You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#607473 - 07/22/20 11:25 AM [User Showcase] Turn Around
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Just got back from 49 days deep in the North Carolina mountains with no cell service. I’m sure I missed a lot of great songs here. I plan on going back and listening to some of them. I won’t be commenting on the older songs so I don’t mess up the normal flow of the forum. I wrote this as I was driving. It started as a road song, then turned into a breakup song. I hope everyone is staying safe and well in these unusual and trying times.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/turn-around

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/track/2424147/turn-around

RealTracks in style: 2825:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryPopMike12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2911:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryPopBrent12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3074:Mandolin, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsAndy Ev16 060
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2853:Piano, Rhythm CountryPopMike12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2825:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryPopMike12-key Ev 085 Held
Royalty Free Loops

Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins : Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter, Scuffam Amps S-Gear, Waves Vocal Rider, Waves Bass Rider

Vocals, Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitar, Tom Adams

Turn Around

Miles and miles of winding roads

reminding me what i should have known

it never felt right from the start

Tank’s as empty as my broken heart

Can’t recall the last car I passed

Headlights dimming nearly out of gas

It’s a long hard road to the next town

Ain’t no place to be broken down

I just reached up and tore off the rear view mirror

if i keep driving I might disappear

Radio’s dead don’t make a sound

I’m too far gone now to turnaround

Who’s to blame I’ll take my share

On a road that leads to who knows where

some things are never meant to last

When it breaks down it breaks down fast

This trucks not as good as it used to be

Bout twenty years out of warranty

It’s a long hard road to the next town

Ain’t no place to be broken down

I just reached up and tore off the rear view mirror

if i keep driving I might disappear

Radio’s dead don’t make a sound

I’m too far gone now to turnaround

©2020 Thomas Adams

Edited by tommyad (07/22/20 06:55 PM)

#607478 - 07/22/20 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Tommy, this is fantastic. I really liked your vocal and the lyrics in this one. Your playing was top notch, as usual, and your mix was exceptional!

This may be your best to date.

Edited by MarioD (07/22/20 11:41 AM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#607530 - 07/22/20 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Tom

Loved it - instantly accessible - great hooks, lovely playing and singing.
Nailed everything.

A real treat.

Peter

#607540 - 07/22/20 05:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love your songs Tommy. This was no exception Guitars were excellent. Loved the way they framed your vocal. Well done

#607554 - 07/22/20 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Great imagery--the road and break-up (or break-down). I liked the line "if i keep driving I might disappear".
Was the break-up with a girl or with your truck??!?
Real nice track, and I enjoyed it throughout.

#607555 - 07/22/20 06:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Some really nice writing here, but I'll just pick one:
Tank's as empty as this broken heart

Love rhyming mirror with disappear. smile

Well sung, well produced, nice melody. Subtle harmony, excellent playing, great dynamics... Even heard a bit of that mandolin hidden in the background.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#607579 - 07/23/20 01:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Man, so good! Great song, great performance.

And man, I just love listening to your mixes! Such a treat through the 'phones, the way you can hear everything so clearly. Would love to be a fly on the wall during one of your mixing sessions.

Very much enjoyed, Tom, and good to see you back smile

Blue Attitude Website

#607607 - 07/23/20 05:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

49 days in the NC mountains.... nice vacation. I'd hate to have to leave after a month and a half in the hills.

I really like the song. Another good writing and recording job my friend.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#607611 - 07/23/20 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

Wow this is excellent work tommy very professionally done nothing out of place well done thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#607651 - 07/23/20 09:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: MarioD]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Tommy, this is fantastic. I really liked your vocal and the lyrics in this one. Your playing was top notch, as usual, and your mix was exceptional!

This may be your best to date.
Mario, thank you for your continued support for many years. I always appreciate your comments, Tom

#607743 - 07/24/20 05:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: PeterF]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom

Loved it - instantly accessible - great hooks, lovely playing and singing.
Nailed everything.

