Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

And in a sense Emerson, Lake and Palmer could be considered a Mussorgsky and Gershwin cover band since they also did the Fanfare from Rodeo.....

Back in the day with the Vegas show group I did Emerson's version of Hoedown as an instrumential feature on B3. Me and the guitarist transcribed the whole thing note for note by ear. We put in a jazz break in the middle of it. That was the only time in my life I got standing O's for a performance. Not every show of course but often enough. We were the only band in Musart's stable that did strong instrumental's as part of our show. All the other groups were excellent but they were typical Vegas vocal groups. We had some resistance to that but we proved through management reports that strong instrumentals will go over if the showmanship is there. We didn't have to do Feelings and Brother Love all night but we still did those. The bandleader did MacArthur Park as a serious almost over the top classical style thing on a grand piano for show set 1, Hoedown was set 2 and our guitarist did Classical Gas as a feature in set 3 sitting on a stool in front of everybody with a small spot on him. He was scared to the death the first time he did that, me and the leader were behind our big pieces of stage furniture but he was out there like a bug on a plate. All three of us got our share of standing O's.

Yeah, you can make a living in music under certain conditions. I know for a fact in the past and maybe even now all I have to do is call some agents and I would get on with somebody and hit the road. Again. I can see it now, Grandpa Bob is back!!

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK Bob . . . I think this is my second "Well Said" to you on this thread.

Well Said (again)!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Yeah, you can make a living in music under certain conditions. I know for a fact in the past and maybe even now all I have to do is call some agents and I would get on with somebody and hit the road. Again. I can see it now, Grandpa Bob is back!!

As long as they have soup and soft foods on the dressing room buffet...

Let's all not lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of ways to make money in music outside of schlepping gear from bar to bar. You can schlep it to a studio and do commercial spots, create your own Wrecking Crew, write spots for ads, soundtrack for The Weather Channel.... a friend here did a spot for an annual winter event that is running for like the 18th year now. I dod one long ago that was soundtrack behind a video for some environmental waste company and they needed me for synth sound effects. I worked maybe 45 minutes (over 6 hours) and got a check that just broke 4 figures. If I could do one of those a week and sneak it under the tax radar....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

This whole idea that doing someone else's songs makes you a "cover band" and is a negative term is something invented by people who haven't got anything better to do but try to elevate themselves by cutting other people down. But the joke is on them, IMHO it doesn't elevate them one bit, instead it puts a dark cloud over their name.

+2 to Bob and Peter.

Eddie,

Now it's copy songs!?

C'mon Eddie. Me thinks thou protest too much. Are people lining up to pay you to play YOUR songs?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sorry to interrupt, but for some reason I am seeing "me thinks" everywhere these days. It is actually "methinks". The only reason I know that is that a moronic sports writer used it frequently in a really dumb recent column and someone pointed that discrepancy out (I had to look it up to confirm). It is OK for you and I, Bob, to not know that -- but a journalist should not get that wrong.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Are people lining up to pay you to play YOUR songs?

They didn't line up to see me play covers either, so why would they?

Everybody reads SO much into my words.

I never said it doesn't take talent to play cover music.

I never said you can't do very well playing cover music.

I never said "the big ones" don't play other writer's music.

Yes, Sinatra sang songs written by the best composers. Yes you can make a decent living playing cover music. Yes, it takes a lot of work and talent to be good at it.

Do you not see the difference between standing in front of an 19 piece band in a tux singing A Foggy Day In London Town in a nice theater with tiered seating that has professional lighting with follow spot, and playing Freebird in a bar full of bikers?

If you don't see the difference, then I shouldn't be discussing this with you.

Yes, I prefer original bands to copy bands. I prefer to see musician who stretch themselves beyond listening to CDs all day and copying what they heard. I believe it takes a higher skill level to write GOOD songs. (And if I ever write one, I hope someone buys it and records it.) That being said, it would be the biggest rush ever to do that big band show in the tux and sing a night of Cole Porter and George Gershwin and Harold Arlen and Irving Berlin and Lerner and Lowe music. Would it work in The Saddlebag Bar where the bikers hang out? Of course not. So don't book The Saddlebag Bar! And that's where you get into love vs money. I also need to point out that I don't sing anywhere near close to well enough to pull that show off, but damn, I'd sure be willing to do it anyway. Even though I would not have written ONE of those songs..... there is a difference between classic songs written by revered composers and Billy Don't Be A Hero. Yes, they are both copying someone else's music, but to use examples like Mozart as "cover music" is just a ridiculous argument. I don't know a lot of bands playing Marriage of Figaro in a bar.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie you wrote: "I want to write MY book."

