Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I did not intend to post this song tonight. I actually came to make some comments on some others.
I was just finishing a new recording and mix of this song when a discussion in the Off-Topic section started up about this very subject.
So I could not let the coincidence slip by...

REVEREND BOB'S BEER AND BARBECUE BIG TENT BIBLE REVIVAL

the reverend robert randall couldn't get a handle
on how to draw a crowd
he passed out pamphlets, he pitched his tent
he preached his sermons loud
to draw bees you need honey
so the preacher prophesied
his marketing strategy would have to change
to effectively proselytize

jesus fetched his followers for a friendly fish fry
and he supplied the wine
bob figured ribs and a couple hundred chickens
with some beer oughta work just fine
so he bought some beef from his buddy the butcher
he carted in a couple cold kegs
a multitude amassed in a line a mile long
before he drove in the last tent pegs

it's beans with bacon and brimstone
a sermon with the sauce on the side
buttered cornbread while the good book is read
get a bud and get baptized
desperate times call for desperate means
it's a matter of survival
it's reverend bob's beer and barbecue big tent bible revival

the reverend randall's been packin' em in
with porkchops and god's good word
his barbecue sauce is as hot as hell
it helps to get his message heard
they wash it all down with a mug of cold suds
and toast the devil's rival
at reverend bob's beer and barbecue
big tent bible revival

yeah it's beans with bacon and brimstone
a sermon with the sauce on the side
buttered cornbread while the good book is read
get a bud and get baptized
desperate times call for desperate means
it's a matter of survival
it's reverend bob's beer and barbecue big top bible revival
come to reverend bob's beer and barbecue big top bible revival

Have at it...

floyd

And... here are the RealTracks used...
RealTracks in song: ~1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 847:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 384:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Rock Southern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2022:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1565:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RockNRollJohn Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome song. Two steppin and the good book :-).. Loved the piano. Excellent playing and singing

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This song runneth over with alliteration and I hope you won't get offended but I can't help it, I've got to poke some fun at you over this line -

"Jesus fetched his followers for a friendly fish fry" now that is a new tongue twister if I ever heard one LOL - you can sing it but can you say it out loud five times fast? LOL grin

Good sound as always.

PS. Edit to add - Mac mentioned Ray Stevens who was one of my favs growing up and this really reminds me of something Ray'd do with one of his wild videos to go with it. LOL. Kudos.

Last edited by Sundance; 11/04/13 06:18 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd,

This is one of the best ever sounding production of Realtracks I've heard. What you've put together is toe-tappingly awesome! It's a real feel-good song that gave me a surge of adrenalin with all its energy!

As Josie has pointed out, alliteration abounds in these lyrics. So does assonance, consonance, inner-rhyme and concealed alliteration. These lyrics are a textbook example of how to use such rhetorical devices to increase the singability and memorability of words. Wow! I can't even begin to comprehend how much time it must have taken to put these verses and chorus together. It's like a jigsaw puzzle with 5,000 pieces!

Words and phrases that come to mind as I sit here trying to think of things to write are: 'creatively clever', 'great sense of comedy', 'incredibly visual imagery', 'top shelf production', 'how did he do that?', 'just ... wow!'

Scrape. Clunk. Clunk. There goes that songwriting bar up yet another notch or two.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

what fun to listen to.
Words, vocals, harmonies and arrangement are awesome.
A typical Floyd production.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd

What fun! I want to go to a revival like that. Will sure spice up my otherwise rather drab Sundays.

Excellent work. Real rock 'n roll. Keep it up!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Loved every minute of it.

Wonderfully expressive vocal and impeccable harmony, all over the top of a crisp, clear and driving backing. Lovely mix and a powerful sound without any compression artefacts.

The lyrics are all just super, but my favourite line has to be - "a sermon with the sauce on the side." Inspired.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, Very good write, fun song. Great Production and vocals as usual. I really liked the way the instruments hang on the end of some of the lines while the drums push through. Very effective and another tool to put in the bag of tricks. I assume you used the ... on the chords and after dragging the tracks to the DAW, you must have gone back and removed the ... in order to keep the drum track moving through the measure and then dragged the new drum track in place. Just all around great work. At first I thought the ending was too long by a few bars, but after going back for several listens it works. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune... loved the lyrical creativity....

Yeah, I'd hate to try to sing some of those lines after having spent the evening at reverend bob's beer and barbecue big tent bible revival.... I don't think the tongue would work well enough to get it all out after a few plates of ribs and a few tall frosty ones.....

