Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

MIDI is found everywhere in the music world. I don't understand why you would would say that people using loops and real tracks don't use midi, because the loops and real tracks don't REPLACE MIDI, they are used in conjunction with it to add new options.

I did imply the inclusive RT/RB users as I get the impression that some, not all, RT/RB users use them exclusively and do not use midi at all.

I was thinking of the people using ACID as many of them only use loops.

Of course you are right that many people use both and/or all three at once, RT/RB, MIDI and loops.

Sorry for the confusion.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, I'm pushing to have entire style disks based on using BIAB with Garritan Instant Orchestra. Kinda need MIDI for that. Not to mention the absolute joy of doubling up RealDrums with MIDI drums sent through BFD Eco or Addictive Drums. Seriously, it's unreal. Or too real. Or somethin'.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Veteran
Veteran
I'm on no side, but be pragmatic. Everything has it's day. The real reason right now is...financially to get rid of all the extra people at shows.

The business end is heavily weighted towards this. Click track you say? Well to run the light show you need either 30 people and controllers or ...a click track and a programmer.

I have done the manual lighting thing. 12 guys in a small room with over 100 big butt sliders, each one about 3 feet long with a twist know. You sheet followed the script and at this point you moved 1 to position 8 and 3 to position 4 bla blah blah. Loads of fun. Boat loads. Those par cans got mounted, pointed, gels stuck in the (sheets of hig temp plastic, I have 2 of these in my home studio. Each can is so hot you can feel it 10 feet away, like a heat lamp.)

Now all those lights can be led, midi driven, motorized and run off a pc running midi.

The average Joe can spend 800 bucks and get 4 par cans on a pole and light your show, right from Band in a Box. Which of us will use this? I have that gear, sort of. But setting up and running a show for $150 bucks, you are joking me.

So, the promise is the new version of midi will take the old commands in some string, run it on ethernet, or wireless, and the whole emphasis will shift.

Of course parts of the show may be done in the old midi and rendered to audio and messed with in a DAW, but that audio has to sync with a midi track.

I see the current version of midi too confusing for the new user, and it takes quite a while to learn it from scratch. It is after all a version of programming especially before there is sound, and then you become a sound engineer.

Most people just want to make music. RealTracks does that, and takes away complexity.

Map the future, follow the trends.

But the purpose of Band in a Box was not to spend hours messing with CC comannds to make a string track swell. You could spend a career on messing with strings tracks and make no music.

ASIO, MME, patch maps, chose you midi in, midi out, fix my usb, I can't hear the melody, I don't like the cowbell, wah WAH. Way too much time and effort to figure out joe's pc which he got from fred that is real good, and my wire is blue and goes there, and I have a 20 year old keyboard I got, (at a garage sale for 14$), and it doesn't work with the stupid software so I'm sending it back.

I just want to make music. If you remove the midi from the equation and market that as a separate program, and take away all the midi discussion, maybe you could sell 10,000 copies to 20 year olds who never heard of midi, all for $99 bucks. Almost no support. Sell add-ons.

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Meanwhile, MIDI is used in some aspect or other every day in studios all over the world, on stages and also in the creation of soundtracks for both television and motion picture.

--Mac

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

i have BIAB 2012 and its on windows. i have string instruments backing my jazz song i want to make them swell with emotion. does anybody know how to do that? Even if i have to use a different program? Thank you

SO... are your strings swellin' now ? Or maybe yer head after all this banter eh ?

Veteran
Veteran
Mitch, I have a strings section on my Korg and a volume pedal and I always play swell. I even increase and decrease volumes with it on the fly.

I like it better than codes. But I've got OTHER gear. (also)

John Conley
Musica est vita
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's just swell John. I use a volume pedal for my lap steel swells. Just don't do so good on my MIDI string tracks. I have no hardware other than the laptop and soundcard.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

But the purpose of Band in a Box was not to spend hours messing with CC comannds to make a string track swell. You could spend a career on messing with strings tracks and make no music.

ah, but part of what impresses me about this system is the way it provides hooks for us to use all sorts of musical tools that aren't proprietary to PGMusic.

MIDI controllers: we can tweak 'em if we want to (or not if we don't). But they provided a way to do it, and I really like and appreciate that.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Me too ! I'm a Real Tracks guy... If I got em'. When I don't, glad there's the MIDI option.

