Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Quote:

Getting a record deal is nearly impossible.

Scott is absolutely right. The only sort of record deal worth signing is one where the record company is offering you a non-returnable advance against royalties. Because the record companies don't like losing money, they only offer these contracts to people who they know are certain to be a big success.

Statistically, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than to get one of these deals. (A surprisingly large number of golfers get struck by lightning every year.)

ROG.

In my line of work, I get exposed to a wide spectrum of people that are all up and down the 'making it' in the music business that use our products. Some are no-names, some are at the absolute top of the charts in their genres. I can tell you that happiness as well as abject sadness exists at all points in the spectrum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
jcspro40,

I do/did appreciate your recommendation, very happy with them.

Thanx

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
WSS mentioned festivals and that reminded me of another story. There are several big festivals around here every year, the Hermosa Arts one, the Manhattan Beach one, the really big one out in Pomona and others. We were down at the beach to the Hermosa one and there were two booths set up at opposite ends selling nothing but CD's. They had nice sound systems playing the music they were selling. One was pretty good contemporary jazz and the other was soothing aroma therapy background type stuff. I talked to the guy running the jazz booth and he wasn't the musician, that guy lives in San Francisco. He hires people to run these booths so he must be selling enough to be worth that I would assume although he could be losing his butt too. I don't know any details but you have to pay for those spaces plus the cost of the booth itself, traveling expenses, etc.

This is a business with all the risks and costs of any other business. I have a full time job, no way do I have the time to do that but still I'm drawn to it like lemmings to the sea because music has always been my first love. I keep going to these different places and keep gravitating to musicians trying to make it and talking to them. I suspect that playing down at the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade can work for some people too. Some of them are very good and I can see them selling CD's down there because I've bought a few, plus tips plus the exposure to get gigs from people just walking around. That is a very expensive area to live, house party gigs usually pay decently. I researched playing at the Promenade a bit too, you have to get a license from the city to do that and they will assign you an area to play and your time slot. It's up to you to find parking and schlep your equipment and that's not easy either. Naturally the best areas and time slots are difficult to get and I think it's first come first served so people are waiting in line for that. Again this is a business and it takes some investment and work. Lots of work.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll take a look at Kunaki, but I've been selling pretty well over the past several years between my own site, Bandcamp, CD Baby, and at gigs. They each have their own advantages: My own site, I get the largest share of money; Bandcamp, I can earn free download codes (which can be either promotional or turned into download cards -- instant merch!); CD Baby distributes to iTunes so I don't have to; and gigs get me strike-while-the-iron-is-hot sales that can't be beat.

I should get more of my stuff onto YouTube -- not to sell it, but to make it known. Which, with links in the description, will sell it.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe I need to state my definition of "released". When I see that word I think of "not on a label that nobody has ever heard of, like 'Mustard Yellow Records', in the hands of every radio station on the planet so they have the opportunity to play it, and available in Walmart, K-Mart, Sears, Best Buy......" . Making CDs in the home studio to sell at gigs or on CD Baby is not what I am talking about, given my definition of "released". That was the original question, if you should release a CD yourself. If you are connected enough in the 6 Degrees of Separation game where you can do that, great. Most people can't do it without the machine behind them.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
@ Eddie, sorry mate but you are living in the distant past! I'm a gigging musician (its my job)& the main way of earning a living nowadays is by gigging & (more importantly) selling CD's at the venue, THAT is where the money is, big record lables are no longer BIG record lables in the sense of yesterday. They no longer are in a position to rip off the public as before & don't have the margins they once have so are no longer in a porition to trade as they once did. The power has been given back to the musician if, & only if, they want to take the bull by the horns. The example earlier was selling 25 cd's at a gig, now a cd can be produced for around $2 & sold for $15! imagine $13 dollars profit x 25 = $325 for 1 concert on top of the gig fee. Now if for a gigging musician you play just twice a week, thats 104 gigs a year (say 100 to round things out) that is $32,500 a year just by selling cd's. Not bad by any standards & that is without talking about online distribution.......... Think about it, gigs are where the money is nowadays!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

As far as this website for manufactured CDs assume those are CDRs right?

That's a good price for 100 but not a very good price for 1000 sense the real places will manufacture 1000 for you at a lower price.

The real places?

Yes, they are CDR's, but so are Disc Makers & Oasis short runs.....

And Kunaki are GREAT for short, quick runs, not 1000's. For a band that only needs 40 to get them thru you can not beat Kunaki prices or service. Even after S&H you could not create the product at home for the same price, at least not at today's supplies cost...

And as a side note, all printing is done direct to disk, no labels on the CD-DVD's...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Think about it, gigs are where the money is nowadays!

