The blues won’t let you down

Bridge
If you’re one of the lucky
This world will break your heart
Tear down all your ego dreams
Turn your head around
To what’s really worth it

PopBlue Poppy Blue Groove
Thanks in advance for listening. Constructive comments welcomed.

Edited by Belladonna (01/06/19 09:32 AM)

#515715 - 01/06/19 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Journeyman

Belladonna,
Thank you for sharing! Nice lyrics, I like the idea of Blues not letting you down. So true!

With some great input from several members here, my mixes improved in the past several month. I think if you use just a bit of reverb on vocals, it might blend things better. If you are using a DAW to record this, maybe even tiny bit of reverb and compression on the master bus, so whole mix blends better. It works for me.

Thank you,
Misha.

#515731 - 01/06/19 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Donna,
I like this song. You have a cool way with words. The track volume on this one is so low I had to turn it way up to hear it. Don't know if you had a soundcloud upload glitch or what. I got the volume warning message turning up the volume too high can damage hearing. grin Anyway, it's much to nice of a song for folks not to be able to easily hear so I hope you can bring up the gain and reload it.

#515777 - 01/06/19 02:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
The BIAB tracks are a good choice. You do need to find a way to get some volume from your mix.

"If you’re one of the lucky
This world will break your heart"

I like that line.

#515793 - 01/06/19 02:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Virginia
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

I'll check it out, I'm a newbie to all this mixing stuff. Thanks for the input.

#515794 - 01/06/19 02:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: floyd jane]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks so much Floyd. I'm learning the mixing stuff still pretty new to that. I'll go back and see what I can do. Again, thanks for the input.

#515834 - 01/06/19 06:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Yeah, it is a pretty song!! Well sung and arranged but VERY quiet. You have been writing some nice stuff! Enjoyed thisI!! Take care. Greg

#515837 - 01/06/19 07:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice promising song, with a good lyric just a bit hard to hear - after turning it up I thought from a mix perspective that you could possibly turn up the drum a bit, and the vocal down a touch? Misha's tips are worth a try.

Peter

#515857 - 01/06/19 10:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
Dear Donna...

Your RealStyle selection for "The Blues Won't Let You Down" has just a touch of the "Motown" sound in it, enough for me to snap my fingers and exclaim, "all right, now, Ms. Belladonna, gimme some a' that good ol' rhythm & blues" cool ! Your voice bounced along with with style as though you were performing a duet with Smokey Robinson smile. I found myself harmonizing the words at the bridge along with your own harmonies!

Your lyrics speak about the bumps in the road of life in a way that made me smile to myself knowingly, rather than yield cynically to the "life ain't fair" complaint. That's because there's something affirmative about the lyrics, in spite of the woes they detail:

"Open arms welcome you..."

"Turn your head around
To what's really worth it..."

"You rest on a rock of ages..."

It's as though you were planting seeds of strength amongst the weeds. The song seems to be as much about surviving adversity as it catalogs troubles that are sure to come our way. But what do I know? I'm just a helplessly optimistic kind'a fella who almost never fails to see the "upside" of life laugh.

I've listened to your song three times as I was writing this, so now that I'm done commenting, I'm gonna go back and listen to it again, but this time with my full and undivided attention.

I like this soulful and wise song!

Truly,

LOREN

#515865 - 01/06/19 10:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Greg Johnson]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Greg for your nice comments.

#515866 - 01/06/19 10:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: PeterF]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks so much Peter for your wonderful comments. Yes, I'm going to try some new things as well as listen to some more tutorials on mixing.

#515867 - 01/06/19 10:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: bluage]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Bluage you are always so gracious and I do believe you always look at the upside of life. Thanks for enjoying the song so much and all your wonderful comments.

#515898 - 01/07/19 04:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Donna,

As I listened to this, it was so easy to see that you've put an awful lot of consideration into getting exactly the right words together. Personally, I find that it's no easy task maintaining rhyme and meter and binding it to a melody. I congratulate you on a fine effort with words, music, arrangement and presentation!

Out of curiosity, what DAW do you use for you final mix? As others have mentioned, this was very low volume. If you could let the forum know what software you use for mixing, I'm pretty sure someone will let you know how to make the final mix louder.

All the best,
Noel

#515905 - 01/07/19 05:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Donna,

This is a very cool song - your vocal is great and I love the overall approach.

Nicely done!

Bob

#515914 - 01/07/19 06:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work on this smile As others mentioned, the volume is wonky but I do enjoy the song. Really interesting lyrics, and the way you perform them is emotional and captivating. Definitely has a dark aura to it, but that's never a bad thing in my book.

Thanks for sharing!

