a. Install AV software
b. Leave AV active for updates
c. Go shopping while the AV software scans for infections
d. Install AntiMalware softwares
e. Update AntiMalware softwares regularly
f. Watch a movie while the AntiMalware software scans for infections
g. Install Firewall and test
h. Install Windows Updates regularly
i. Turn off Firewall while doing Windows updates.
j. Disconnect from the internet when working on a DAW
k. Turn off AV software when working on a DAW
l. Turn off Firewall when working on a DAW
m. Remember to turn on AV Software before reconnecting to the internet
n. Remember to turn on Firewall before reconnecting to the internet
o. Reinstall Windows when an update fubars the system
p. Remember to only surf "safe" sites
q. Hope and pray the site your just surfed to or from was "safe"
r. Encrypt all personally sensitive files and financial records
s. Hope and pray the system is not infected during financial transactions

II. Better: Using only Windows on two PCs
1. Set up Windows PC 1 for DAW and applications
a. Do not install AV, AntiMalware, or Firewall Software
b. Do not do any Windows Updates
c. Do not allow this PC on the internet
2. Set up Windows PC 2 for the internet
a. Install AV software
g. IInstall Firewall and test
q. Hope and pray the site your just surfed was "safe"
r. Encrypt all personally sensitive files and financial records
s. Hope and pray the system is not infected during financial transactions

III. Still Better: Using only Windows on three PCs
2. Set up Windows PC 2 for the internet surfing
a. Install AV software
q. Hope and pray the site your just surfed was "safe"
r. Remove all personally sensitive files and financial records
3. Set up Windows PC 3 for the internet financial transactions
a. Install AV software
g. Install Firewall
s. Visit only the the sites for financial transactions
t. Disconnect internet when transactions are complete

IV. Even Better: Using Windows on one PC and Linux on two PCs
2. Set up Linux PC 2 for the internet surfing
a. Install AV software to scan files destined for the Windows PC
1. Avast for Linux (free)
2. Clam AV (free)
b. Update AV only before a scan
p. Surf any site and have fun
3. Set up Linux PC 3 for the financial connections
s. Visit only the the sites for financial transactions
t. Disconnect internet when transactions are complete

V. Even Better on a Budget: Using Windows on one PC and a Linux Live CD
c. Do not allow WIndows on this PC on the internet
2. Use the Linux Live Cd for any contact with the internet
a. Any downloads for Windows must be routed through an internet AV scanner
b. Get a Yahoo account
c. Save the download to your PC
d. Attach the download to a Yahoo email and Yahoo scans it for you
e. Discard email and use the download if it is declared safe

Last edited by JBlatz; 03/03/10 06:21 PM.

JBlatz
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Tony!

A safe internet is important. There is a reason the anivirus programs are offered in Linux. Avast! is free and they still offer it for Linux.

JBlatz seems to have the idea too. The DAW never connects to internet here. His options give lots of choices.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

No, it is whether someone decides to target you or not, ...

You mean like what happens in air combat?

The real thing, not the game.

Same thing, there ain't no intrinsically safe airplanes, but there *are* exceptionally good pilots.

You know, the ones who came home.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
touche

But if radar was available, you used it, right?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been thinking a lot about this and have also discussed with a friend. He's an MIT graduate and has been the Director of the IT Dept. for the complete University of Maine system for 30 years. His comments were:
1. For the average user security is a 50/50 toss up between a Linux Distro like Ubuntu with just a Firewall & a fully protected Widows system. The difference is that with the Windows system you'll know if you have issues as all your real time and off line scanners will warn you. With Ubuntu your only real assurance is what others have said, me included." you'll be safe" Their intrusion detection products are either SO COMPLEX or they don't work.

I Installed an intrusion detection program yesterday after this conversation here. Wireshark. Seemed really nice. Clicked on the icons to view available network connections and it showed none. Found out that the program has to be run with ROOT priviledges. This is TOTALLY against the whole Linux mantra. I said OK I'll try it. So I sudo wireshark and I get a pig popup telling me of the dangers of running this program as ROOT with a direction to their site that further explains to never run this program as ROOT but it's the only way it'll run. It was fun a geeky for awhile but I have no desire to be a programmer. I'll leave the duel boot for awhile but I'm gonna go back, in fact I'm on it, to Windows for awhile.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

...It is a lot more user controlled, and many people switch to it every day. They need to know it is not bulletproof.

My own observation is that about the same number switch away from it every day, too. Silvertones was quite the Linux spokesman for a couple weeks, but now he says:
Quote:

It was fun a geeky for awhile but I have no desire to be a programmer. I'll leave the duel boot for awhile but I'm gonna go back, in fact I'm on it, to Windows for awhile.

I've been through it myself and emerged regretfully from the other end in about the same amount of time. Linux seldom quite manages lift-off.

Larry
______
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am sorry to hear that John. I would have thought that Linux virus ware would have improved with all the developers out there.

