M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Do you mean it won't play if BIAB inserted as a "Hi-Q" track/part/instrument

Quote:
Or do you mean you, external and apart from BIAB, you cannot make SampleTank play that sound even if you manually inserted it into a Sampletank part ?

Don't have any MIDI controllers hooked up to the laptop in question, but the other night I did open SampleTank itself and loaded that same missing Grand Piano into it and could not play it with the mouse on the visual keyboard. Tried a few of the instruments that do play inside of BB and they would not play with the virtual keyboard either.

Not too concerned about it, really, I got stuff here that blows the SampleTanks sounds into the river.

I just like to tinker with broken things.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Strange since Newbert seems to have the opposite - he can't get BIAB to load them "automagically" but supposedly he can manually do it - and it works ????
But like I said before I'm lost here - I have two different set ups EACH non-standard and they BOTH work on two OS's. yet you and Newbert (and I suspect a few others have parts working and parts not working)

Like you I have tons of other sounds internal and external that are better - but it irks me to have something on my PC not work!

In any case, you are no novice so unless PG support can sort this out - I think you are now "our'" (Newbert's for sure) best bet to breaking this log jam.
I can't even "break" mine and get it to NOT work so I have something to chase.

Well I'm old and going to bed shortly so will look at this again in morn (maybe)
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran

For Newbert only:

NEWBERT Said: FWIW, the Hi-Q files ARE still located directly under D:\bb\dxsettings. (They are located in the program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments folder as well.) "

Larry replied:

Then I would simply leave those alone since they do not hurt anything being elsewhere (but will probably confuse you and PG support later) so as info

In YOUR "D:\bb\DX Settings" folder there should be 81 files that START with

"HI-Q…" and end with either .txt or .tgs.

And there are exactly THREE files per "HI-Q…" named type (Two .txt's ; one .tgs)
(27 HI-Q sounds times 3 files per sound = 81 files)

There should also be a tow other files (minimum)
"DefaultDXiSynth.tgs" file and a "Factory_DefaultDXiSynth.tgs" [and POSSIBLY a
Factory_DefaultDXAudio.tgs -Depends on other installs]

NONE of these files should be in the \Band-in-a-Box\ sub-folder anywhere! But they also do not HURT anything being there- they just confuse you (and will confuse PG support at some point)

NEWBERT SAID: "….I assume those are distributed throughout the program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments folder and NOT the d:\bb\dxsettings\ folder?"

Larry SAID:

Again correct grasshopper but too many for me to manually type out you get the thumbnail verison:

\Bass has 12 files (3 basses x 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw)

\Drums 8 files (2 kits x 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw)

\Guitar 28 files (7 types/kinds x 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw)

\Piano 29 FILES (8 types/kinds of keys but not EXACTLY 4 of each kind of file since the two organs JAZZ and ROCK SHARE the .stw, .sth and .sti files they only have unique .stip files)

\Strings 8 files ( 2 kinds times 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw)

\Synth 12 files (3 kinds times 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw)

\World 8 files (2 kinds times 4 files types each of .stip, .sti. .sth. .stw ).type

NEWBERT SAID: "Also, how do I go about installing the VSTi for ST without having to reinstall everything or use up another ST activation?"

Larry said:

If you already have it installed - simply re-installing but adding the VSTi should not require re-authorization but that's a crap shoot - you are on your own. (PS if you run out of authorizations- simply email IK support they should fix you up) .

There is at least one other way but not for novices-so I won’t be listing it here

good luck - DO CONTACT SUPPORT on this!!

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: newbert
How do you take/post your screen shots? If I could do that, this process might be easier.

I've been following all this with interest but don't have anything to add yet but I can answer this for you.

Two ways to put a screenshot on the forum but first create the pic. You create the pic by hitting Print Screen on your keyboard. That captures every pixel on your monitor and saves it to your clipboard then you paste it into Microsoft Paint. Do a Save As to a gif or jpeg file, I used a gif and it worked fine earlier.