Well, then you have to write it. Same with music. If you don't want to play "Freebird" and whatever other songs are on your list that you can't stand then don't. Write some songs that people want to hear.

I see a paradox in your earlier posts in this thread and some other recent threads and these most recent posts. You talked about your Motown band. Originals or covers? Covers = you are editing and presenting someone else's book; you've changed the characters slightly, the ending has a twist, etc. - but it's still someone else's book that you are reading with a different voice than what they originally wrote in.

What I read you saying now is that you want to do original music. If not, then I can completely understand when the audience or even other band members want to hear the song in it's most popular rendition. Unless it's the artist recognized as either the author of the song, or the artist that made it popular.

If I was a smooth vocalist and I decided to sing 'Moon River', the audience is gonna want to hear me at least ape part of Andy Williams (RIP), even if he wasn't the first to sing it.

Here's Andy Williams singing it in the early 60's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4pmJQ6zgM

And then in 1970: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0UUP7g-0M

Dang - if that's not nearly the same I don't know what is. Even he would have caused a ruckus if he got all jazzy with HIS version of the song, to 'make it his own' as is spoken of by covers of songs these days. And it wasn't his song, but his version is what is best loved. 8 years passed between those videos and you hear Andy copying his own inflections, slides, grace notes and what not 8 years passing. How many times do you think he performed that song in those 8 years? I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10,000 times. Don't you think he wanted to bust out of that mold a little more during that time? He couldn't. His high paying, making a living JOB was to sing that song the way the buying public wanted it to be sung. His job was to be his own tribute singer to try to nail his popular version for as long as he could do it to whatever paying listener was in the audience.

So, I am confused as to your protests about having to follow a popular rendition of popular songs, as a performing artist. I understand about the nit-picky comments of whether it's a single cymbal crash vs. splash and so forth.

When I listen to Comfortably Numb, I want to hear David Gilmour's solos - not some 'artistic' rendition. I want to hear those huge string bends and the smooth cool-ness of the perfectly placed long triplet runs over 4/4 time rhythm. If it's David Gilmour playing it or someone else, it doesn't matter - the note choices were ace in the original recording and will forever be ace. One of the few guitar solos that to me cannot be messed with because I will miss the goosebumps that I get EVERY time I hear Gilmour's original recorded version and people that can ape it well with similar tone.

There are some exceptions, I think I prefer Seal's version of "Fly Like An Eagle" over Steve Miller bands original. But I like both versions. However, that's not a solo-centric song like Comfortably Numb, or like a solo performer iconic performance like Andy Williams' Moon River (which is originally Mancini/Mercer, correct?)

Maybe that's where your protest breaks down. What caused a song to be iconic? If it's a particular solo, then you have to nail the solo. It's the voice of the song. If it's a solo artist, and not a full-on band performance, then I would say that there's probably much less room for improvisation and creative room than with a band-centric performance where even the famous band took their own liberties with the songs.

It's one of the reasons I usually avoid 'Live' CDs, let alone going to hear a local band play cover tunes. The 'Live' CD is often a disappointment to me, not due to any ineptitude by the band/artist, but often they go off on a different tangent than where the original recording takes me emotionally.

Does that make sense?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

I don’t make a living playing music and neither do you, but there are a few people on this forum who do.

Whether you realize it or not, your incessant rants against performers who are playing what people want to hear is insulting those musicians big time. The topic is “Could You Live From Making Music?”

Some folks have answered very affirmatively by going out and doing it. There’s not a good reason in the world for you to put them down for doing so.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I was composing my response immediately above while Eddie answered.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No, Bob, I am not putting anybody down. The question is whether you can make a living in music. You can, and many do. My point is that there are different paths to follow. I played in nothing BUT copy bands. I never had the skills to go beyond regional. I, me, myself, personally..... I prefer to see, when spending my entertainment dollars, a local band playing original music over one that plays covers. You guys who are telling me about how the entertainment giants do other people's music are mixing apples and nectarines. Major, viable performers tour to sell albums. Taylor Swift is maybe the hottest act right now, and she will tour again soon to promote her next album (whenever that is). When she does that tour, she will perform her hits from her older albums so her fan base gets to sing along. But do you think she won't do 6-7 cuts from the album the tour supports? And to say that her doing her older material makes her a "cover" act... c'mon guys.