I will give you that, but I offer this.

Your formula looks nice if you have gigs in 104 different places over that year and you dazzle 25 people at each of those gigs and they buy a CD. Where I live is a circuit of about a dozen rooms. Of those dozen rooms, you are at least "strongly discouraged", if not flat out forbidden, to play original music. The places where original acts are welcomed don't typically seat a lot of people, and those artists typically play to the same 30 faces every gig. Who will buy those 25 CDs? How many copies of that same CD do you think that group of 30 followers are going to buy? Unless you are going to waste weeks making a CD of other people's music and paying THEM royalties for your time.....

I don't know where you are, but "mate" makes me think Australia or England. The scene may be different there. Where I live, most of the bands who work a lot are players who play in 3-4 bands at a time, playing 100% cover, never with the same people twice in a row, and never really in a "band" in the definition of "players who work together toward a common goal". The handful of people who play original music are mostly solo artists, and again, they develop a following and see the same faces every gig, and once you have "the CD".... again, how many copies are they going to buy of the same CD? Unless you have a new CD ready every gig.....

The numbers are fine in theory, but unless you have product available for sale to the masses, that theory is theory only. "Bob" in Milwaukee or Detroit or Cleveland or Pittsburgh may sell a handful of CDs at his gigs, but nobody in Oregon or New Mexico knows who "Bob" is, and until he starts selling in Oregon and New Mexico.... you get what I am saying? Unless your CD is "released" (there is that semantics thing coming into play again - how do you define "released?") 50 states minus your home area don't know who you are.

Keep in mind also that "happening" varies from town to town. The northeast Ohio area used to be AWESOME. It is 20% of what it used to be. People don't have money to go out. I have a large number of friends who still play from back in the years that I did. I rarely go see them. Why? They are playing the same music they played then. I am not about to pay $5 at the door to visit with someone who I bowled with or played golf with for years. I'd rather visit them at home for free and there is no "gotta get back on stage" involved. I won't pay a cover charge to see ANY copy band.

But on topic, if you really don't have the avenues to be national (or even international) by all means sell your CDs and get paid for your hard work writing and recording. My only point is that selling CDs you made yourself in your basement is not, in my personal definition, my opinion, "releasing" anything.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I'm an irishman living in France Eddie. I have a few differnt strings to my bow & I do solo gigs, in duo, trio & group. Also doing trad irish but also my own stuff & the selling of cd's, although only supplementary income, (I earn my living from being paid to do the gigs) adds up to a substantial addition to my earnings.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Barking Pumpkin Records"

Frank Zappa did it.

You can, too.

IF your product is worthy.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For making physical media, I have been very happy with Kunaki. Good prices and I don't have to waste time doing the work, other making the master and creating the artwork. You get shrink-wrapped CDs, with UPC (or not) and they have arrangements with Amazon and CDBaby to be the source. Six or less costs like $1 each plus shipping; otherwise, it's $1.75 per CD. You'll wasted that in color ink in no time, and their labels look fantastic.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
With the music world being 180% different than the music world I made my living in, I don't think anyone nowadays ties "Release" with "Record Company", at least from what I have seen with the 1000's of band's trying to get my money for a CD or download.

Today it is Facebook-Bandcamp-yada-yada-yada markiting & digital downloads most of the time, but a CD is still the calling card of choice for a lot of people, clubs, & radio.

And being old fashion, I say that a CD release is a must, because I KNOW that I am NOT the only one that feels paying $15 for a 10 song MP3 download & artwork that I have to print out to be a rip off! Just like manuals in PDF & ePub books, I feel cheated unless I have a physical item I can hold in my hand for the $$ I pay....if I don't (like a lot of software I buy) I feel like I have not got my moneys worth.

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

With the music world being 180% different than the music world I made my living in, I don't think anyone nowadays ties "Release" with "Record Company", at least from what I have seen with the 1000's of band's trying to get my money for a CD or download.

I've gotta give a great big +1 on that one. If you've made CD's of your own music and you're offering them for sale to the public, you've "released" a CD. There doesn't need to be a record company or publishing company involved to make it a "release".

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Explain Kunaki's model a little bit if you would - those that use it.

Cost to manufacture look like $1, but shipping is $4.20, correct? Do they keep your CD on file for future orders? That is, let's say I sell 1 CD per week from my website, do you simply order another qty of 1 per week, and provide the ship to address?

I'm a little confused as to how their system works.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Email me and I will send you some detaily goodies.
Think it would violate rules on this forum.
fb.seeker@gmail.com

Short version:
play will pricing page.
Also thoroughly study the FAQ page.

Last edited by seeker; 09/22/12 08:26 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

"Barking Pumpkin Records"

Frank Zappa did it.