What is funny, my son in law posted a pic on farce book of a supposed sign in front of a church that was pretty much along the lines of the topic of this song..... beer and bible study......

hummmmmmmmmmm.... really?

BTW: I was getting hungry and thirsty just listening....

Good job

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/04/13 08:19 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
WAY kewl!

Couple o' tight spots in the lyrical that might like a tad of the rewrite, but daggone, this is DEMOSONG material that one of the big names might even pick, bro.

That Ray Stevens thang...

Love it.

--Mac

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Haha My Dad was a Lay preacher and he would have loved a meet like that!!!

My favourite line is "they wash it all down with a mug of cold suds" I suspect however that a couple or three may have passed your lips during the writing of those lyrics.

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Alyn

User Showcase
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Floyd:

The lyrics are very well crafted. All the alliteration adds to the fun.

I especially like the line "a sermon with the sauce on the side"

Very good job.

John

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott - Thanks for the listen and comment. I appreciate it. Those pianos are so incredibly good. Kind of surprising we don't see them used more often, I think...

Josie - I can take pokin' smile "Jesus fetched his followers for a friendly fish fry" is one of my favorite lines of any I've ever written in my entire life.

Is Ray Stevens still around? And what ever happened to Jim Stafford? We don't really have one of those "comedy/parody guys" anymore... Weird Al maybe...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
..... And what ever happened to Jim Stafford? We don't really have one of those "comedy/parody guys" anymore... Weird Al maybe...

Jim Stafford is alive and well in Branson. (weird Al too) My wife and I went this past summer for a few days. Road trip from NC through TN into MO and back.

Jim has his own theater there and we decided to get tickets to see his show. The theater was about 1/10th full.... way too many empty seats especially considering it was mid summer tourist season. However the other shows and theaters were also nearly empty. We needed to switch plans and move one show's reserved tix to a sooner night, and were amazed to get 2nd row center tix..... until we got there and saw the empty theater.

Anyway, back to Jim.... he did all his hit songs of yester-year and added comedy and one liners into it. Had his kids on stage and he was quite the guitar player..... I don't often think of the guy who sang "Cow Patty" as being an accomplished guitar picker but he is. Cow Patty was a 15 minute song/comedy routine..... very entertaining. It was the best show we saw while there. I still have the videos in my phone and look at them every now and then.

I think one reason the theaters were all so empty was that there are theaters on every corner and half a dozen in between.... they are everywhere. Several were shut down with "for sale" signs on them. Beside the theaters, we didn't really see much to do for adults in that town. Traffic is unbelievably horrendous. I quickly learned what roads to avoid and shortcuts or log cuts to get around the congestion. It reminded me of Orlando or Myrtle Beach with out the ocean. At least in MB you could go and soak up the sun and sand.....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel - Thanks for all those superlatives! I do think this is about the most alliteration you could put into a song... You would think that Pat would be using this as "the example", eh?...

Guenter - Thanks for the comments...

Joanne - Thanks. I do seem to be leaning towards "rockin' out" these days. Could never quite do that until I got BIAB and was able to get the pieces in the right places...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
ROG - always appreciate your comments - and are always pleased if the mix suits you - I know you've got the equipment and the ears to get to the truth...

For the "sermon with the sauce on the side" line, I used to change that on the 2nd chorus to "a sermon with the sausage and fries.." - for a little different flavor (so to speak) but decided to leave it this time...

Tom - Thanks.

Re: the drums "running through" a hold... the method you describe will work, but you can have BIAB do it for you... After the 3 dots (the hold) add any part that you want to ignore the hold... typically the drums and sometimes the drums and bass (for me) like this:

G...d (<<< G chord held - but drums keep playing)

G...bd (<<< G chord help - but drums and bass keep playing)

Questions?

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb - appreciate the listen. I had heard that Stafford did a good show. The Branson idea was a good one in it's time - but it applies to an era whose audience must be getting smaller all the time - we can't last forever...

Mac - Thanks for that. So... Ray is still kickin'.. looked him up and he has a pretty nice website... it's so easy to loss yourself in the internet world...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Alyn - well... maybe a few... hey! it's for a cause!...

John - thanks for the listen and the comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

I have been sitting here laughing at your
absolutely superb lyrics !:))
I love them as I do love the whole production !:))
Written quality all over it!:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bravo!

I'm digging it, great job.

Frank

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 11, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195