Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#124312 08/05/11 03:05 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been having playback problems with biab for the last two-three years. At first it only occured using real tracks, now it happens with midi as well. The problem is that the sound distorts. Sometimes restarting the song does the trick. It's ok if I export all the tracks as a wav, so no problem there.
Now I've tried using my PCs audio chip ( I've taken the soundcard out ) & the problem persists.
It's just as bad using MME drivers or ASIO.
My soundcard is a terratec dmx fire ( old but good ) Here's the details of my set up.
I'm running biab from the maxtor 500gb external hard drive. The problem was happening using biab hard drive, my internal hard drive as well. It's driving me nuts and has just started playing up using midi as well.
Wondering could it be a power problem ? It's a 500w power supply so there should be enough juice.

I'm running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 64 bit
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-MX SE Plus Rev x.xx
853.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
523.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Maxtor 6V250F0 [Hard drive] (251.00 GB)
Maxtor OneTouch USB Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) WDC WD2000JD-55HBB0 [Hard drive] (200.05 Gb
2944 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE [Display adapter]
2.70 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
By the way I've disabled fast generation in the song settings and it's not made any difference, also tried a factory reset of all drivers. I'm pretty sure the problems lie within windows as I've no problems playing back CD, online music streaming, youtube or any other audio software programme.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 64 bit

Graham -

I'm not criticizing here, but I am concerned why you chose to run XP 64-bit. It was never well accepted or supported when it came out and it didn't get better from there. Microsoft got better support (from 3rd party hardware/software manufacturers) with Vista 64-bit, and now Windows 7 is pretty well supported.

But XP 64-bit has always had troubles. Google "windows xp 64-bit problems" and you get 20,800,000 results.

If it's an affordability issue, I can understand not upgrading to Win7, but with only 3GB of RAM on your computer, I don't think you're getting much benefit from 64-bit, and all the PGMusic programs are 32-bit. I don't know, but does the 64-bit license allow downgrading to 32-bit. You may find your experience much better with that.

Just a suggestion.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just noticed that it's a 64 bit READY system John. IT IS a 32 bit system I'm running !

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Getting help from the tech team

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Despite a marvellous effort by Rob, we STILL havn't figured out why the playback's distorting on BIAB. However, we DID discover that whilst testing directx there was some distortion on playback. Now I downloaded the latest directx from microsoft and the problem still persists. I'm wondering if there's a way in the bios I can get more juice to the cpu ?

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Graham:

This might be a known old problem where XP detected a certain number of disk errors in a row - and automatically reverted the disk setup from DMA (Direct Memory Access) to PIO (Program Input Output). This problem is characterized by longer bootup times, more CPU usage than necessary, since the CPU must handle the disk read/write overhead when in PIO mode - and it also can make for audio stuttering.

Ctrl-A;lt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager, then hit the Performance tab at the top, start playing back a known troublesome program audio and see if the CPU ramps up to 100% or so and stays there. It would normally ramp up high, but would then go back down. If it stays there, suspect the PIO reversion problem.

There is a little program that you can download and run that will put a disk that XP reverted back to PIO mode back into DMA mode. This is cool beause it bypasses all the commands that you would have to do one at a time and in the right places to get Windows to put it back for you. Instead, just download the program and run it once.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Read that page, then download the program, which is named, "resetdma.vbs" to your dewktop, scan it with your antivirus just to be safe, then double click to Run it.

Now check your audio again with the same program and content as before.

If this works, fine.

If it doesn't, it should not harm anything by running it once.

Give that a try, Graham.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Graham:

This might be a known old problem where XP detected a certain number of disk errors in a row - and automatically reverted the disk setup from DMA (Direct Memory Access) to PIO (Program Input Output).

There is a little program that you can download and run that will put a disk that XP reverted back to PIO mode back into DMA mode. This is cool beause it bypasses all the commands that you would have to do one at a time and in the right places to get Windows to put it back for you. Instead, just download the program and run it once.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

this may be a little simpler:

You can check if DMA is enabled on any internal drive by going into the control panel, device manager, IDE controllers - Primary IDE - Advanced settings - General Trnasfer Mode.

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Checked DMA, it IS enabled. Nothing amiss in the bios either

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Good. That's out of the way.

Another thing that can cause these sorts of audio interruptions is IRQ sharing of sound device and certain other peripherals.

To get to your IRQs, go to "Start", "Run", and type in "msinfo32"(no quote marks, of course). Click "OK". In the resultant left-hand window pane, click on the "Hardware Resources" plus sign (+), click on "IRQs" and, after "polling" the computer, the right-hand pane will display what IRQ each peripheral is assigned to in the right window. Sort the table by clicking on the column headings.

