Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14259 02/11/09 06:14 PM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey guys.....This is a tune I wrote several years ago, and recorded at Gene Breeden's studio. It was on an old LP, and since it was our groups first album, we didn't catch a few probs in the mix. So I decided to redo the original tune in PG fashion. Well the group is no more, so I did a different feel to the song. I'd appreciate any feedback in regard to the mix that you can offer. Loud, soft, here, there, left, right etc.

It's a gospel song in somewhat of a Hinson family / Country style. Not really southern gospel, more like what I play now which is Christian country. Give it a listen if you would and don't be afraid to critique it. The final mix may go on a new cd I am working on, and I'm looking for quality on a budget.

thanks

Jesus Do It Again

toucher

Last edited by toucher; 02/11/09 06:16 PM.
toucher #14260 02/11/09 06:45 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I like the song.

The piano is fighting for space with the front stuff (vox, lead guit) a bit, I think.

You might try another realpiano there or maybe a pad type instrument, pedal steel or organ maybe, something like that.

The guitar fills, the vocal, then there's the piano chopping in and out and stepping on important things that should be front of the "picture" IMO.

Good strong vocal performance, good song!

(I'd also like to hear harmony vox on the choruses here... )

--Mac

Mac #14261 02/11/09 07:32 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Bounces along nicely, good tune. First thing I thought of was that harmony voices are almost a requirement for the chorus (I think I hear some other voices in there, but I could be wrong). Mac's right about the piano. Is it just a midi part? If so, maybe just turning it down might work. Guitar's probably too busy during the singing, also. Good luck with your CD.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
toucher #14262 02/11/09 09:54 PM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Noted guys........I'll play with the piano and I think the guitar gets a little busy at some places competing with the vocal both great points. harm vox are currently too low I guess, but for some reason they sound about right on my system. Dunno why that would be hmmmmmmm?

I'll see If I get a few more comments, and try to form a sort of compendium, at least a synopsis of suggestions then try to see which ones make the best difference.

Thanks for the listen and the comments.

toucher

toucher #14263 02/11/09 10:23 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well written good song - I like it. Just my opinion but the harmonies are a bit low for a song like this you kinda expect them to be more out front. Also I thought the piano was a little bit too far left and front. It was louder than the guitar to me. But I'm used to hearing songs like this produced a certain way so just my two cents. Again good Gospel song there. Sounds like it should be on that tv show where they all get together and sing...Gaithers?...ok so I can't think of the name of it....

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I liked it. I would have panned it just about how you did I think. Good vocal mix, yes two or three part harmonies (maybe one female) would be "stirring" on the chorus. Selective piano and guitar so as not to walk all over the vocals. Very good song.

toucher #14265 02/12/09 06:52 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Toucher. This is very good. Like the feeling. I used to hear this kind of stuff when I went to the Pentacostal Church. Some of the Baptist Churches played stuff like this too. This is the kind of music I miss at the church I belong to now.

In live production the piano would just about be out front like this is. What you might do is compress back the piano where your voice is singing to get an increase and decrease in volume sound.

Is the guitar real instrument or real you?

Good job Mate. I like this. I'm listening for the 3rd time as I type this.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Sundance, 3rds and Russ.......Thanks for the input, there seems to be a general conssensus with piano and vocal doing battle in places, and the guitar/vocal kinda having the same issue.

I could drop the piano entirely, but this song was written in one of those old Pentecostal churches that you mentioned russ and I can see the old piano player just banging their heart out trying to keep in the mix of the bass, drums and guitar, hehe. I guess he's doing a pretty good job this time. I'd like to leave the piano to at least some degree just to keep the old time feeling.

My wife said the whole song was too choppy, I think she is referring to the lead guitar licks and the drum track, have to look at that as well.

thanks for the listen and the input guys

toucher

toucher #14267 02/12/09 08:41 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

My wife said the whole song was too choppy,

She is saying the same thing that I said.

Reread what I said up there, pay attention to the idea of replacing the choppy piano with a PAD instead.

PAD instruments are the sustained sound instruments like the Organ, Strings, Synthesizer, Horns, etc. Of course, the genre here rules out many of these, I doubt if Strings would be appropriate, for instance.

But when we have two or more "choppy" sounding instruments in the bed tracks, it is verly likely going to be the case that one or more of them is not needed, let alone desirable. Unless they are all playing the same chop in unison, which might make it for an R&B track but again wouldn't really suit the genre here.

Think of the Pads like "sonic glue" -- that can bind the other rhythmic parts together as the song unfolds.

BTW there are ways to play the Piano part more like a Pad, or at least not get in the way of the other instruments. Use of a MIDI piano track from style or a RealTrack piano that wasn't really made for a fit in your particular song is something we must always be on guard against.

And never forget the ultimate song producers mantra -- "Less is more".

Sometimes just altogether removing a track that is taking up too much sonic space is the ultimate answer. Try muting a track and listening to the song, but only after you've let your ears and your built in memory for the thing relax a few days at least, then go back with fresh ears and relisten with all this in mind.

--Mac

Mac #14268 02/12/09 02:04 PM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi agin.......

I made some modifications based on y'all's input, and have a revised version. Let me know if you think it still needs this or that.

Russ.......The guitar is RT 412 soloist.

thanks
Revised Version

Last edited by toucher; 02/12/09 02:05 PM.
toucher #14269 02/12/09 02:30 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Much better mix! Backing vocals are louder and the instruments are out of the way of the vocals.

Some notes: a) I hearing some kind of tapping noise (like a foot tap) that doesn't seem to fit -- was that in the first version? maybe it is just part of the drum patch. b) maybe too much reverb on the guitar?

It's getting better all the time.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Kemmrich, I'll investigate the tapping see if I can hear it. May have to wait a few days though, the ears are gettin tired.

toucher

toucher #14271 02/12/09 05:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Toucher Good job on this one. GREAT lyrics, singing and arrangement.

The only problem I have is with the guitar intro. Those staccato palm muted notes are way too loud IMHO. Lower the volume on them and you will have a winner.

I really like this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
toucher #14272 02/12/09 08:39 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
YES YES YES!!!!

This is WAY GOOD, Toucher!!!

Loved it!!! Way to go, man!!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Can - will - you tweak some more - probably - but I must tell you that I just love it. Really well written song. The changes you made are spot on.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, there ya go, the response says it all, I think.

Don't. Touch. It.

--Mac

Mac #14275 02/13/09 08:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Toucher,

I was too slow to hear the 1st one but maybe I am glad I waited as what I am listening to right now is a very solid effort from lyric to arrangement to performance.

I Like!

toucher #14276 02/13/09 09:22 AM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks a bunch guys........now all I gotta do is a total re-write, and........

Just kidding....;) Ya'll are to generous with your compliments, but an ego needs to be fed too I guess.
I'm gonna let it rest over the weekend while I take my lil wifey on a valentine holiday to Ventura/Santa Barbara Ca. Mario I'll look at the intro volume when I get back with some fresh ears.

Thanks guys.

toucher

toucher #14277 02/13/09 03:29 PM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Toucher
Real good , strong with a great message.
Only comment might be that going into the verses, you pulled back from the mic a bit and lost a little push coming into the message. You might be able to tweak the gain a bit or it's could be my cheap speakers.
Good song, Wyndham

Wyndham #14278 02/14/09 12:42 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don't know, I may be wrong, but everything sounds pretty good to me.
Musicians will drive you crazy with revisions. LOL

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,317
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182