Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
We'll have to disagree concerning the postmodern assessment of how to differentiate the Truth, my friend.

Said the Engineer whose designs absolutely MUST work and not cause harm to others.

I have to deal only with Absolute Truths, you see.

The problem with the Relative Truth stance is that it is always stated as being Absolute.

And that is self-defeated before the conversation begins.

--Mac

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

Another good one! I'm just going back to ponder over your philosophies now.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Mac #217704 10/11/13 10:08 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Mac,

I don't think we disagree so much. As a recovering mathematician and workaholic, I know a bit about the truth in its various forms. One reason I went into the field was because the truths of mathematics are necessary truths. They are absolute, not contingent, hold in all possible worlds, and are the reason that engineers can rely on their calculations holding true - as long as they don't miss anything important. Think of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge - they used to call it Gallopin' Gertie - back in the day when engineers had limited understanding of the minimum "stiffness" required of such a structure. At the right wind speeds, the suspended roadway would resonate - explosively so on the day they recorded the bridge collapsing on film. I'm sure you've seen the movie.

EVERYONE - IF YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THE TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE COLLAPSE YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

It's not that 1 + 1 = 5 is just wrong, it is unthinkable. It follows necessarily from axioms, undefined foundational statements, that allow the construction of the natural numbers 1,2,3, ...

I disavow relative truth, postmodernism, new age music, energy bracelets, the philosophy of Sun Ra, etc., etc. I just stated the standard elementary definition of knowledge as true, justified belief. No definitions of "belief", "justification," or "true" were given - in this case they are undefined axioms.

Of course, we could use a lot of space pursuing this, but I've got something much better for you. I'll post it in the Off Topic Forum and I'll put your name in the title.

You gonna luv it, mon.

Dean

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
Noel96 #217814 10/12/13 08:07 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel,

Take a look at my latest post in the Off Topic Forum. You might enjoy this.

Dean

PS And thanks for your encouraging remarks

User Showcase
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Here is a more up to date example than the Tacoma Narrows Bridge incident:

Quote:

Postmodernism tells us there’s no such thing as truth; no such thing as meaning; no such thing as certainty. I remember lecturing at Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in this country. I was minutes away from beginning my lecture, and my host was driving me past a new building called the Wexner Center for the Performing Arts. He said, “This is America’s first postmodern building.” I was startled for a moment and I said, “What is a postmodern building?” He said, “Well, the architect said that he designed this building with no design in mind. When the architect was asked, ‘Why?’ he said, ‘If life itself is capricious, why should our buildings have any design and any meaning?’ So he has pillars that have no purpose. He has stairways that go nowhere. He has a senseless building built and somebody has paid for it.” I said, “So his argument was that if life has no purpose and design, why should the building have any design?” He said, “That is correct.” I said, “Did he do the same with the foundation?” All of a sudden there was silence. You see, you and I can fool with the infrastructure as much as we would like, but we dare not fool with the foundation because it will call our bluff in a hurry.

emphasis added

Ravi Zacharias said that.

--Mac

Mac #217842 10/12/13 11:00 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm wit' you on that, bud.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi aleck great guitar work love the tone and licks very well done thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean,

If imitation is the sincerest form of compliment, then I just wish you lived nearby so I could take lessons from you and eventually and feebly imitate what you do.

Kinda sad that I can't even imitate you straight up, I have to have to imagine a remote scenario in which I might eventually acquire the ability to imitate what you do.

;-)
but the point is that you are worth imitating, whether anyone else is capable of it or not.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Pat,

Hey,where you bin bud? If you've been hanging out at the Off Topic forum, I thought I might see something from you regarding my two posts involving you, Mac and RHarv.

Is it possible that silence = circumspection?

Hey, pal, let me tell you something about imitation, something I found out the hard way. When I first heard Wes Montgomery, I was completely blown away. It was as though Wes had part of my brain and I had part of Wes's brain. I was already playing with my thumb (learned from Gene Autry and Roy Rogers) and said to myself, "Now, I wanna sound like THAT!"

So I did what all aspiring jazz musicians have done through the ages. I sat with the vinyl records (on the Riverside label) and laboriously copied every one of Wes's licks and wore the vinyl through to the other side.

A few years later, after I could really move that thumb and play octaves and chord solos, I was at Manny's Music on 47th street in New York, where I grew up. I was looking to buy a guitar and was comping the blues, when I heard this wicked alto sax soloing on my chords. I recognized who it was by the sound, so I thought I'd really impress with some machine-gun octaves and chords.

So, out walks Cannonball Adderley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Adderley - the guy who launched Wes's career - offering me a cigarette. He says, "You can play kid, but you'll go nowhere as a Wes Montgomery sound-alike. If people want to hear Wes, why settle for you?" Then, Cannonball Adderley says something I've heard a million times: "You have to find your own voice."

Yeah, so what if you spend 20 years practicing and you do find your own voice and discover that you don't like it, and would much prefer a different voice? That happened to me.

In going back to the drawing board, I found that the goal for me was "lick-less" improvising, or nearly so. I would form a mental map of the guitar fingerboard so that a melodic idea in my head would be instantly "visible" on the fretboard. I've partially succeeded at this and it is a never ending process.

I'll finish by thanking you for the extravagant praise and, for what it's worth, repeating this hackneyed phrase: "You have your own voice to find, pal. Imitation has no payoff."

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
"You can play kid, but you'll go nowhere as a Wes Montgomery sound-alike. If people want to hear Wes, why settle for you?" Then, Cannonball Adderley says something I've heard a million times: "You have to find your own voice."

Although I see truth in that statement, The application of it depends on the participants desire to "go somewhere"

I do agree that in order to be an ARTIST who does original material and hopes to stand out in the crowd, an original sound is useful if not downright necessary.

But, people who play cover songs have to be chameleons.

I've been in clubs where aspiring artists play their original songs, with their signature sound... and nobody cares. Next week somebody's playing Proud Mary and people are up dancing. My only explanation for this is that to the average person, music is the closest thing to a time machine they'll ever find.

When I listen to songs from the 70's I feel like I'm 18 years old again... and even the best current original song lacks the power to duplicate that effect. And at age 60, I'm quite sure I ain't "going anywhere" except maybe to hell in a handbasket

;-)

the praise is sincere, BTW

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean,

No desire to comment on the philosophy or the mathematics, but the song is delightful. Just a wonderful listen. Similar in feel to the early ballads of Tom Waits.

Delightful.

floyd

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,539
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040
38,531 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173