The point is, it's a different game at that level.

As to Scott's example, it comes down to this. Do you want to be Andy Williams singing Moon River or Henry Mancini writing it? I would rather write a song once and make money every time Andy sings is than Andy having to sing it 250 nights in 250 cities every year. It hasn't happened for me, and won't if it hasn't by now.

I am pretty much going to duck out of this debate. You guys are taking simple, general comments and using ridiculous examples to try and make your point. Whether Sinatra sang songs written by other people or not is not the issue. It's about "The Booze Hounds" playing Joe's Bar. That is reality. If The Booze Hounds are happy and make a living playing 3 hours of Beatles and Stones covers, god bless them. That kind of thing isn't for me. It would not make me happy, so I don't do it. That doesn't mean I am right and they are wrong. How is saying that playing covers for a living wouldn't be enjoyable for me putting YOU down if it is?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

It isn't just about bands playing cover music. It's the ones who say ridiculous things like "That's not how the solo goes". Not how the solo goes?......

Yet how many bands actually waste rehearsal time over silly crap like that?

Answer: every copy band everywhere.

And this is a GOOD thing IMHO!!!! If you are making a living at this you need to do it right, be it originals OR copy...the public is not a bunch of fools, most of the time they know the tune better than some musicians!

Quote:

Whether Sinatra sang songs written by other people or not is not the issue. It's about "The Booze Hounds" playing Joe's Bar. That is reality. If The Booze Hounds are happy and make a living playing 3 hours of Beatles and Stones covers, god bless them.

If I am taking this out of context, please forgive me, but your generalization that the topic I started was about a bunch of "Booze Hounds", or poor players, or weekend warriors, then YOU miss the point. And I say this because of the "That is reality." comment.

Personal attacks & name calling, even if it is not aimed at anyone, can be just as insulting as if it WAS aimed at someone. I have no animosity towards you Eddie, but it seems like you need to drive home your bitterness allot, and get very verbose if no one agrees with ya.

I hope you don't drop out of the thread just because of this.....

Quote:

You guys are taking simple, general comments and using ridiculous examples to try and make your point.

Please point out a few of these, becasue I have not seen this....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Since the topic has obviously changed from “Could You Live From Making Music?” to cover songs, I’ll weigh in on that.

I enjoy hearing someone take a classic song and then make it their own by playing their own rendition of it. I don’t want to hear them perfectly mimic the original artist’s version. I want them to put a new twist on it. If it’s a good song, it’s ripe for new interpretations.

The perfect example would be “Cold, Cold Heart” by Hank Williams. …From Wiki:

Quote:

"Cold, Cold Heart" has since been recorded by many other artists, including Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, Donald Peers, Petula Clark, Johnny Cash, Nat King Cole, Aretha Franklin, Bill Haley & His Comets, Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Washington, Norah Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ronnie Hawkins, Raul Malo, George Jones, David Allan Coe, Guy Mitchell, Teresa Brewer, Jerry Lee Lewis, Cowboy Junkies, Frankie Laine, and Jo Stafford.

That’s a pretty impressive list of people who recorded a “cover”. I haven’t heard them all, but I feel safe in saying that NONE of them tried to mimic Hank Williams version.

I’ve always liked the song, but I grew to love it after hearing Norah Jones do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO...ture=plpp_video

I suspect that Hank would be proud. So play your “covers” and don’t be afraid to put your own spin on it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

It isn't just about bands playing cover music. It's the ones who say ridiculous things like "That's not how the solo goes". Not how the solo goes? Isn't the solo section where a musician can express himself?

That's a touchy subject. I wonder how many headliners who had the studio musicians like "The Wrecking Crew" record their backing tracks, and then had to learn the solo like the studio guy played it. And how many others improvised something in the studio, and had to memorize that for playing live. I know if I went to see the Eagles do "Hotel California" I'd want to hear the solo on the record, and if they liked, they could extend it with improvisations that I never heard before. On other songs, I'd like a totally improvised solo. But as a musician listener, I'd be happy with whatever they played.