So did Sting. And Todd Rundgren. And Janis Ian. And many others who got tired of record company red tape.

However, does my name fit into that sentence anywhere?

This is the same concept as all the Little Mary Sunshine people who delight in telling me "Oh, you're not too old to play. Look at the Rolling Stones."

My reply? "Yes look at them. They have been a major 'somebody' for 50 years. Veteran acts hanging in is a little different than starting over again at 61."

You guys are taking my comments all wrong. Make your CDs. Sell them to everybody at every Joe's Bar gig you play. Let me know the first time you sell a substantial amount to anybody 2000 miles away from where you live.

This discussion isn't even about making your music. It's about marketing your music.

There is a guy who was the local hero here in Cleveland. I won't mention his name because we hate each other and he would sue me. Leave it to say that everybody loves him in that blind following way where he sells out shows even though he is WAY past his prime and now just writes to write. He was huge here in the 70s and early 80s though.

I was in Dallas Texas for a month in the early 90s. With weekends off and a rental car, I hit a bunch of record stores. I found one of his albums (this was when there was more vinyl than CD) and took it to the front and asked the clerk if they have ever sold one. She looked it up. They had never sold one of this guy's albums. None of them. They were VERY good albums, full of very good songs. But nobody in Texas had ever heard of the guy and who is going to buy an album by a guy you never heard of?

Here was a guy who DID have the machine behind him. He was on a fairly major label, and he DID play Dallas. Yet he had never sold an album in Dallas.

I am not saying don't sell your CDs. The topic of the thread was "To release a CD yourself or not". If you CAN get "the machine" behind you and make you available in 50 United States and 10 provinces in Canada, as well as the rest of the world, chances are you may sell more units. Maybe even get some radio play and pick up some mechanicals. A former bandmate has a song that somehow got some play in Australia. Every now and then he gets a royalty check for a few bucks. He still doesn't know how it got on the air, but BMI is BMI and he got his mechanical royalties.

So make your own copies, come up with a cute name for your "label", put funny artwork on the labels you make on your printer to stick on them, crank them out with a bulk duplication device, whatever. IF... I had the talent, the quality product, the funds to lawyer up to protect myself, I would be trying to go the label route. It's all a moot point because I don't have any of the above, but to answer the original topic, I would take the traditional route of trying to get on a major label and have their power available to me to move units.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Quote:

It's all a moot point because I don't have any of the above, but to answer the original topic, I would take the traditional route of trying to get on a major label and have their power available to me to move units.

I think you're missing the point here. You're not gonna get on a major label. I'm not gonna get on a major label. Neither is anyone else on the forum. None of us are gonna be famous!

You talk about selling 1 million CD's, whenever most folks here would be happy to sell 100 CD's. You make it sound like someone's a failure if they can't reach that 1 million mark.

I've always been under the impression that most folks on the forum play music because they love it. Not because they had delusions of grandeur.

Take a reality check and realize that some people just want to share their music, even if it's only with a few people. Very few are looking to get their CD's into WalMart.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

To release a CD yourself or not.

I think it all depends on your expectations. If you're hoping to sell a lot of product and by that I mean about 5000 units per week, you're going to need -

a} A good product, well recorded, produced and mastered.
b) A professional video, which can cost more than a small house.
c] Radio pluggers and social media manipulation.
d] An accountant, lawyer and an admin office.

For most people, this means a contract with a major player and I think this is what Eddie is saying, but as we've already established, for most people it's not an available option.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about a few CDs to sell at gigs, do-it-yourself is your only option. Just don't expect to become rich and famous.

ROG.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Everything about Band in a Box and Realband and Powertracks, plus all the other great softwares, hardwares and etc. that we discuss on this very forum is basically geared towards INDIE production.

And INDIE production has been and still is the "revolution" that hss changed the old "you must sign with a recording company" model.

It is not enough to simply ask for "change" -- when change does indeed come along, it is necessary to embrace same.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I am planning on releasing a CD this year (actually I have dogged it for the last 9 months and it should be done and out by now!). I plan to go the Kunaki, Bandcamp and CD-Baby route (need to also look into that micro-payment setup with paypal).

Will I sell any CD's at all? Probably not (unless I buy one myself -- ha, ha), but I am going to do it anyway. As far as marketing, I will just list that I have done a CD on the 50/90, FAWM, RPM, and the songwriting sites I belong to. I don't see any use in trying to market anywhere else that I would have to pay for.

Edit: Oh yea, I will probably join BMI or ASCAP at that time and register with soundscan. Why not?

Last edited by Kemmrich; 09/23/12 05:03 AM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,410
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.