Post your results into the forum for analysis.

Right click on My Computer, then Manage. Among the items you should see at the left side of the window is Device Manager. Click on that and a list of all devices installed in your computer will appear. At the menu on top, click on View then Resources by Type. Expand the Interrupt Request (IRQ) tree by clicking on the + sign. Next, either attach a print screen copy of the IRQ list for storage on a site that will let you link to here or make a note of all entries and paste it here as described below, which might prove easier. That will help us diagnose your problem further.

You can also “click & drag” in the IRQ table windowpane to “highlight” the text. Press <Ctrl><C> concurrently to copy the text. Use <Ctrl><V> to paste it into your posting.

--Mac

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wonder would a bigger PSU help ? I remember some issues with audio when I first got this PC. They were caused by the PSU which was only 350W. The company I bought the PC from sent me a bigger PSU ( 450W ) I've got a hunch 450W might be a tad on the small side with all the extra work the CPU has to do ?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've read this thread over and unless I missed it, can you play any other audio, from Media Player or a DVD , CD and get clear audio? Or is it just BIAB?
I had to reinstall everything once when my USB ports were just not working right. I did everything I could. I had no virus. But the only thing that fixed it was starting over and cleaning out whatever was interfering with it.

Can you get any other Music to play from other software clearly?
I'm sorry if I missed it, if you already stated it.
Since this started it's been bugging me, because I can't see why this is happenning to you. I had my BIAB running on a Pentium D (the worst CPU I ever had), slow and hot, with 1gb RAM and a fan that sounded like a hoover. And it has a really small power supply. But it still worked fine, even with the realtracks that I have. I find it hard to believe it's a lack of power, but every computer's different.
Wayne,

Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All other music plays perfectly. Spotify, you tube, cds, DVDs streaming radio etc...
I've ran biab from it's own hard drive, from two different internal hard drives, and at the moment from a 500gb external hard drive. Same results every time. At the moment it's at the stage where it's virtually unplayable.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Your power supply USUALLY doesn't enter the game until you use another piece of hardware that draws power, like a DVD drive or an external camera. That doesn't sound like you are overtaxing it just running BIAB.

My question is the volume settings. Are you maybe recording so hot you are clipping? Well, no, that was a stupid question. You are not recording, you are generating tracks....

Okay so when you play back, if you take it down to low levels, is it distorting even at low levels? Have you tried different speakers or headphones? Not likely going to help you if streaming internet radio and CDs play cleanly, but one more thing to check.

Everybody has given you solid t-shooting steps so far.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I agree Eddie. The power supply doesn't enter into this. Only BIAB and the MIDI as well. It's a puzzle.
He's installed it on internal and external drives. Maybe and old version that came on DVD. Try a quick simple install with RTs and stuff. I'm stumped.

Last edited by redguitars; 08/06/11 02:22 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For at least the last 6 BETA test sessions Graham has had constant issues with his computer.The reason I say this is that it's not a specific issue with any version of BIAB. One thing I will ask Graham is have you totally removed BIAB from your internal drive and tried to reinstall it. Maybe install an older version like 2008 before RTs and see if you can play MIDI files through the VSC DXi. If you can go to the next version. I'm shootin' in the dark here. Anyway that the drives you receive in the UK may get corrupted? Security scanning or some such thing.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

All other music plays perfectly. Spotify, you tube, cds, DVDs streaming radio etc...
I've ran biab from it's own hard drive, from two different internal hard drives, and at the moment from a 500gb external hard drive. Same results every time. At the moment it's at the stage where it's virtually unplayable.

But how about other music DAWs. Have you tried opening RealBand and then opening the .mgu file and see if it plays.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I DON'T have biab installed on the pc at all guys. I've tried running direct from it's own hard drive and the external Maxtor hard drive I use. Same problem. It's real tracks that seem to cause it grief. When this happens you can see the CPU go through the roof.
Could it be I've had a faulty CPU from the getgo ????????

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Maybe install an older version like 2008 before RTs and see if you can play MIDI files through the VSC DXi.

That's exactly what I meant, but failed totally to say.
2008, only with MIDI and the VSC dxi.
I reread my post and it was so vague. I'm glad you said what you did.

Boy, I am missing the mark lately. Got to stay away from the dart board.
Wayne,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried RB? Yes if the processor is going through the roof that certainly is not good. It should go up and then settle down a bit. I run BIAB fine with the Toshiba mentioned in my signature. Fast generation and all.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,667
Posts735,681
Members38,535
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra
38,534 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 175