Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#216887 10/02/13 01:55 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am about to purchase a copy of BIAB and a laptop for someone who has some health issues, I won't say further here, except he lives on the breadline. I have managed to get £600 UK (todays rates 973 dollars US).

It's not enough for the best package.

Do people have any recommendations for laptop/ which BIAB package?

I can't go second hand as receipts are required. This guy plays piano. He has a decent keyboard and I can probably give a USB sound card if the sound is not up to scratch. He is not on the internet at home, but we have access elsewhere for him.

Mac? anyone?

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Zero,

900.00 plus bucks should be well enough to do a decent laptop and BIAB package. Just make sure you get the most RAM and largest harddrive you can for your bucks. I am thinking I paid around 450.00 (US) for the Lenovo I am currently using.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
469 dollars for the ultra pak
Mega pack does not seem to have the real tracks which are key to a good package.

what about processor i3, i5? are there any others?

Is 4 gig enough for a laptop - 64 bit?

thanks Danny for the input. I was thinking of a Lenovo anyone care to suggest a model?

No to netbooks I presume?

this guy is currently on a 486 running win 95

Last edited by ZeroZero; 10/02/13 02:31 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Acer Laptop as second PC has worked fine for me.
Only used PowerTracks on it tho.

I've had one for about 4 years and works fine....
Prices are also right... Decent quality reasonable specs.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng....l4=&veh=sem

For ideas.

Last edited by seeker; 10/02/13 03:09 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
i3 or i5 can run BB just fine.

So can any of the AMD offerings that have two or more cores to them, quadcore being likely the one to look at, and that can be an additional savings in purchase price so I'd likely look at AMD powered laptops as well for the purpose.

But the bottom line would be dictated by the best deal I could find at the time and in the location, either way.

I'd also stick with the wellknown brands that have track record.

If there are any with Win7 on them, there should be even more savings to be had and Win7 is now mature anyway, I wouldn't hesitate.

There are also refurbs and offlease bargains to be found, again, a good deal can be had that way as well.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Like Seeker, I've had good success with Acer laptops in the last few years. I've also seen many other brands do just as well.
I've bought three Acers in the last five years or so and they are all still going strong.
The oldest one still runs BiaB/RB just fine and all of them were about $459.
It's a dual core AMD (2.3 gHz) with 4 Gig RAM and 350 gig HD.

If it was me at this budget I'd look for an AMD processor dual core above 2 GHz speed (minimum), 4 Gig RAM (minimum), Win7, decent HD size, and then after purchase I'd clean it up.

To clean it up - take it home and spend an hour removing all the stuff you don't need that comes pre-installed.
Ditch the antivirus free 6 month trial (it ends up needing replacing anyway).
Ditch the 'toolbars' that waste resources
Ditch the Free Anything that you truly do not need.

Set it up/clean it up right after purchase and most current machines will work fine.
That's my experience anyway.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There's a neat and good working program out there for free that can streamline the process of "cleaning it up" that rharv refers to.

It is called, "Decrapifier".

Any good web search engine should be able to bring up the Decrapifier home download page.

This thing can remove all the manufacturer-installed bloatwares, ads, etc. in one mouse click.

That junk ties up CPU cycles when we are trying to use BiaB or other music creation/music practicing softwares.

Another thing I would do as a matter of routine for this fellow would be to remove any and all Antivirus that comes already installed on the new laptop, as these are not only typically bloatware, they also are typically "trial versions" that will stop working in a short time and then demand that the new owner spend money to upgrade to a registered version. These would be McAffee, Norton or the likes.

After thorough removal via Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, reboot, then head to one of the fine Antivirus program sites that offer free antivirus protection for home users, download and install that for the guy instead. AVAST! is one good one that I use for this. There are others. All he'll have to do after that is renew the free subscription once per year when the program prompts, and it is easy to do, just click on the prompt to renew. No $$$ needed. And Avast is very lean and mean compared to the commercial bloatwares, which often can cause problems when streaming music anyway.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thanks for all the replies. Yes I will get rid of the bloat. Virus wise, not much of an issue really, I don't anticipate him affording the internet. It's really strictly for BIAB and word.
Its really about the best laptop deal.

Mac: I will take a look at those processors. Yes win 7 if poss, I have win 8 and have gone back to win 7 myself.

So BIAB RT's run fine on 4 gig on a 64 bit win system, this is what I read into these posts.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You mentioned Word. Word is part of Office and that costs around $300. Office Lite or whatever it is is one of those free trial things on a new PC but then it expires and they want you to buy Office.

I use OpenOffice.org it's free and seems to handle most MS Office programs including Word. Toobars and menus are not identical but close enough, I managed to figure it out and I'm certainly not an expert with Office.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Any decent laptop should run BB & RB just fine.

I have an old Dell running Vista with 2 gigs of memory and a duo core processor and it only takes a few seconds longer to load a project or render the tracks than my new i5 Intel DAW.... aside from that, it works fine. The factory sound card does a good job and a nice set of headphones completes the package.

My headphones are a $30 set of Yamaha something or other cheap cans. I also use $15 ear buds. Sounds much better than the lappy speakers.

Spend the money needed to get as far up the PG music food chain as you can afford to go.

If money is really tight, check out the pawn shops in your local area. I watch the TV "reality" pawn shop shows and they rarely pay more than $50 for a used laptop that is in good working condition. So I think, you could probably get a nice used lappy for under $200 ready to roll.

Yeah, definitely take the time to go through any laptop and remove the unneeded software and bloatware. Remove the subscription AV stuff and get something free. I use Microsoft Security Essentials on ALL my computers and I have never had a single problem with viruses or malware.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,347
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182