Veteran
Veteran
Yea, if my aunt was a man he'd be my uncle. And I do midi, at times, I got more midi based junk that the local junk dealer has stuff.

But, I try and put it behind me. LOL. It just keeps coming back.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Journeyman
Journeyman
See there, ya just can't quite quit MIDI yet eh ? Throw all those midi keyboards and other junk on the sidewalk and put a "FREE - take it all - quick" sign. Done. No more midi nightmares. You'll be a much happier man dontcha think ? "Hi, I'm John, and I'm MIDI free"

Veteran
Veteran
My wife, ever the s**t disturber, decides that the stool and mic for her are not enough. She wants a keyboard. This is to hide behind. I'd need a serious 88 for her, she's taken over 18 years of lessons including a Honours 4 yr degree in Piano and one in Music Ed, and then teacher's college. Geez. I can't take the upright and the Roland/Rogers and Yamaha are both 10 years old. Sigh.

Maybe I won't give in. She had duets in mind, it's devious.

Right after our tribute to Johnny Cash we are doing some Rachmoninoff she want's me to do for 4 hands. If she grows 2 more. I gave up classical except for fakebook style years ago.

I can hear it now.

"you are not doing it right"

"Where?"

"At the start."

We didn't start yet.

"That's my point"

"OK"

"Don't agree with me if you don't understand"

"OK"

"To which part"

"All of it"

"Moron"

Note: as another poster said, he didn't say it, he heard someone else say it.
This did not work for the Chief who told me one day that I called a guy an F*n A$$.

I said I never saw the guy.

The Platoon Chief says 'I told the guy that Conley takes no BS and he was going to tell him that when he got there.'

Chief, "Is that right you were going to tell him?"

ME: "Never met the man, but if he's that then maybe, but not likely..."

PC: "See, Conley was going to tell him."

Chief: "So you told this guy Conley would tell him he was that, but you didn't say it?"

PC : "No, I wouldn't say that, but he would."

Me: "So I'm on 'trial' here, on charges, because a fire happened last night, and this guy who's the most eccentric lawyer in town and famous, was careless, and I would have, had I ever really met the man, called him a profanity based thing, according to last nights duty chief."

Chief: "Exactly, I don't want loose cannons like you on the street."

Me: "OK so I just got to work, and I think my wife is phoning me."

Chief "Why"

Me: "She's going to hear what the two of you are up to, and then she's going to call me an F'n Moron for working here!"

Chief "You can't say that!" YELLING

Me: "I didn't but my wife would!"

This ended with an actual retired cop hired to investigate, and he laughed so hard tears ran down his face at the interview with the Chief and the PC and Me and the Union Rep.

Sorry, I had to tell that one it was too good to pass up. I'm on overdrive!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Journeyman
Journeyman
You ARE writing a book soon, right John ? Let me know the moment it's published !

Veteran
Veteran
Humility and how I attained it!

I was waiting for Eddie to jump in on the stings and swell so I could do the Eddie and the Beav thing with Walt standing there, and Eddie says, geez that's swell Beav.! But hey, Eddie didn't and I didn't and on that note it's 12:07 and my wife has to work int he a.m. and I usually make coffee at 6 and then tomorrow I have to. Um have to. I um don't have to, do a thing. Oh, brass band exec meeting at 7. I feel sick now. I hate meetings.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have 4 midi keyboards a JV1010 and a Ketron. I have the VSC and the Dxi and the dog and coyote show.

I have a EWI that uses midi.

And I see little or no development of midi that excites me.

I'm not having a debate about this. It is my opinion that you won't see MIDI XML or MIDI2.

No debate my friend. I do agree with you that MIDI is a mature product and that in its current form it is probably at or vary near its limit. However I do see it advancing, not with the current 5 pin plug but with USB, much like my EWI-USB MIDI wind controller, AKAI drum pads, Evolution keyboard controller and MOTU midi patch bay. The MOTU had 8 different MIDI ins and outs, all communicating with the computer via one USB port. USB holds the future for MIDI IMHO.

What are your thoughts on this?

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I just use fade in and fade out. Seems to be fastest method and it gives me the most control.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,816
Posts737,570
Members38,592
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
eljayjay, tommy kissner, Namahi, JumpinJackP, xristos69
38,592 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158