#38341 10/04/09 10:05 AM
RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi Folks, I've been having a lot of fun making up songs now I would like to add vocals in RB. I can record vocals and hear the playback (going to need lots of reverb) but unable to monitor vocals while I sing. Could someone tell what might be the fix so I can hear vocals while I record in BB and or RB. Im using 2009.5 Windows XP with internal soundcard. Thanks, Jerry

Last edited by bosco; 10/04/09 10:07 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Are you using an external mixer?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Just a small pre amp..lows mid high vol etc...volume is up. VU meters shows signal in..thou not showing on mixer slider meter

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Bosco - please list your hardware and software setup and we'll gladly advise you

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You'll either need an external mixer or a sound card that allows direct monitoring. If you use ASIO drivers maybe you can monitor through the card. That's a big maybe.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi Sam, Im using a dell pentium 2.40 Ghz 512 MB Ram PC..I have the 2009.5 Super pack with all real tracks and drums (not all loaded), have done the lastest patches. Not sure exactly if drivers are set up right but I can hear and use all real trcks and midi. As you can probably tell by now I am a novice. My outboard stuff is simply a shure sm57 mic..a small behringer pre amp with tone and volume controls for the mic..and thats it for now. I hope this is what you were asking. I can record and playbck vocals or instrument so I have signal, but cannot hear in phones while doing so. Signal Thanks

RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Gee, No quick fix..I'll get by for now..perhaps I'll get a new sound card for my birthday or Christmas. While I got ya..when I record a vocal in RB thats where Im workin..I press record and there is a count in of 1-2-3-4..count in tempo fine for that measure but clicks tru whole song and at off time..how do I adjust this to click in tempo after song has started or just set it to stop after the count in? Thanks Jerry

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Simple. Plug a set of headphones into your computer.

You don't need anything more. No additional soundcard

Settings may need a look - check your Audio settings

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sam,
He has headphones plugged in that's why he can hear what he recorded. Look on the properties for the card and see if there's a check box for direct monitoring. I'm sort of surprised it doesn't but Dell always used in the past an odd ball oem creative card.It may just be a matter of settings in the playback and record properties.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Check the playback properties and see if your line in is enabled and turned up.
You should be using the line in connection for the preamp (right?)

It is most likely your line in is muted or turned down in the playback section, while be turned up in the record section of the soundcard mixer. That would expain getting a good signal and not hearing it.

Just to mention - 512 RAM is pretty small amount for audio, but if it is working well for you, that's cool.

For metronome isuue (click). Check Options-metronome, or click the metronome icon at top.
There are checkboxes and numeric settings to make it do whatever you want.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
rharv that worked! ..alls good for now thanks very much

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Get a small behringer mixer, like the xenyx 802 and do all the connections there and it will get easier.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
C
C
wow, thanks for your advices i also am trying to do so, now i an use your techniques

...With love to myspace glitter graphics...
RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
The suggestion that rharv had for my ills with Windowa XP worked. Since my Ram is not suitable for audio recording I now am trying to record audio on my new PC with Vista 64 OS 6 GB Ram...what a different animal. I have similar problems with Vista OS that Im unable to figure out concerning monitoring (still a novice by the way). I have signal in via line input (using same preamp) line in at 100% on left channel only VU meter. When I press play I have song on VU (R) but no line in VU (L). When I press record I have line in VU (L) and no sound for song as if muted . Any thoughts? I hope I was clear enough to understand. Thanks, Jerry

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I'd bet you could get quite a bit of recording done even if you only have that 12m of ram.

Realtime effects is where you may run into some problems, but as far as multitracking, that is more of a disk throughput issue than anything else.

Try it. See what can be done. Don't take someone else's word that you will have problems until you check that out for yourself.

BTW -- I routinely and intentionally pull ram sticks out of the computer during beta tests...

--Mac

RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi Mac, I have no idea what you just said..other than I I could still get a guite a bit of recording done with 12m of ram. If I continue to use my XP how much time do I have left..a month..a year?..I'm a former Marine just give it to me Mac..I can take it..I would like to get the Vista workin like the XP then move on to other issues with Vista. Jerry

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I used a PII 400Mhz with 256 Ram for years recording full bands. 16 tracks was not a problem. No Real Time effects though had to use "destructive" effects.This was my setup until about 5 months ago.
Your new to the program. Use the computer your familiar with and do some music. Learn BIAB & Real Band. When your really good at both then maybe shift to the new computer SLOWLY. If you don't you'll get frustrated and spend all of your time trying to fix computer things and not know if it's the machine, the program or you.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
All I said was -

"Just to mention - 512 RAM is pretty small amount for audio, but if it is working well for you, that's cool."

How is that saying you can't record with it?

If it is working, cool, use it!. I was just saying it is a low number, and IF you did have problems it may be something to check. A stick of RAM is pretty cheap (and may turn that XP machine into a monster recording system). Mac was saying to try the XP system also - you have it working you said, so see how it responds thru a whole song project, you may be fine. As for how long do you have, you should get years out of it.
I prefer XP with 512RAM over any vista machine at this point. The Vista machines I have dealt with all needed a lot of settings changed to work smoothly. Just my experience, not a rule.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Hi Mac, I have no idea what you just said..other than I I could still get a guite a bit of recording done with 12m of ram. If I continue to use my XP how much time do I have left..a month..a year?..I'm a former Marine just give it to me Mac..I can take it..I would like to get the Vista workin like the XP then move on to other issues with Vista. Jerry

You have as much time as you want wih it.

Even if microsoft stops support for XP totally, it will still be a find OS for your recording purposes for quite some time to come.

And -- what in the world is a "former" Marine?

Once. Always.

Semper Fi from the old fly guy, supergroundpounder!

--Mac

RealBand
B
bosco Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi Guys, I really appreciate all your inputs on this matter and all have good suggestions. As I re read replys with no medicine head from cold I see a little clearer what I read. I think I will stick with XP for now I know more about it's OS than the Vista., Vista is faster but with issues I'm unable to understand how to resolve myself and the frustrations involved are not worth my lifes time, I'll approuch learning Vista a little at a time. Going to look into the stick thing..I have a couple I'm not using. Going to use my time making music and hope everything goes well. Again thanks to all, Jerry

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,274
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181