Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I had thought about the limitations of modern music, is it infinite or finite? A piano has 88 keys, does that not impose an eventual limit on the number of individual songs/melodies that can be created on the piano?

Bringing it closer to home, how many different melodies can BIAB generate? Is it conceivable that we could violate someone's copyright unintentionally?

Just fodder for thoughter.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sooner or later micro-tones (in between our 1/2 step based "western" music theory) will make its way into the mainstream. Most of us won't like it, because it is just too different -- but it will open another infinite number of finite possibilities (ha, ha).

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
This is a mathamatical question. Maths and Arithmatic are the three things I hate the most!

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think that music can be considered effectively infinite. Given constant changes in technology and timbral differences alone, any change in an existing piece theoretically renders it a new creation. (I didn't say that it wouldn't violate copyright law.)

I use Propellerhead Reason, partly as a sequencer, but partly because it is a massive software instrument. Just a casual sampling of what people have shared on their Music forum is enough to get a substantial inferiority complex. The variations and ingenuity in achieving same are impressive.

Take all the existing parameters of pitch, tempo, duration, timbre, key, orchestration, and maybe vocals, and anything I haven't mentioned or thought of. I think that original music is going to be happening for a long time yet. I'm thinking in geological terms here.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I think that music can be considered effectively infinite. Given constant changes in technology and timbral differences alone, any change in an existing piece theoretically renders it a new creation. (I didn't say that it wouldn't violate copyright law.)

Take all the existing parameters of pitch, tempo, duration, timbre, key, orchestration, and maybe vocals, and anything I haven't mentioned or thought of. I think that original music is going to be happening for a long time yet. I'm thinking in geological terms here.

+1 on what Richard said.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Don. Interesting thought.

No matter how many variables there are, there is still a finite limit to the number of permutations, no matter how big the number is.

However, if we consider a repetition in a piece of music to be a variable in it's own right and we have an infinitely long sequence of repeats ...

No, just forget that, I agree with Richard!

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Excellent observations all! Thank you, mates! (That's Brit or Ozzie)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...I think that music can be considered effectively infinite. ...>>>

I don't disagree with Ryzard's comment, but he is inventing a new meaning for the word 'infinite.' If 'infinite' is a mathematical term, then music cannot be infinite since it is constructed of a finite number of finite elements. If, by 'effectively infinite' Ryzard means 'uncountable' or 'really, really a whole freakin' lot,' I have no problem with that.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Don. Interesting thought.

No matter how many variables there are, there is still a finite limit to the number of permutations, no matter how big the number is.

However, if we consider a repetition in a piece of music to be a variable in it's own right and we have an infinitely long sequence of repeats ...

No, just forget that, I agree with Richard!

ROG.

ROG,

Re: a finite limit to the number of permutations . . . I am gald you decided to agree with Richard because I was just going to ask you to name all of them.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being a mathematician I take exception.

There are only 10 digits - but using only those ten digits there are infinite sets of numbers which are themselves infinite (The Reals, Rationales, Irrationals, Integers, sets (like the Cantor set), various algebras, etc.)

There are two "kinds" of infinite; one is countable like the set of all positive integers and by using proof by induction method I can show that the set of rational numbers are also countably infinite because I can essentially "map" each rational number (one-to-one - a.k.a injective) to an integer thus; the rationale set is also countable infinite (these items and methods can be found in most any first year Abstract Algebra, Topology, and some times Real Analysis (aka Advanced Calculus) text.

By reapplying the logic as it where: 10 digits (88 keys), and infinitely countable positive integers (notes one after the other infinitely - and yes there can be repeats just like 10, 100, 1000, 10000, .... think of the map of 1= c and 0 = b then cb, cbb, cbbb, cbbbb, ....).

Since music (and I am not arguing that it is good or bad music) is nothing more than a set of notes (disregarding, tempo and other attributes) I propose that the set of all music is countable infinite (akin to mapping integers to rationales)

However, I leave as home work for the reader to show
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 09/15/12 09:04 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
To take a more philiosiphical approach than Larry; given that music is an expression of the human spirit, I ask the question:
Is the human spirit finite?

If it is, the so is music, if it isn't, then I propose that music is infinite too.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

This is a mathamatical question. Maths and Arithmatic are the three things I hate the most!

LOL LOL LOL

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In a real sense, it doesn't matter. Is the thrill of hearing a strummed chord on a guitar diminished knowing that you're not the first one to play it? Or is the blues less interesting because it's a finite form?

Music is interesting because of the feeling it evokes, not because it provides infinite variety.

But... The number of permutations is probably enough to serve us a couple lifetimes. After that, the new generation just forgets (or ignores) what came before.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In theory there are more time signatures than there are numbers (and this is only one varable in music).. so do I still have to show my homework?

And because a piano has 88 keys does that mean that is the note limit? Why not choose flute and limit the note number even more .. (?)

Always wondered why they didn't add one more octave to a piano to make it an even 100 keys.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The human condition itself dictates something more to this than a mere mathematical computation of all possible combinations, though.

In other words, the things that people are able to hear and understand are indeed a finite situation.

Using the history of such things that were once not understood nor enjoyed by the majority population in Western Music alone, such as the Tritone, parallel fifths and octaves, the Sharp 9, etc. we see that it takes time for even one "new" music development to take hold and become part of what the majority uses to make the muse happen -- and what the majority are able to hear, understand AND accept as "viable".

And so it goes...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I appreciated all of this input. Very valid points.

Mac opened another pathway with the term "viable." It does not mean that the structure of "viable" music will necessarily follow any mathematical, predictable formula. However, perhaps the key elements of a viable melody loosely follow mathematical rules dictated by algorithms.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wait awhile . . . So let me get this straight, if I know how to play both a G and an A chord and I am working on D does this mean that when I master the D I still will not have mastered "all" music?

Later,

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Oh no!

Does this mean that there are some other chords which I don't know about?

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have been writing a lot in the key of H lately..... I goes okay until I hit the subdominant K and the dominant L.... and the M minor we wont even talk about....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The human condition itself dictates something more to this than a mere mathematical computation of all possible combinations, though.

In other words, the things that people are able to hear and understand are indeed a finite situation.

--Mac

Mac I concur with your first statement but the second statement takes some analysis

While a single human being MIGHT only be finite "...able to hear and understand are indeed a finite situation" not provable (yet), but for the sake of argument I will concede that point. However, the union of all human beings, if you allow me to add just "one more", then rinse and repeat is the very definition of countably infinite; hence, what the human RACE is able to hear and understand is again countably infinite.

However this, as many have directly and indirectly pointed out, is not a pure math/logic problem. It is more esthetic and emotional it asks for the actual ART of music and I assume that to mean a collection notes/sounds that are "pleasant," "worth listening to," "has mutually agreed value AS music," … or that would be "called music by a majority of a collection of people," and that is probably finite.

Because even though lots, and lots, and LOTS of "music" has been recorded, played, published in just my life time - a large portion of recent "music" (last 20+ years) is NOT MUSIC. It's is simply collections of notes/sounds (?) at a rapid metronomic pace (evidenced by club music, trance music, etc. -that to my dismay has invaded the air waves, internet, CD's, living spaces, … as the new "pop" music)

So maybe the finite limit of music is nigh (I hope not).

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,276
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181