Now that you have a gif file saved wherever you put it there's two ways to post it. One is to use a third party website like Photobucket, it's free and they will host a whole library of photos for you. You post the URL to your forum post and it shows up that way. The second way is to click on the link in the bottom of your posting window here called File Manager. Open that up and follow the instructions. That will attach the pic directly to your post, no third party website required.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 12/15/13 12:33 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

As Larry has said, so far it seems as all the sounds can be loaded manually. This suggests that ...

(a) either the BIAB Hi-Q instructions are not working properly

(b) the Sampletank default directory is not properly set

Just to make absolutely sure that it's not (b), could you please load in the Sampletank soft synth (you're probably quite and expert at this now!) and go to preferences.

Check the path for the root directory. From what you've said, it should be ...

c:\Program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments

After pressing "Prefs" (#1), I'd use the "Browse" (#2) button to navigate to the above directory and then hit OK until you exit everything.

We need to make absolutely sure that the default directory is set properly.

Also, after setting the above, close everything and fully power down your computer (do not simply put it on standby). Now restart the computer and see if the problem still exists.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I had exactly the same problem.

Eventually after trying different things, I ignored the yellow error messages telling me what to do and.

1 Went to my IKmultimedia folder on hard drive.
2 Opened the Sampletank folder, created an instrument folder within the sampletank folder.
3 Installed the HI-Q's to this instrument folder.
4 Went to preferences in sampletank, browsed to the instruments folder within Sampletank folder (note not instruents folder within main Ikmultimedia) selected the instruments folder within sampletank, don't select the band in a box folder, and then clicked ok.

Band in a box shows on main right side sampletank window now, even though its the instrument folder that was selected.

Seems to work fine now.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 12/15/13 07:03 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Bert,

As Larry has said, so far it seems as all the sounds can be loaded manually. This suggests that ...

(a) either the BIAB Hi-Q instructions are not working properly

(b) the Sampletank default directory is not properly set

Just to make absolutely sure that it's not (b), could you please load in the Sampletank soft synth (you're probably quite and expert at this now!) and go to preferences.

Check the path for the root directory. From what you've said, it should be ...

c:\Program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments

After pressing "Prefs" (#1), I'd use the "Browse" (#2) button to navigate to the above directory and then hit OK until you exit everything.

We need to make absolutely sure that the default directory is set properly.

Also, after setting the above, close everything and fully power down your computer (do not simply put it on standby). Now restart the computer and see if the problem still exists.

Regards,
Noel

Noel, I changed the path for the root directory as you instructed (c:\Program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments).....and now it works from within BIAB! That is, when I click on "Select Hi-Q MIDI Synth Patch....) The path had been set to c:\Program files(x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\.

THANK YOU!

Now one last question. Should or should I not install Sampletank VST? I only have DXI installed, and I really don't want fix something that's not broken. What's the difference between VST and DXI anyway?

Thanks again!

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE. Some things are still amiss......

Although I'm able to find/load the Hi-Q Synth Files, they can only be found when I start BIAB with "Run as Administrator". When I simply dbl-click the shortcut icon, BIAB can't find the files.

In addition, I now can't get some NON Hi-Q sounds to play. For example -- Load the LHBLZ1 style and load the demo song (Bread and Butter Blues). In this song, both the Melody and Piano use "Instrument 1 - Acoustic Piano". When I play or GenPlay, the melody and piano are silent. If I load a Hi-Q synth to those voices, they can be heard (ie - they play).

What happened to the "Instrument 1 Acoustic Piano" sound? (It worked before we tried all of these things to get the Hi-Q files working.)

And why can the Hi-Q files be found only when I "Run a Administrator"?

(With all of these quirks, I'm really tempted to just start from scratch with a new install at this point....)

Or maybe I should just try Musiclover's suggestion......

Last edited by newbert; 12/15/13 12:50 PM.

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bert,

Firstly, the BIAB's Hi-Q sounds call on the DXi version of Sampletank. I wouldn't worry about installing the VSTi version.

Secondly, Sampletank requires that's it's run in administration mode. Have a read of this thread and you'll see what I mean. That explains why it's necessary to run BIAB in administrator mode.

