Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac makes a good point as usual about the forum. I can normally remember posts I have read for several years, at least enough about them to remember that we talked about a particular subject. However, I can't prove that, since the older posts are no longer available. I used to be able to answer questions by referring someone to an older post, but I don't even try to do that now unless the post is very recent. The "book" everyone is requesting was probably almost 'written' once. Much of what people need to know was once in the forum posts, so it could have been assembled in part by good arranging and editing.

However, even though I used to keep a small library of common answers I had written so I could drop them into a post easily, I find that the nature of questions now has changed enough that my tiny library isn't current. The largest obstacle to writing a good Dummies book on Band-in-a-Box might be that PG Music invents new features so quickly, it would be difficult to keep up with them! Of course, that's a nice problem to have.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
In the meantime, the faq on the PG site will give plenty of questions to start with. It is logical to assume that most people check there first to get their answers, but having done that myself, I can testify that the answers seem to assume that you know more about the program, than a novice would know.

While helpful, they don't and probably can't provide enough step by step detail to get a dummy moving and grooving. The faqs are a great tool, but they do require some wading thru a lot of information, and some basic knowledge of midi terminology. So maybe a preliminary tutorial listing the terms and definitions. Terms like Patch, CC, Program Change, Event. Some people do not even know what to look for when trying to solve a problem.

toucher

Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
With no disrespect meant: I find the currently available videos for BIAB so tedious and slow to get to the meat of the matter they are almost unbearable.
The pdf help manual is more helpfull to me overall.

A BIAB for dummies would be great however. The manuals for Reaper published by LULU are relatively inexpensive and thorough. Spiral bound and the print quality is good. The mixing manual and the Using Reaper were 360 pages and at the time cost $12.95. I believe their prices have gone up recently .

Another option might be an online Wiki with user submitted input. Mac would be an excellent caretake imho.

Here a link to the Reaper Wiki.
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like that Reaper WIKI. Good suggestion.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

In the meantime, the faq on the PG site will give plenty of questions to start with. It is logical to assume that most people check there first to get their answers, but having done that myself, I can testify that the answers seem to assume that you know more about the program, than a novice would know.

Would that more would use the FAQ.

For one thing, I don't think people know how to access information quickly on a webpage FAQ by hitting ctrl-F and typing a keyword or phrase into the Find box. Even though the directions on how to do that are right at the top of every pgmusic FAQ page.

I was around when the FAQ page was started and it is indeed an attempt to cover most often asked repeat forum questions. It does a pretty good job of doing so IMO and I often answer forum questions by cutting and pasting from that FAQ page.

There is never going to be a situation where a program as intense as BIAB will allow instant gratification to a new user. Can't be done and still provide the level of complexity available, which, incidentally, is there more due to user wishlists and requests than any other reason.

I've even had the link to the FAQ page in my dotsig at the bottom of every post on this forum for two or three years, but I somehow doubt the majority of people have ever used the FAQ page here from the amount of times we answer the same question. Sometimes within hours the same question pops up again and again.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Sometimes within hours the same question pops up again and again.

--Mac

Unfortunately, that's a common theme in ANY online community ... regardless of the main subject or product of the site.

I am guilty as well. Most times, I will try to understand what the manual or FAQ is saying before I even dare posting a question. However, sometimes I may not quite understand the explanation. English is not my first language and I often "get it" (finally), if someone explains something to me in very basic and simple language. I am sure that many others have similar issues. Some people aren't very "technical" and that doesn't help the situation. I am sure you know that.

However, it would not hurt for users to sift through some pages of topics (if the search is NOT working, some sites just don't keep up with the search function), before asking the question. I've seen the same questions asked within a few threads apart. Now, THAT is something the user should keep into consideration before posting. It would help.

Just my observations.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Only this dumb forumboard search is broken -- or possibly intentionally truncated to save server space, dunno, but you can't find many posts from more than a few months back, much less last year. --Mac

I didn't know that. That's a shame.
In all the other forums I always search back to see if an issue has been covered already.
I can't tell you how much it kills me to see questions on guitar forums like "In what order should my pedals go?" or "What is a good bedroon practice amp?" AGH!

However, most of my BiaB questions usually concern new features in new versions that couldn't possibly have come up a year ago so I don't tend to search back much.

Well, now I know that I can't anyway. Too bad.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The post that always makes me go AGH!:

"What's the best _________?" (soundcard, mixer, pc, laptop, microphone, MIDI synth, left-handed fishing pole, you-name-it)

Um, best for what purpose?

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The post that always makes me go AGH!:

"What's the best _________?" (soundcard, mixer, pc, laptop, microphone, MIDI synth, left-handed fishing pole, you-name-it)

Um, best for what purpose?

