Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
G
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I recently rediscovered the joy of recording jazz using the Band in a Box swinging rhythm section.

1) I typed in my own harmonization of WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN and then added an intro and outro.

2) After muting the piano (as I would be playing my own), I saved as a MIDI file and imported the file into LogicExpress.

3) The individual drum components were placed on separate tracks so I could EQ, reverb, and level each of the component
parts individually into the mix. I found the bass playing an octave too low so I simply transposed it up one octave.

4) I then improvised several performances of my piano part using several tracks. I then pieced together an acceptable
composite of several performances and then edited notes, rhythms and velocities. One 16th-note run was composed right
on the screen.

5) I then went back to change some of the drum and bass parts so as to better support my piano playing. This was fun -
adding accents and such.

6) I played around further for a couple of days and finally came up with a final mix which is posted up on iCompositions. Here 'tis -

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=126853

Constructive comments most welcome. Thanks for listening.

gpt

Last edited by georgeptingley; 11/15/09 02:02 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Laid back and not what I expected at all.

Nice.

Very nice.

--Mac

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Loved your arrangement. You've given me some ideas. I usually think of this tune as up-tempo two-beat style.

Expert
Expert
very nice indeed

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very refreshing sound! Reminds me a bit of Vince Grimaldi. I like your ideas.
DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes, George -- very smooth, very tasty -- you can post more of these.

Reminded me of the elegant stylings of Hank Jones.

Brad -- My FAWM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry guys I meant to write it reminds me of Vince Guaraldi. Check out his Charlie Brown Christmas cd. Post some more, I like the flavor of it. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice, George! Just now got a chance to listen to it and thoroughly enjoyed your version of Saints.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran

Very classy. Thanks for sharing this.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Nice, exactly how to use BIAB!

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Loved your arrangement. You've given me some ideas. I usually think of this tune as up-tempo two-beat style.

Absolutely top shelf! Also not even close to what I expected, this is a wonderful arrangement.

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
I really liked this arrangement, also. It sounds like something David Benoit would be recording.

That piano you used has a gorgeous clear tone.

Welcome to the forum, George.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Is there a button for this "Swinging rhythm section" that I'm missing? or are we just referring to various swing styles? That was an awesome piece regardless. The piano was fantastic.

Rob

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Is there a button for this "Swinging rhythm section" that I'm missing? or are we just referring to various swing styles? That was an awesome piece regardless. The piano was fantastic.

Rob

You brought out a chuckle here, Rob.

No one-button trick at all, just the chosen BIAB style playing as it was designed to play.

Of course, a well-versed and tasty hand at Realtime Playing, Chord Entry, Substitutions, the jazz devices, goes a long way towards making this arrangement very interesting as it plays. There is some very tasty changes in the backup band chording as the tune progresses. Typical of what well-versed live players might do in order to keep the Ear Candy flowing and help create that build to climax and then to anti-climax thang, not just repeating the same exact chord sequence for every chorus. This example is well thought out in that regard IMO. And, yes, the style of live recording and playing that piano is a tribute to the late great Vince Guaraldi. A genius who modestly described himself as "just a boogie-woogie pianist" -- and there's truth to that statement, analyze "Linus and Lucy" and you've got a modified boogie-woogie LH with swing sections interspersed.

Listen to it again and focus on his LH comping. It is ALL THERE.

The Flat Five sub leads to the Flat Two sub, which is on the highway to Tritone City...

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Tough being in traffic in Tritone City. Everyone is stuck in the middle trying to find another way to go home.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
very nicely done.
Bravo!

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
When this program is handled by someone with true musical genius and instinct it is capable of amazing results! Your arrangement and playing were superb.

I think the key is to have a solid concept of what you want to accomplish and then use various tools, including BIAB to accomplish that, instead of the approach many are taking, which is to sort of let the program dictate direction.

I'm going to look for everything you have posted. Count me among your fans.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I think the key is to have a solid concept of what you want to accomplish and then use various tools, including BIAB to accomplish that, instead of the approach many are taking, which is to sort of let the program dictate direction.

BINGO

Hold yer cards, ladies and gennamen, we have a winner here!

"Always have the full arrangement in your head first..."

We cannot count on Serendippity to bring in every performance.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
hi George! that's some great playing there really enjoyed this thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
K
K
This is my kinda Jazz, GT. Very tasty.

Cheers!
Kj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195