To run BIAB in administrator mode each time you start it, simply find the file BBW.EXE in \bb, right-click on it, select 'Properties', and set it's privileges.

Thirdly, in relation to the style LHBLZ1 .... It sounds like the Sampletank synth is still plugged in to either the Piano slot or the Default slot. Because Sampletank is not a general midi synth, it's necessary to load a sound into it to get it to work. When you open a midi style, go into the VST/DXi settings and check each of the tracks to see if Sampletank has been removed (especially the Default, highlighted, and the Piano tracks).

Originally Posted By: Noel
NOTES

1. When you want to run General Midi, make sure that the Coyote WT is installed in the "Default" slot and that Sampletank has been removed from all slots.

2. If you've used a Hi-Q sound with a style and then change to another style, Sampletank will still be installed as a VST/DXi. It's necessary to manually remove it.

It was good to read that the problem was sorted. Reflecting back, maybe it was the 'Administration Mode' restriction that stopped it working the first time.

All the best,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 12/15/13 02:54 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
1. GLAD to hear that all you had to do was move/copy the \Band-in-a-Box\ folder to another location!

(That's sounds an awful lot like last year's solution ?)

2. If your only reason to use ST is HI-Q - then correct no need to get worry about the VSTi.

3. Only reason to install VSTi is stability and use in other SW (some that no longer support DXi's) - ST has more uses than ONLY for HI-Q sounds or for only inside BIAB.

I have found (and a few others here have similar instances) some "stability" issues with the DXi version of ST as opposed to the VSTi. Especially if you load and unload instruments (then "rinse & repeat"), or run ST "scripts" (like the OmniSynth 2 GM "script"), too many times in one BIAB session.

BUT YMMV!

Mac,

Can you report back if that solution (moving/copying the \Band-in-a-Box\ folder to a folder as described a few posts' up by Musiclover works? I'm curious as hell on this one.

GOOD LUCK

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/15/13 02:39 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Larry,

I imagine you already know this and I mention it for others who might be reading this post. I did make the comment in an earlier post (I think), but it would be easy to slip past it because it was a length pots.

It is important that the path set by Sampletank preferences is one level higher (i.e. the Root folder) for the sounds one intends to use.

For example: let's say the path to the BIAB sounds is ...

c:\directory1\directory2\directory3\Band In A Box

... the then preferences in Sampletank must be set to ...

c:\directory1\directory2\directory3

Also, all other sounds that are added to Sampletank (for example I've bought a number of packages from eSoundz) must be added off "Directory3" above for them to show up within Sampletank.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Bert,

Firstly, the BIAB's Hi-Q sounds call on the DXi version of Sampletank. I wouldn't worry about installing the VSTi version.

Secondly, Sampletank requires that's it's run in administration mode. Have a read of this thread and you'll see what I mean. That explains why it's necessary to run BIAB in administrator mode.

To run BIAB in administrator mode each time you start it, simply find the file BBW.EXE in \bb, right-click on it, select 'Properties', and set it's privileges.

Thirdly, in relation to the style LHBLZ1 .... It sounds like the Sampletank synth is still plugged in to either the Piano slot or the Default slot. Because Sampletank is not a general midi synth, it's necessary to load a sound into it to get it to work. When you open a midi style, go into the VST/DXi settings and check each of the tracks to see if Sampletank has been removed (especially the Default, highlighted, and the Piano tracks).

Originally Posted By: Noel
NOTES

1. When you want to run General Midi, make sure that the Coyote WT is installed in the "Default" slot and that Sampletank has been removed from all slots.

2. If you've used a Hi-Q sound with a style and then change to another style, Sampletank will still be installed as a VST/DXi. It's necessary to manually remove it.

It was good to read that the problem was sorted. Reflecting back, maybe it was the 'Administration Mode' restriction that stopped it working the first time.

All the best,
Noel

Noel,

Thank You. That's exactly what was happening. I've learned a lot from this thread, but still am far from being an expert.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,293
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181