Being in a variety band, I have more options. When we do "Black Magic Woman" I try to play Carlos Santana's solo as close as possible. Why? I think it's beautiful. There are a few songs I do that on. But most songs I prefer to improvise my solo and not pay tribute to the recording. It's my choice.

Quote:

There is one popular trib band here who passed on a great drummer who, at his audition, "hit the wrong cymbal". Huh? You have to cover so close that you care what cymbal the guy hit? That is like firing a sax player because the guy in the band they are copying plays Rico reeds and your sax player plays La Voz.

Sounds like a band I wouldn't join. But then, to be in a tribute band for me would be boring. As much as I like any particular band, I would also want to play other music.

Quote:

Now, if you are playing Yakkety Sax, of course there is a melody to that instrumental and you need to follow it, but to force a player to completely ape a solo.... that's where the difference is between someone who can repeat and someone who can create. That is the reason I have never and will never see a "tribute band". That is just another word for "copy band". A copy band that only copies one act maybe, but still a copy band.

I'm with you on that, with the exception of Symphony Orchestras. I'd go to an all Prokofiev or an all Dvorak concert.

I've never had a desire to see a tribute band or a tribute artist. But if someone else wants to be an Elvis impersonator or a Rod Stewart impersonator or if a band wants to be a Steely Dan impersonator or a Led Zep impersonator, it's OK with me. Others enjoy doing it and it pulls a crowd (or else they wouldn't keep dong it). I have no disrespect for them, but my own personal desire is to not attend. But then I don't watch sports, or for that matter, any TV at all. I'd rather watch a month of cover bands than a day of televised football or faux news.

Quote:

IF you have to cover, make the songs your own. I can't stand the jukebox mentality.

I play some like the record, some similar to the record and some totally re-arranged. It depends on the song and my prediction of what the audience wants (unfortunately I'm not clairvoyant so I don't have a 100% track record).

When I was young, back before DJs and Discos, we tried to cover every song 'like the record' with the exception of most solo improvisations. I never minded that. And today, I try to cover some songs like the record and I still don't mind. Others I play my way. Either way I enjoy it.

When I was in concert band, we played the notes on the page. The conductor coaxed his expression out of us within the limits of the notes on the page. I enjoyed that but wouldn't want to be in a symphony. On the other hand, I've talked to musicians in symphony orchestras after the concert and they tell me how much fun they had.

There is more than one right way to do this, and what works for one, won't work for another. And personally, I don't care what other musicians think of my act, and whether they want to stay or walk out. I do have musician friends who come to listen, and I'm sure others don't. I'm secure enough in my playing to not care what other musicians think of me. There are better musicians out there and worse ones too. It's a fact of life.

I do care what the audience thinks of me. They are my partners. So far the mix I'm doing is working.

For those who do original material only, more power to you. I'll gladly take the gigs you reject, and I hope some day you will be so famous that I'll get to cover one of your songs. Like Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, The Cleveland Orchestra, The Czech Philharmonic, and all the artists/bands that did King/Goffin, Leiber/Stoller, Mann/Weill, Gershwin/Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, etc. songs, I don't feel I have to write the songs I sing/play. IMHO some songwriters shouldn't sing (like Bob Dylan or Taylor Swift) -- they may be great songwriters but Dylan can't sing and Swift needs auto-tune. Writing skills and performing skills are not always gifted to the same person. So let the writers write, the singers sing, and for those who can do both well, enjoy your gifts and go for it. IMHO there is nothing wrong with doing other people's material, whether it is by Muddy Waters, George Harrison, or Dmitri Shostakovitch.

Since I got out of school, I've had only two day jobs in my life while testing out the 'real world'. That proved to me that being a musician is not what I do, but what I am. Other than those two short-term day gigs, I've never worked a day in my life, I've played -- and that's a good thing for me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This discussion got way off course, veering into "doing A cover tune" vs "doing 3 hours of copy tunes".

Once again, FOR MY TASTES, I would prefer 50 minutes of mediocre originals to 3 hours of perfectly executed covers because the writing is what stretches the player into another level. I know of great players everywhere that have yet to have even one original thought, be it writing a poem, a limerick, telling a story with lyrics.... FOR ME, that is the side of this I am most interested in and impressed with.