A real treat.

Peter
Peter, thanks for the kind words. It means a lot coming from you as I am a big fan of your music, Tom

#607801 - 07/24/20 10:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

Right. After spending 49 days in the hills of NC the first song you'd write would be called Turn Around. Great delivery and inspiration!!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#607819 - 07/24/20 12:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Good song with excellent lyrics and vocals. Pro production all the way. Really enjoyed it!

#607864 - 07/24/20 11:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hey Tommy,

after way too long away from the user showcase, I stopped in tonight and saw your name. I KNEW I would be happy if I clicked on the link, and danged I wasn't exactly right! Making good music requires a person to wear a lot of hats, and you wear them all so well! I know you have done your time on the smoky stages, so you come by your expertise honestly. As others have already said, everything you do is good, and this is no exception. The tone, the mix, the lyrics, the vocals.. everything sounds top notch to me! And, apart from the technical stuff, I just like the song.

Having said all that, there is one small disappointment. You were in NC and I didn't know. Bummer. But the music is not disappointing in any way shape or form. Just keep on doing what you do so well.

#607902 - 07/25/20 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Tom,

Love the minimalist opening. Band sounds great when they join - every piece so clear in the mix and all blended perfectly (including the vocals). A truly great drum sound. Nice guitar work.

"it never felt right from the start
Tank’s as empty as my broken heart
Can’t recall the last car I passed
Headlights dimming nearly out of gas"

Nice.

"...This trucks not as good as it used to be
Bout twenty years out of warranty"

HA! Nice.

One measure of a good song is being so wrapped up in it that you do not notice time passing. When this finished I was surprised to find it at 3:30. It felt like about a minute.

Great to see you back. Welcome home.

fj

(something is going on... i have notes on my phone for a song about running away from a broken relationship and running out of gas...)

#607931 - 07/25/20 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: Scott C]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love your songs Tommy. This was no exception Guitars were excellent. Loved the way they framed your vocal. Well done
Scott, thank you so much for your very nice comments, Tom

#607940 - 07/25/20 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA

Janice's first thought was "it sounds like a Tom Petty song." And I gotta agree.

The lyric is one to dream about writing...just excellent. And, man, your vocal sounds so rich in that mix. You have a fine ability to get EVERY track cooperating with one another. Clarity and openness to the max.

Your guitars, RT's, loops and the MST ALL sound like a bunch of fine musicians having fun in a studio. As though they've played together for years.

Back to your vocal...so plaintive and it exudes THE word for us - soulful!

Outstanding our friend...

J&B

#607985 - 07/25/20 04:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Great song Tommy.
I love these lines:
"I just reached up and tore off the rear view mirror
if i keep driving I might disappear".
The mix is terrific. Can I ask where those guitars are panned in the verses? The separation is stunning.
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#607987 - 07/25/20 04:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Just great, Tommy. May I call you Tommy? Forty-nine days in the mountains sounds a real treat. The lyrics are very evocative as road-trip songs seem to tend to be. Maybe it's those hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror that does it.

I don't usually do this, but I first heard this on my crappy little phone speaker...and it sounded good! I don't think that happens by accident, so I'm just reporting success.

Admirable piece from first lick to that unsettled and unsettling ending. Loved the tasty guitar coming in the left. A lot happens in the left on a road trip (at least in countries where they drive on the correct side), so even that little "touch" was very nice.

I like this one plenty.

Edited by Tangmo (07/25/20 04:52 PM)
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#607988 - 07/25/20 04:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Turn Around [Re: tommyad]
olemon Offline
Expert

Excellent all around, Tom. Everything shines and the clarity of each track is wonderful. Those drums are clean and crisp. Instruments and vocals are where they belong. Very well done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32837 Members
68 Forums
66117 Topics
561380 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
seoulsongpa, philcoe, Staf84, Fabio Sena, GSP2

32836 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 175
VideoTrack 148