Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#431382 - 09/27/17 06:48 AM [User Showcase] (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I spent 3 weeks in Savannah one night....

(WHAT AM I DOING) IN SAVANNAH TONIGHT

out on the highway
the headlights do a slow dance
when i see her again
i'll hold her so tight
for months she's been begging
with a florida postmark
so what am i doing in savannah tonight

don't you just love
   the way those southern girls talk
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

never intended
more than just a quick detour
to hook up with an old friend
pass a couple around
lost all track of time
enchanted nights by the river
where southern belles dance
in this confederate town

don't you just love
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

for weeks i've been saying
i really must go
we head back to the river
raise a glass to goodbye
if she's given up waiting
could anyone blame her
i watch the moon dance across
a clear georgia sky

don't you just love
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

what am i doing
   under old gaslights
   and what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

The BAND:
Style is _CFPBTSW.STY (SlowCtryWltz 2FngerPkGuits[85RS])
RealTracks in style: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~1126:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~2053:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~822:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Waltz Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2259:Piano, Rhythm CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2250:Piano, Soloist CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2450:Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~~1090:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2006:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryWaltzPaul Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
RealDrums in style: NashClassicWaltzSw^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Harmonies: Janice Merritt (recorded and processed by Bud Merritt)
(well, ya gotta have Georgians involved, ya know...)

Comments welcome (they should include a drawl)
Have at it, y'all.

floyd

#431392 - 09/27/17 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work on this, Floyd smile I like the gentle, slow pace this tune follows. I found the vocal performance and lyrical content very authentic and heartfelt as well. Very easy to relate to, and the tune is easy to close your eyes and lose yourself to.

Thanks for sharing!

#431409 - 09/27/17 11:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I really love your lyric writing. <3 I always find it so moving. I like the almost tender tone to this one, although it also has a touch of sadness to the song as well.

Lovely sound. Thanks for sharing.

#431412 - 09/27/17 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: england
Biglad Offline
Apprentice

Loc: england
As always with your writing floyd,you keep the listener wanting more.you have a talent for creating an atmosphere and taking us there.the production is first class as is the vocals.yours and Janice's.
a great track thank you
brad

#431418 - 09/27/17 12:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
This one has such a beautiful chorus! The lead and backing vocals blend perfectly.
This is another quality song, in a very long list of quality songs.

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#431423 - 09/27/17 01:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

your lead vocal is so good!

the instruments and arrangement are all well thought out

and work to maximum effect

super write

what can I say, I like it a lot

Kenny

#431433 - 09/27/17 03:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

A very pretty evocative song - (tender even) - that has a superb melody. Lovely chorus, excellent vocals both your lead and Janice's wonderful harmony, and an engaging lyric.
Like Kenny I like it a lot.

Peter

#431435 - 09/27/17 03:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hi floyd. Dont recall you doing a waltz before.
You have a assembled a great team there.
Great lyrics and I really enjoyed the melody and harmonies.
Nicely done on all fronts.
Sorry for the lack of the southern drawl smile
Rob

#431437 - 09/27/17 03:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This song has that large mossy spanish oak in the back yard feel about it like you may hear in a movie. I can see myself setting under the slow turning ceiling fan on the back porch catching the afternoon breeze, sweet tea and Paula Deen Take Out... (snap) Oh, here I am back on the farm.

Great imagery, and a solid vocal with outstanding backing vocals. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

#431441 - 09/27/17 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Floyd,

You`ve given this song a lovely relaxed feel with the arrangement.
I`m a sucker for a waltz and the story behind this one is really well told- romantic but real.
There`s lots of instruments on that list but the backing sounds simple and just right.
Your voice blends better than ever with Janice on the chorus.
Beautiful.

Robert

#431453 - 09/27/17 06:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: 44kfl]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

your lead vocal is so good!

the instruments and arrangement are all well thought out

and work to maximum effect

super write

what can I say, I like it a lot

Kenny

Floyd,

I couldn't have said it better than Kenny did. Major 7th and minor chords on pedal steel are so gorgeous. And you have a way of making the great sound fabulous. And this is the legitimate definition of musical creation and performance.