#515926 - 01/07/19 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Belladonna]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Another very nice write,

I love the bridge

nice melodies

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#515938 - 01/07/19 08:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Noel96]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Noel, Thanks for asking about the DAW. Here's the process I'm currently using as I am a real newbie to mixing. I select my style and enter chords in BIAB. I then export it to Real Band and add the vocals and harmonies. I tried to add a little reverb in Real Band (small room dark) but it seemed to distort the vocals way too much, so I really didn't add reverb there. I tried to listen to the loudness/softness of all the instruments and vocals and tried to adjust it all. It seemed to right volume to me when I saved as a wav from Real Band. I then imported the wav file into Audacity and added a little fade in, a teeny bit of reverb there and saved as a wav again.

Edited by Belladonna (01/07/19 08:40 AM)

#515940 - 01/07/19 08:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: rsdean]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Bob.

#515941 - 01/07/19 08:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Deryk.

#515942 - 01/07/19 08:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down [Re: 44kfl]
Belladonna Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Kenny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Cubase®

This video demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Cubase® - Watch now...

NOTE: This video will be expanded soon, with more material that goes through the installation and setup of the plugin, as well as more advanced uses of it.

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows: Installing Build Updates

In this video we go over the process of downloading and installing the Band in-a-Box® build updates: click here to watch

Build updates are available at: www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm

Band-in-a-Box® can also check for updates automatically - head to Help | Check for Updates and check-mark "Automatically check for updates every..." - then choose your days!

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Nuendo®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Nuendo® - Watch now...

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 614 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 614 is available!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes for build 614:
Fixed: Songs would not save plugins on tracks that had a Hi-Q patch selected previously.
Fixed: Hi-Q Patches would not load if the Sforzando VSTi was not in the VSTi plugin list.
Fixed: The Sforzando VSTi was not automatically being added to the VSTi plugin list during bootup (64 bit only).
Fixed: Loading the Hi-Q patch "Hi-Q 040 01 Synth, Analog, FatBass Sforzando" would cause an access violation error.
Fixed: Track Settings > Set Track offset [0] was not working properly.
Fixed: Importing MusicXML files was failing to include melody notes and lyrics.

VST DAW Plugin 1.10.4 fixes:
Improved: Generation is much faster, at least 4X.
Added: Notification dialog when generation is complete, and a setting to toggle this on/off.
Added: 32-Bit AAX plugin for Pro Tools 10.
Fixed: Soloist not generating on first attempt.
Fixed: MIDI tracks could be rendered at wrong tempo in the Master.
Fixed: Multiriff playback and bar highlighting
Added: Much faster MIDI renders: "No MIDI Renders" option in Custom Generate menu. If this is selected, any MIDI tracks will be left as MIDI and not rendered to wave which takes time.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows® Download and Installation Tutorial

If you've purchased Band-in-a-Box® and want to download it to get started right away - make sure you check out our latest video for assistance! Click here to watch...

RealBand® 2019 New Features Video!

Learn more about the new RealBand® 2019 features with our RealBand® 2019 New Features Overview Video: Click here...

RealBand® is included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 612 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 612 is available!

It includes the VST DAW Plugin patch too!!!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Songs would not load or save VST data if larger than 1 megabyte, displaying flash message error "VST/FX data is too large to save".
Fixed: It was not possible to use the N key while entering note based lyrics in the Notation window.
Fixed: Recorded MIDI would be erased if also recording audio.
Fixed: The MIDI Driver dialog would not show the selected VSTi or DXi synth after choosing one in the Plugins window.
Updated: PDF and help file documentation.

Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin 1.9.28 fixes:
There are lots of significant fixes and additions in this patch, especially related to some single track operations not working.

Fixed: Right-clicking generate bass track generated all individual tracks
Fixed: StylePicker, RealTracks Picker, and other style and instrument selection windows would sometimes open behind the main window, requiring you to alt+tab to see them.
Fixed: Loading demo from StylePicker or loading a song when a special track was already present sometimes added an extra RealTracks (special track) to page 2
Fixed: Output directory error.
Fixed: BBW sometimes not receiving message when run as administrator. This would cause some actions to hang or not work at all.
Fixed: Skip grey bars when moving selector through chordsheet.
Fixed: Dragging tracks into Reason would sometimes give a 'Not found' error message.
Fixed: AAX Plugin was not being recognized by Pro Tools.
Fixed: Problem scrolling chord table when crossing PartMarker during highlight.
Fixed: Repaint problem in Reason (possibly other DAWs).
Fixed: Some opened BB songs with realcharts on a frozen track would cause an access violation.
Added: Detailed log file written in BB Data folder bbw4exe_pluginLog.txt.
Fixed: Generation of single tracks would hang the program if the bb folder contained the file MaxPluginsToScan.txt containing Max=0. This file should not normally be present except in rare cases where a DX plugin scan failed.
Added: VST2 FX 32-bit version.
Improved: Installer has options for installing all plugin types. All files are now digitally signed.

Forum Stats
28785 Members
60 Forums
56433 Topics
470450 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Songmaster, tmfretz88, JOBATA, Thomas EybGuitar, craigb

28784 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 322
RobH 321