You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#582463 - 02/26/20 06:17 AM [User Showcase] my first post: What Can I Do
Strummer911 Offline
Enthusiast

This is my first post to the User Showcase, and the first song I've recorded almost totally using BIAB. I am especially pleased with the guitar solo.

Title: What Can I Do

Composer: Steve Andrews

What Can I Do on Soundcloud

Style: _ROOTSRK.STY (Roots-Rock Guitar)

RealTracks:

RealTracks in style: ~~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsRockTremolo Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 2586:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PunkMurray Ev 165
RealDrums [in style:RockRootsEv8^1-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Only one other live rhythm guitar track that's pretty far back in the mix.

Everything was mixed and mastered using Mixcraft

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate constructive criticism.

#582479 - 02/26/20 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Really nice punk-pop sensibility. Loved the breaks in the groove as the sections changed. The band is solid and your vocals blend well to my ears. You're right about that solo guitar bit. Proud-making. Nice to meet you. Excellent first post/first BIAB creation.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#582493 - 02/26/20 10:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Tangmo]
Strummer911 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot, I do appreciate your encouraging words

#582771 - 02/28/20 08:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very nice. You will love this software. Excellent tune.. Guitar sounds great

Edited by Scott C (02/28/20 08:22 AM)

#582805 - 02/28/20 01:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Strummer,

Terrific energy to this tune. The mix sounds good. Overall, it has a real Elvis Costello vibe to it - nice job with BIAB to accomplish that. There are a few spots where the vocal could use a bit of tuning.

I enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum.

fj

#582828 - 02/28/20 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

I enjoy this Brit. rock style and you`ve done a great job with the production- this really has a "band" sound.
Your vocals are confident and energetic (as Floyd mentioned a little tuning called for) and suit the style.
Excellent first song post-welcome to the forum!

Robert

#582850 - 02/28/20 06:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Hi Strummer, not usually my scene, but, I enjoyed this one. Welcome along to the forum and well done on your first track. Biab is capable of so much as most members on here will testify.

#582862 - 02/28/20 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Loc: SA, Australia
I like the song. It's energetic, engaging, and has a good vibe. The vocals are clear and sit well in the mix but I believe a bit of pitch correction on the vocals could improve the overall effect. Good first effort. Look forward to your next.

#582863 - 02/28/20 08:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Good song.
I reckon you could pull back the vocals a little so they sit in the mix rather than on top of it.
Did you use reverb in your DAW?
If Y on what & what type?
Sometimes it's a matter of matching the reverb type and adjusting the amount so that things seem to be in the same room.
welcome & good work.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#582888 - 02/29/20 03:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hello Strummer ...

Love the gritty sound to this! Somewhere between punk rock and Brit Rock. Nice backing tracks ... some great choices there! As far as the vocals, they were crisp and strong. As far as pitch issues ... I have the same problem. I just sing 'em as I can and and go with it. I'm a pretty good guitar picker but a so-so vocalist at best. But I just go with it! Hope you post some more music. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#582914 - 02/29/20 07:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: floyd jane]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Strummer,

Terrific energy to this tune. The mix sounds good. Overall, it has a real Elvis Costello vibe to it - nice job with BIAB to accomplish that. There are a few spots where the vocal could use a bit of tuning.

I enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum.

fj

Well done, Strummer. I really like the well-written song, and your choice of band. I agree with Floyd on the Elvis Costello vibe. First off, I am the least qualified to give advice on vocal, and I like Alan's suggestion to just do it. You have a good voice, but there are a few spots where it goes flat here. There are a few good ways to correct that. For me, it's my lack of confidence that often gets me off pitch. Keep 'em coming, man. I want more.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#582921 - 02/29/20 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Welcome aboard...

The aforementioned Costello vibe is defintely there -- a good thing.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

#582982 - 02/29/20 12:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really well done!! The vibe and attitude in the vocal match the band perfectly!! Really great mix too! Take care. Greg

#583021 - 02/29/20 04:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Chicago, IL
Agree with the other comments. This is a very good, solid rock song with good composition and a very catchy beat. You can do a lot with the vocal quality that you have and it really works for this song and this style. With just a few tweaks this could be taken up a whole notch.

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#583274 - 03/02/20 06:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Strummer911 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and constructive criticism. Any suggestions what to use for pitch correction?

#583323 - 03/02/20 01:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Welcome to the forums - and really nice work on this! Loved the groove and thought it was really catchy too. Definitely gives me an Elvis Costello vibe.

Looking forward to hearing more from you - thanks for sharing smile

#583351 - 03/02/20 04:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

This is a diamond that only needs a little more polishing. The polish would be to pitch correct the vocal a little. Other than that everything else is perfect.

A really good first write.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#583435 - 03/03/20 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: MarioD]
Strummer911 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Mario. Any suggestions on what to use for pitch correction? Is there a plugin you would recommend?

#583438 - 03/03/20 07:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: Strummer911]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Strummer911
Thanks Mario. Any suggestions on what to use for pitch correction? Is there a plugin you would recommend?

I use Melodyne Editor because I can use in with polyphonic tracks, however it is quite expensive:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Melo4EdBX--celemony-melodyne-4-editor-boxed

If you are only going to use it on your vocals then Melodyne Essential will work, plus it is a lot cheaper:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Melo4Ess--celemony-melodyne-4-essential-download

There are a number of other pitch correction program available that I have no experience what so ever. There are some free ones also. Google/Bing pitch correction software and you will find many.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#583447 - 03/03/20 08:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: my first post: What Can I Do [Re: MarioD]
Strummer911 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Mario, I appreciate it

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32841 Members
68 Forums
66127 Topics
561475 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
uhv14437@cuoly.c, Chris52, EyalSavab, Christmas Music, Calceus

32841 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 175
VideoTrack 154