave editor provides me two options when converting from wave to mp3:

1) Layer 3

2) Layer 3 - ACM

As far as I know, the ACM variety is better.

Layer 3 - ACM is the proprietary software of Fraunhofer:

I have converted WAV file to Layer 3 ACM (41,000 Hz/320 kbps), and played them on my car audio system (fortunately it plays MP3 files) and home system, and frankly I can't tell them from the WAV files. Maybe I'm too old to be able to tell.

Glenn

PS - I think once males get past 20 years old or thereabouts, very few of us can tell the difference.

Last edited by Glenn Kolot; 04/25/11 12:34 PM.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mattt's idea of using the normalize function within Audacity ought to help with getting comparable volume levels on all tracks. This could be part of a mastering method used to take rendered files down to a common dynamic set of levels, perhaps with some eq and compression and/or limiting used to achieve similar timbre and levels for all tracks being converted for performance use. Have you tried the normalize function within Audacity?

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Well, you can't "burn MP3s to a CD",

This thread lost me several miles back. Surely this is exactly what Windows Media Player does with the burn command?

This from microsoft.com...

"You can burn an audio CD from either Windows Media Audio (WMA), MP3, or WAV file formats."

I wasn't confused at all before, but I am now.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marc. I hope I did not create any confusion, as the process is explained as the thread develops. My original question was, is the OP creating a data CD that contains MP3s, or an audio CD? If it is an audio CD, then the MP3 files must be decoded by the CD burning software to put them into a .WAV format before burning. The OP stated that the MP3s sounded good but the resulting burned CD did not, so I started asking for details to find out if something is happening in the decoding. Mario correctly added that only some CD players will read MP3 data CDs properly. What I should have said originally was, MP3s are not burned directly to an AUDIO CD. Does that help?

Journeyman
Journeyman
If can avoid using mp3 at all, it should be done- period. The only time you should be using mp3 is for web purposes and, as I think you are OP, you use the highest kbs you can- certainly never less than 160kbs. Some sites will limit you to file size and you're forced to go with 128kbs- not good. And of course, it's convenient to dump mp3 to portable devices such as phones and ipods but even then, unless you're severely limited in storage capabilities, you should always go with your full res files. But anything written to CD should be 44.1/16 bit res- cd audio quality. But really folks, it's doubtful this is an mp3 issue or or wav file issue or anything like that at all. It's a mix issue.

When you say all sounds great using WMP, what speakers are you monitoring that playback from?

What audio monitors are you mixing with in the first place?

'Mackie mixer/BBE/JBL eons' -That's not a maximizer I see in there is it- that BBE? That'll change things too and imo, usually not for the better.

PA speakers are full range speakers. It's another speaker to judge the mix you've done. If it sounds crappy through them, your mix typically needs adjusting. In my opinion, you're just getting another listen on different speakers and they're telling you something- your mix needs adjusting. Or, your channel eq's need adjusting.

You could also check to see if your cd players bass boost is on to some extent, and that there is no eq preset going in the player. It wouldn't hurt to try a different player too. Good luck.

Btw- the issue of volume discrepencies between tracks is a mastering issue. Mixes should be uniform no doubt, but mastering is one of the processes that evens volumes between tracks. There is software out there these days to handle that. I like Sony CD Architect for the task. Just normalizing the tracks will not make all of them uniformly even in gain.

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
CD Architect is what I use as well.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,651
Posts735,449
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176