I have a friend here who has the best voice I have heard since Emmylou Harris. She plays in 2 bands. When I go see her, when they do the old country classics, the old folkie classics... yes it is entertaining to hear sing. But my ears perk up when they do songs she wrote. Those are emotional things coming out of her. The first day of music classes in college, the prof will ask "What is music?" and the correct answer is "Music is expressed emotion". I am sure when Hank Williams wrote "Cold Cold Heart", it meant something personal to him. It doesn't to me. My song "Do It All Again" means something to me. It wouldn't to Hank. (Particulary since he has been dea for a long time.) A GOOD original takes your emotions and reaches out and grabs someone elses emotions. That girl I mentioned writes that way. When she sings about some event in her life, it makes you feel like it happened to you, and in a sense, in our own way, it has. We have likely experienced something similar and there's a connection.

And again, for me, my opinion, what I prefer, what I would pay to see.... is THAT kind of performer. For the same reason you may like slasher movies and I hate them.... I don't go to bars at all and never see cover bands. I DO go to concerts, like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Bonnie Raitt, etc.... and yes they played older songs, but they were older songs they wrote. Of course you play songs teh crowd knows, but they also played a sample from the new album they were on tour with, and sales in both cases were quite good. (I am cheap so I didn't buy one, but I'm just sayin'...)

On topic, those 2 artists make a living touring and selling CDs. Others make a living hosting jam night. Whatever fills your sails.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...>Do you not see the difference between standing in front of an 19 piece band in a tux singing A Foggy Day In London Town in a nice theater with tiered seating that has professional lighting with follow spot, and playing Freebird in a bar full of bikers?

If you don't see the difference, then I shouldn't be discussing this with you.<...>

I've played in dives, I've played in singles bars, I've played in Yacht Clubs, I've played in 5 star hotels, I've played on cruise ships, I've played in show clubs, I've played in huge venues like Cobo Hall warming up for headliners, I've even played in China. In some respects there are no difference between the gigs. The band is on stage, the audience is out there, and the band tries to capture the audience. I played a Biker Bar and had just as good of a time as I do in the Yacht Club.

We don't do Free Bird but we do Sweet Home Alabama and I enjoy that as much as I enjoy anything else I play.

I've had as much fun playing in a little intimate bar as I did warming up for headliners. It's like the difference between eating steak and pizza. Both are fun.

So while there is a difference in audiences, and a difference in the way you present yourself and the tunes you select, in the end it's all the same, musician(s) and an audience coming together to have some fun. I'm sure those rappers are having as much fun a I am, even though I have no desire to be a rapper.

And whether you are doing Bieber or Mozart covers, yes, you are doing covers, and if you are doing them well, you should feel good about yourself. You don't have to be in a bar to play cover music, you can do it in a concert hall too.

Back on topic. Can you make a living playing music? Yes but like Beethoven and Shostakovitch, there will be compromises you have to make. But you can say the same thing about any profession or even any job. Can you make a living hanging wallpaper? I knew a guy who did, and while he loved most of it, he hated papering bathrooms. Can you make a living being a Gigolo? Yes but some of your dates would be the kind you would rather not take to dinner. Can you make a living being an engineer? Yes but the company you work for is going to want you to engineer a few things that are both beneath your talents and boring.

The key is, you can make a living doing anything that there is a demand for. But to do so, 99% of us will have to make some compromises along the way.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I enjoy hearing someone take a classic song and then make it their own by playing their own rendition of it. I don’t want to hear them perfectly mimic the original artist’s version.

I've got to go with Bob on this one.

I once had to mark a piece at university which was a test of recording skill. The student could have recorded anything, but chose to do a Hendrix number, probably to show off his musical skill as well. He painstakingly tabbed up every single note and every drum beat. He spent hours recreating the exact guitar sounds and got a really good singer to do a brilliant Hendrix impersonation.

When we listened to it, we fell on the floor laughing. It sounded exactly like the original track, but with the life-blood drained out of it. It was bizarre, like Hendrix had recorded it after he died. Now if it had been a different interpretation of the song, it would have been judged on it's own merits, rather than as a xerox copy.

If I want to hear the original version of anything, I'll put on the Jukebox.

ROG.

