Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#63139 03/02/10 07:21 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Where can I find a good Virus/Malware software? My Mcafee expired yesterday, Thanks.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’m using the free version of AVG on all of our machines for a number of years now and I’ve had no problems at all. Another excellent free antivirus/anti spyware program is Avast. These two free versions can be hard to find but they are available at their respective web sites. If you need/want help with AVG just ask.

Good luck and remember that excellent antivirus/spyware programs don’t need to cost you money.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Ditto to AVG. I just went ahead and got the paid version though to make sure that it is kept in force all the time. I think that Best Buy may be recommending Kaspersky now. Seems I may have used that some years back. I've had no problems while using AVG.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Suggest Avast! with a periodic scan using antimalware from malwarebytes for hidden threats

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
also avast is free and highly recommended.

www.avast.com

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Another vote for Avast! here.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Avast also - available from filehippo.com.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've used Panda (protection not 100%) and Symantec (heavy load on system)
In 2008 I used the free edition of Avast on all our Windows systems. Runs smooth and never had any issues with the program or protection level. After the first year I decided that Avast is the best AV/Malware protection for our systems, so I upgraded to the pro-version.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have Norton Internet Security on one machine (works fine/is unrecogniseably lighter than the earlier Norton products) and BitDefender on 2 others (works fine/easy to use, although I have not yet updated to the 2010 version: + user support excellent)

I remain slightly suspicious of the free products, on the "you-get-what-you pay-for" principle.

The freebies are tremendously good at creating good press on the web, but then, they would be. What do you do when it all goes wrong/customer support dries up etc. You have no claim whatsoever on the supplier as you have not made a purchase.

+ do the maths and you will find that the difference in price is hardly worth mentioning.

BitDefender IS 2010 is 120 USD for 3 years' coverage of 3 machines (many of us have at least 3 PCs I believe - or the spare key can be used by another family member).

13 USD/year to protect a PC. I rest my case.

With Protection software I have a feeling its not so much the choice of product that is important as user practice.
whatever the choice, the user must:
- remain careful when visiting unfamiliar sites
- not open unknown attachments in emails
- be suspicious of any portable storage device
- run regular scans with other external AV + anti adware products
- etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The new Avast version 5 has everything
1. antivirus
2. anti malware
3. 0 day threat protection
All in real time and with scanning.

I no longer use Windows though. I use Linux were nothing but a firewall is required.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I use Linux were nothing but a firewall is required."

I really wish you wouldn't perpetuate that myth..

According to CERT (US computer emergency readiness team) -
"Phalanx, which dates back to 2005, is a self-injecting kernel rootkit designed for the Linux 2.6 branch. It allows an attacker to hide files, processes and sockets and includes a tty sniffer, a tty connectback-backdoor, and auto injection on boot.

Details on the attacks — and targets — remain scarce but it’s a safe bet this is linked to the Debian random number generator flaw that surfaced earlier this year. A working exploit for that vulnerability is publicly available."

Just one of many ..Phalanx2 is out now, even the repositories have been hacked. Fedora had to do a complete rebuild for Red Hat repository a couple years ago. If you trust the Linux community (hundreds of thousands of users) you'll be fine , except for passing along windows virii inadvertantly.

Until you get targeted. If someone wants in bad enough they will get in, and your browser will read a redirect just as fast as any other if it is hidden correctly.

I would give more examples, but they would be techy and include the known exploits which are best not publicly discussed. A little research at the CERT site will reveal recent exploits.
..the more ya know ..

Last edited by rharv; 03/03/10 05:39 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I meant no anti-Virus programs or anti- malware programs. I do use noscript. I also include a link to the big cheese. Enjoy the reading. I think you will conclude that for the average user damage is self inflicted.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
At a certain point, these kind of OS arguments are quite like when civilian pilots start discussing which is the "safest" small airplane. <oxymoron alert!>

It ain't the aircraft.

Its the *pilot*.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No, it is whether someone decides to target you or not, and as linux gets more popular it will be targeted more. Of course user error is a contibutor, but not necessary.
Like I said, the exploits are there if someone wants to run them.

The kernal has exploits as do some of the OS files. Research at CERT if you want to learn John. The first sentence of the article you linked to is a disclaimer about not being a security professional. Trust the professionals more than a blog..

Last edited by rharv; 03/03/10 05:45 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of the kernal2.6 expolits is aimed at VOIP packets and I know people on this forum use that.

Be careful, just trying to help.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
US-CERT is aware of active attacks against linux-based computing infrastructures using compromised SSH keys. The attack appears to initially use stolen SSH keys to gain access to a system, and then uses local kernel exploits to gain root access. Once root access has been obtained, a rootkit known as "phalanx2" is installed.

Of course be careful. Nothing is imuned. The issue you mention RHARV is aimed at SSH based servers. The average home user does not have this.

To me there's a big difference between a virus ( swine flu ) that spreads willy nilly to everyone, and me deciding, based on observation that RHARV has a lot of nice stuff at his house so I'm gonna find a way to go there and steal it.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
CERT is aware of quite few exploits, and this is one of the larger ones.

Many smaller ones include causing buffer overruns (including the Gimp exploit and hacked ISDN packet exploits).
There are many more than you care to admit, so I guess I'll just leave it at that. If you want to run around with only a firewall I have no complaint. But telling others that is all they need is not responsible IMO.

Linux is indeed 'safer' no argument there. It is a lot more user controlled, and many people switch to it every day. They need to know it is not bulletproof.

Last edited by rharv; 03/03/10 07:04 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well I'm certainly no expert in this field nor am I that experienced a user. All I really did was regurgitate what was told to me.
" As long as you use safe practice's there should be no problems" I guess servers are another issue.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
If you're using Windows, check out Microsoft's Security Essentials. Protects against Virus, Spyware and Malware. I use it and, so far, no problems. And it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

R

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am one of the Linux users on this forum and I run Avast anti-virus for Linux.
Why? Even though I am running Linux, it is still possible for me to pick up Windows mal-ware and then unknowingly send it on the my Windows using friends.
By running regular scans of my Linux system, I can avoid this happening.

tony
Lenovo lappie, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Ubuntu 12.04
Running BIAB under WINE
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,814
Posts737,553
Members38,591
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Namahi, JumpinJackP, xristos69, Eliana Davis, Nao incomodem mais
38,590 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 159