That chorus is one the best pieces of writing I've encountered in a very long time. Musical excellence creating listening satisfacion.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#431456 - 09/27/17 06:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful love song Floyd. Super vocal and such beautiful harmonies. Guitar was so sweet. Just floated along with the backtrack. Well done. You have so many good songs. But I think this is your best. The mix was professional as well. Everything just sits in there so perfectly.

#431485 - 09/28/17 06:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Wow Floyd.

You just never cease to amaze.

It doesn't seem to matter what music genre you turn to, you never do anything except master it.

The lyrics, the rhyming technique, the harmony, the absolutely everything makes this another masterpiece.

Always look forward to your material. Don't 'wore-it-out' yet.

Trev
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#431495 - 09/28/17 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Pretty intro and love the waltz. Such pretty vocal and harmonies with wonderful imagery. Great job!

#431572 - 09/28/17 06:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
SWEEEEEET!!! As seductive as Savannah apparently is. Beautiful poetic lyrics and a melody you could just wash around in for an hour. The band is perfectly conducted. Love that decorative piano and the expressive guitar. It doesn't get much better than this. GREAT one Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

#431591 - 09/28/17 10:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
Mr. Jane...

I know what you were doing in Savannah last night -- you were composing another one of your sensual and sweet songs!

Every single time I listen to one of your songs, my interest is usually drawn first to the soft, flickering flame of your lyrics. If you get any better at that, soon you won't need to compose music for them, because all the music anybody will need to hear will be contained within, and then released through the melody and rhythm inherent in your verses:

"The headlights do a slow dance..."

"...she's been begging with a Florida postmark..." (That one's particularly imaginative in its imagery and is freighted with warmth and emotion.)

"...your way barely lit by an old gaslight..."

As impressionistic as memories your lyrics are, Mr. Jane. On this particular song your singing voice is of the kind that holds our attention the more quiet it becomes. Talk about "sweet whispers in her ear"!

And last, but certainly not least, Ms. Merritt's vocals are like spirits that embody all of the nostalgia the song conjures up.

I counted eleven (11) Real Tracks/MIDI super tracks in your song, but it sounds like there were no more than three, or four. That's how initimate the feel of the song is. However you pulled that off in technical terms, in the end it simply sounds like magic.

LOREN

Edited by bluage (09/28/17 10:42 PM)

#431611 - 09/29/17 02:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
"Begging with a Florida postmark". just beautiful Floyd.

#431717 - 09/29/17 07:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: Ember - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Great work on this, Floyd smile I like the gentle, slow pace this tune follows. I found the vocal performance and lyrical content very authentic and heartfelt as well. Very easy to relate to, and the tune is easy to close your eyes and lose yourself to.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Deryk. I appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really love your lyric writing. <3 I always find it so moving. I like the almost tender tone to this one, although it also has a touch of sadness to the song as well.

Lovely sound. Thanks for sharing.

Ember - thanks for listening. And for the very kind comments...

#431812 - 09/30/17 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: RnAM]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Biglad
As always with your writing floyd,you keep the listener wanting more.you have a talent for creating an atmosphere and taking us there.the production is first class as is the vocals.yours and Janice's.
a great track thank you
brad

Appreciate you stopping in, Brad. It's is always a pleasure to sing with Janice.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
This one has such a beautiful chorus! The lead and backing vocals blend perfectly.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Always interested in how these sit with you...

#431869 - 10/01/17 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight [Re: RnAM]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Originally Posted By: Biglad
a great track thank you
brad

Originally Posted By: RnAM

Rob

Thank you for mentioning the harmony. This southern girl was excited to be asked to add a little to this great southern song!

Janice
J&B Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28456 Members
58 Forums
55313 Topics
460816 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nobby, jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 382
Pipeline 346