Last edited by ROG; 10/04/12 06:39 AM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

As to Scott's example, it comes down to this. Do you want to be Andy Williams singing Moon River or Henry Mancini writing it? I would rather write a song once and make money every time Andy sings is than Andy having to sing it 250 nights in 250 cities every year. It hasn't happened for me, and won't if it hasn't by now.

I prefer to write/record/perform my own music. I've recorded exactly two cover tunes that were not public domain in the entire time that I've been doing home recording. When I play at church - my only regular 'gig' - I'm doing essentially covers with the intention to gather the congregation into a unified act of praise and/or worship. Playing it how they are used to hearing it has it's purpose there that is different than in other venues, but playing it familiar is still important.

In several threads you've been raising the issue that you can't make a living as a performing musician because you have to play 'that list' of songs to do so - at least that was the gist that I read in your threads. Here in these last few pages, it seems to have turned the tide to wanting to do originals.

When I post on music forums, it's my own stuff 99.9% of the time. The one time I did a semi-popular cover was for Beck's "The Golden Age" for a song contest over at the KVRaudio forums. I tried to copy the vibe as best possible. I picked that song because of it's production elements that I didn't know how to do before I started. Those contests were limited to 2 minute entries at the time. My 2 minute version: http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/new...ute%20cover.mp3

Beck's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

I shortened the intro to just a single time through the progression so that I could get at least the intro a verse and a chorus in under 2 minutes. I still have tweaks that I would do to get it to sound more like his version. But I learned how to do BGVs, double tracking of acoustic guitars, etc. by trying to copy. I happened to win the contest that month out of about 50 entries. I got some cool music software as the prize. People first accused me of just submitting Beck's version until someone posted a snippet of the actual song and heard that I was swinging the acoustic rhythm and vocal quality was different, etc.

But most of the time, I write and compose and arrange my own stuff. I will do the occasional Christmas tune as my online Christmas card to family friends and whomever else will listen.

Eddie, if you lived out here in the Springs I would take you to the songwriters circle that I belong to out here. You would totally dig it.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting discussion and comments. The usual "cover/original" debate, "that list", "bar bands", etc. always surfaces in these discussions. As for that, Notes said it best when he stated that nobody wants to hear original music. He's dead right. People want to sing along and dance to familiar songs. "That list" is "that list" for a reason. To imply that playing "that list" is some form of musical prostitution is disingenuous.
Can you make a "living" playing music? Sure. Notes is doing it. Are you going to get rich playing music? Nope. Anyone who has tried knows that it's long hours for short money. Club owners will stiff you. Agents will stiff you. People will steal your stuff. You'll be loading out and driving home at 3:30 AM dodging the drunks on the highway. Having fun yet?
Yes. Entertaining people, taking away their cares and making them relive their best memories is more fulfilling than most anything I can think of. It's a privilege to entertain people, even if you have to play "that list" to do it.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Good post 90 dB. Did you know that 90 dB is the OSHA mandated limit for occupational noise exposure for an 8 hour workday?

NIOSH says it should be 85 dB.

Sorry, I let my daily work nerd talk creep into the discussion.......

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't think it is the content at all.

It is all about the PERFORMANCE of said content, be it cover or original.

Bad Performance is bad performance, no matter if it is a cover song or an original.

Perhaps there is good reason for all the stereotyping going on concerning such in this thread, but at the end of the day it is still nothing more than stereotyping.

There are good cover bands, there are bad cover bands.

There are good original acts, there are bad original acts.

As with anything else, perhaps the bad outnumber the good.

Or perhaps it says more about where some people go to hear the acts than anything else.

Defense of the mediocre never made any sense to me.

As for whether it is better or not to play your own improvised solo or attempt to nail the wellknown solo from a target recording in a cover song, my view on that is that there are certain songs that contain solos that are actually musical hooks and in those cases the journeyman musician must both be able to determine if that is the case plus be able to learn and play that certain solo convincingly enough to pull it off and that seems to work better in those instances, judging from audience approval.

Cover or original, I'll go with Duke Ellington's famous remark, "IF IT SOUNDS GOOD, IT IS GOOD!"

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,767
Posts737,139
Members38,575
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
randy gollard, palasound, kon, alnicorconsulting, BrianArmstrongAUS
38,575 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179