--Mac

You ought to go to SoundClick's forums sometimes ... especially the more technical ones ... it's gotten so bad there, that most responses are:

"RTFM", or, "Google is your friend". In some cases just blatant ridicule by the more seasoned users.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Some peoples lives are "just too important" to bother with figuring it out for themselves. In this age of "instant self gratification" they figure they are owed..

My favorite type of posts are they that threaten to go to another software ..."if I can't get this going I guess I will go to XX since it works there"... to which I say "Goodbye".....or "I just have a quick question", which could have been answered faster if they would have typed it into the search box!

A few years back I noticed a rash of "I don't have the time to look for this....how do I..." and my pat answer was "Sorry, I don't have time to answer..." Rude, maybe, but not as rude as expecting folks to jump because you think YOUR life is so important...

Sorry...rant off....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
This concept sounds like a great idea to me. There are a few websites which play music that I care about and they have a PayPal 'Donate' button to help defer the time and expense of maintaining the site. The listener pushes the button and uses their PayPal account to make a donation.

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to chipping in some bucks to Mac in order for him to began work on a project like this. It could be in PDF or Word format for all I care, although I imagine it would need the blessing of the PG staff, et al.

With the text and some selected screen shots, I believe that the project would have a lot of value. Posting the drafts somewhere for proofing by the old timers on this forum would work also. Contributions from those that have advanced specific experience could also be a benefit.

So I say, "Why not try it?" No doubt it would become a difficult and time-consuming enterprise, but it would have a lot of value for a lot of folks.

My contribution, aside from any money, would be as the 'dummy' asking stupid questions...

Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If this ever gets off the ground, add my name to those volunteering to proof read. FWIW, I am a language professional (translator).

Marc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Moé la, ché acune problème pantout de donne un coup de main a faire une version en joual icitte, spas difficelle eh, car if fait frette ben trop lhiver et y a rien daut a faire mesque y a 6 pieds de neige et la pitoune est frezee jusqa le printemps...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Dang! J.C. speaks every UK and Canadian dialect, and now frog!

Must be interesting to have all of those words swimming around in your head...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love to see the reaction if you called my wife or kids frogs. I got WAY thicker skin than the bunch of them. In case you want to say it to her mother, use grenouille.\\

Anyway, Canada, being isolated from France very early, still speak the way Rablais wrote. Took me about 2 years to change from book french to backwoods Québecoise.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
General Montcalm camped on what is now my property in Lake George, NY. If he had been just a bit more successful, we would be speaking French in this country now.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still think the frog remark should be retracted. Perhaps I speak the Queen's English, and several French dialects, but the whole forum would erupt if you used derogatory adjectives or nouns against Italians, African Americans, etc. I have no objection to Canuck, but I view frog as the equivalent of the N word no one utters anymore. French Canada is a rich and diverse society, different in so many aspects that I do not suggest you will understand it. I at least have a multi layered ethnographic view of French Canada, from Ontario to most areas of Quebec. In the spirit of Monday, Louis Riel day in Manitoba, I suggest that the person calling people frogs, should rethink the personal attack and return to some sort of civil behaviour.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
Pardon my ignorance, but is "Canuck" a derogotory term? (NOI - I just don't know)

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think of it as a contraction...and you can call me that. But my wife, who is French Canadian, would just about claw out yer eyes if you called her a frog. And my daughter would treat you worse than that.. she is so proud of her heritage you would not want to cross her....

A lot of misinformation about French people is propogated. Check sometime how many French people were killed in wars. Popular culture suggests they ran away and were cowards. Just count the casualties. French people in Canada are so unlike English people that it is impossible for many to understand.

At the end of the day, do not call my wife, and my kids, and my in-laws, frogs. That is wrong.

Oh, and in someplaces we still call yanks, longknives. That is from the swords the officers wore which astounded the amerindians.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Hmmmm...just wondering how many times I've been called a "gringo" here in Texas, and a "Yank" by folks in the UK...both of those terms are used pretty frequently, but I have learned to take them in stride. Note also that I didn't call anyone a "Frog" just the language. I speak Tex-Mex and Texican myself sometimes, as I live here and try to communicate.

Nevertheless, since it was my intention to be humorous rather than insulting, I regret any perceived insult, as that was never my intention.

I hope this rather thin-skinned approach to stuff on this forum is not a trend...in any event, I'll just restrain myself in the future in order not to offend anyone.

If that's not sufficient, a warrant can be obtained and served by the PC Police I suppose...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,692
Posts736,082
Members38,542
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
KWADWO FRIMPONG, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez
38,541 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173