You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#609196 - 08/02/20 06:17 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello forum friends! Just listened to a number of wonderful tunes....will continue to catch up. Have not been around too much lately but I'll continue to catch up in the next week or so. Hope everyone is safe and well. I write a lot of songs from my own era (60's and 70's). When I branched out to become more versatile, I went further back in time instead of toward the present. I love the 40's and 50's. Would have loved to have pitched this one to "old blue eyes". Always love to hear your thoughts! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/user-93866372/what-ya-done

Whatyadone to me

Baby, whatyadone to me
Sorrow like my heart has never known
You awakened a long forgotten part of me
Then you ran off and left me alone

The poets speak of those who’ve loved and lost
As somehow better than those who’ve never loved at all
I’m no poet, but baby when I weigh the cost
Soaring high was just not worth the fall

Once upon a time, my dreams were untethered
There was no place my heart couldn’t go
Now I am lost, and my spirit is weathered
I just don’t know how to let go

Baby, whatyadone to me
In the wee hours, I walk the lonely streets
And the shadows stretch out like a lonely sea
In such darkness, I can’t find my feet

And the whiskey barely helps to ease the pain
As the sad songs pour into my soul
The echo of a lover’s loss, the sad refrain
Play out in this bottomless hole

#609219 - 08/03/20 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yes, I could definitely see Frank doing this one, and making a hit out of it too.

Period perfect from the excellent write to the instrumentation. Love the sax! And always love your vocal.

Excellent, Greg!

#609221 - 08/03/20 01:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
What's the click at 8 seconds and 32 seconds in?
Those, I think it happens again but less obviously like at 1.40, some sibilance and the strange register drop/tone change near the end of the 1st sax solo, (2.16 after another click), are all I'd suggest need addressing.
Lovingly: a wonderfully done homage to an era of crooning.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#609267 - 08/03/20 11:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Greg,

Who needs Frank when we've got GREG??!!??!

You have such a wonderful voice - especially for this type tune. The perfect amount of smokey-whiskey-lived-in warm-raspy tone. Gorgeous.

One more beautiful write. Lyric and melody. Top tier.

The BAND is with you every step of the way. Good mix, too.

You should be making whole albums of this kind of stuff - and making a bunch of money from it!!!

Beautiful.

fj

#609275 - 08/03/20 11:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Smooth..... when are you premiering on the Vegas strip? Seriously good stuff there. This kind of music is coming back with some of the newer singers....

So....I listened to see if I could hear what Rayc was talking about.... I didn't hear it but I'm also on some tiny computer speakers streaming it. So... if you go back and hear the things he mentioned..... I've had issues with such ghosts in the past. I would solo track by track and heard nothing out of the ordinary. However, I could hear something amiss in the mix. Often, it would come down to how 2 specific tracks were interfering with each other. Once I had it isolated to the offending tracks, a simple volume envelope that pulled one of the two down during that split second in the mix, would often fix the "glitch" and the track that got pulled down was never obviously missing for that short split second of time. Anyway.... yeah, I didn't hear anything in those places.... maybe I can listen later on better speakers or cans.

All that aside, that is a really superb piece of art. You vocals fit it perfectly. Nice, nice work.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#609335 - 08/03/20 06:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Greg,

Very throwback and, yes, I could see a classic 40’s crooner like Sinatra doing a hell of a job on this . . . but you do it rather nicely here--always admire your vocal. Pretty stuff—terrific write (“in such darkness, I can’t find my feet” . . . boy, what a line!). Well done!

My best to you,

Deej

#609340 - 08/03/20 06:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Greg
Love Sinatra (as a singer) and hopefully he would have had the good sense to agree to your pitch. But you make a wonderful job of it yourself. And great work with the lyrics, too. Nice period feel. Porter Berlin, Arlen, etc; they had such a wonderful way with words.
Regards,
Leon

#609355 - 08/03/20 08:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

Sweet song. Lovely vocals. Beautiful music by the band. Well done.

#609363 - 08/04/20 01:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg

Superb vocal and a lovely overall sound, perfectly fits the period. Wonderful sax solo as well which tops off a classic piece of songwriting.

Really excellent work.

Peter

#609400 - 08/04/20 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Excellent emulation of that period.

You voice is Crown Velvet smooth. Such a pleasure to listen to.

Good tune!

#609422 - 08/04/20 01:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Nonpareil singing as usual. Song had great rhymes like "my dreams were untethered, my spirit is weathered." Terrific stuff! Another one for the vault.

#609439 - 08/04/20 04:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
"Old Blue Eyes" would have loved this but Greg you did one hell of a job on this one. You captured that era perfectly. Loved the sax and the rest of the backing tracks. Your vocal was outstanding.

I agree with the others in that you should do a CD of this genre.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#609555 - 08/05/20 01:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, The arrangement is stellar. An absolutely lovely vocal. That sax is perfect. If your eyes aren't blue they should be! A brilliant piece. Loved every note, Tom

#609562 - 08/05/20 01:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

What a great feel and delivery. Greg. No surprise to me that I LOVE IT. In fact, I hit the Like button before Play. Wish there was a That's Amazing button. The strings are perfectly mixed --not overwhelming, yet subtly lifting the vocal to the clouds. Great sax solos. The whole band is perfectly chosen.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#609764 - 08/07/20 11:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What an awesome song Greg. Love how you can transition thru the different genres. Sax was very cool. Well done

#609872 - 08/08/20 11:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Perfect. laugh

Smooth vocals, melancholy lyrics; classic jazz group with distant strings, solo sax.

Love it!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#609875 - 08/08/20 11:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Greg,

This is simply superb...

Bob

#609919 - 08/08/20 04:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: BlueAttitude]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yes, I could definitely see Frank doing this one, and making a hit out of it too.

Period perfect from the excellent write to the instrumentation. Love the sax! And always love your vocal.

Excellent, Greg!

Thanks so much Dave!! Just listened to a great one by you guys.....your killing it!! Take care. Greg

#609977 - 08/09/20 05:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Derochette Offline
Apprentice

Hi Greg,

Hi,

It's a beautiful nostalgic song with a text out of real feelings and soft music with an endearing saxophone solo.

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

#610113 - 08/10/20 05:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me [Re: Greg Johnson]
Gary Weder Offline
Apprentice

Yikes , I almost missed this , luckily ,providentially ,fortuitously I found your beautiful creation !
This song is smoother than silk and the production is second to none . If "Cranky Franky" had heard this recording he would have rejected it because............he couldn't sing it as well as you! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today our friends in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving!

Our hours are not affected - we are here until 6pm PST!

We hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Forum Stats
33236 Members
67 Forums
66177 Topics
567508 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HasseIron, IanP, Neha Sharma, Bravo Hearing Ce, PSAcademy

33235 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 201