I agree with your friend somewhat. I don't think it's 50/50 on 'getting' infected. I think you are less likely on Linux. But I also think if you do get infected in Linux more damage is likely to be done if it isn't caught, and a firewall most likely won't catch it after it's in. A good one may try to stop stuff from getting out, but that would be one of the first things targeted by an intrusion. Serious threats don't try to hurt the machine, they try to gain information or control.

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Someone commented about "real-time" virus protection versus "scanning," and implied the former is superior to the latter. I suppose one could argue that, in theory, it is better to prevent than cure. But I find the real-time processes to cost a bit too much in the way of performance (not just with BIAB but with everything, but especially BIAB).

I find running an automatic nightly scan (I use AVG Free) is fine. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy (which is also free, but I throw them 25 bucks every year) and Ad-Aware Free. The only real-time feature I run is Spybot's "immunization," which is preventive. I also run the email scanner of AVG, but I don't consider that real real-time. I will scan with Spybot and Ad-Aware weekly or every ten days.

Also, I don't like any product that purports to do it all. They invariably do nothing well.

And further, using a router provides a very good hardware firewall. So good, in fact, that it is unnecessary to run Windows firewall -- unless there are machines on your side of the network that you don't trust, like a child's computer -- or a dumb-ass adult's.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On my Windows boot I run:
1. PC Tools Firewall+ because I don't have a router I'm on dialup
2. Avast v5 that is an excellent virus tool both real time and scan by not as good at the other malware very light on resources.
3. PC Tools Spyware Dr. excellent anti malware real time & scan but bogs down my computer.
4. Malware Bytes scan only.
The bogging down is what made me go to Linux. If I disable the real time protection in Spyware Dr. I'm OK. Uncertainty is what will bring me back to Windows. I'm still playing with Linux though.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I would also suggest all Windows, Linux, and Mac users subscribe to an email vulnerability service like Secunia Security Advisories. I don't know about other companies, but Secunia delivers email advisories on both Os and software related vulnerabilities. It can be a pain, because often there are a lot of advisories filling your mail box, but it does help keep you up to date on current potential problems.

To subscribe, click the link listed below.
http://secunia.com/community/profile/

JBlatz
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
sort of interesting. From the Ubuntu Forums

Re: Rkhunter log
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertones View Post
This is the one thing that would make me go back to Windows. At least I can run all the tools I have and be assured that there are no issues & if something should get by the real time scanners I can fix them.
I understand your feeling, but i can't agree with your assertion. for instance, only 23% of fully patched AV systems can detect the ZeuS trojan. as of last year, close to 40% of distributed malware could not be detected via static signature scan. the only way to catch some of them is with behavioral analysis, and most AV/IS systems run in an non-interactive mode, to keep the user from being swamped with messages every time a process loads a new dll, or establishes a relationship with another process. of course malware employing a rootkit would not cause behavioral warnings, and most rootkits can't really be detected by conventional AV systems.

with windows you can just never tell if it is clean.
http://www.darkreading.com/security/antivirus/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220000718
http://www.darkreading.com/security/antivirus/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215600282

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

touche

But if radar was available, you used it, right?

One of the few to make Ace in the Vienam conflict air war was a Navy pilot who finally admitted to some of his secrets to success with the F-4, years afterwards.

There were all these alarms in the stereo headset. Steady drone buzz in one ear indicating your Radar was aquiring a target, another higher pitched drone would happen in the other ear if your electronics deteced that someone had locked onto you, etc. etc. etc.

He said that as soon as he entered a hot area -- he'd turn all that crap OFF to eliminate the sensory overload possibilities and just concentrate on the immediate tasks at hand as they arose.

heh.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

40% of distributed malware could not be detected via static signature scan. the only way to catch some of them is with behavioral analysis

I believe it, despite that fact that I haven't been hit by anything bad (but I don't go to certain neighborhoods where getting hit is more likely).

Spybot S&D has its "Teatimer" real-time thingamajig. I don't use it, but I know many who do and swear that it's saved them. In the beginning, it nags you a lot, but it learns as it goes, and the warnings and alerts become less frequent.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Look (another analogy alert) -- its like riding a motorcycle.

There are those who haven't gotten off real quick and then there are those who have.

And there are also those who are about to get off again.

get off = lay it down, clown.

--Mac

Off-Topic
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Well now since we are are on the subject of OS security quite a few of us do online banking and use credits cards on our computers every day. Maybe even some of us or other members of the household visit unsavory sites (just saying) and then we bank on the same installation of the operation system.

Why haven't banks to date not insisted that a separate partition is used for banking or customers should use a live cd or others means to be able to access their acounts.

Just wondering?

Paddy

Paddy McGurk,
Liverpool,
Don't mention the Beatles!!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They would lose customers

Do a little research and see how many financial institutions get hit in a year for $10,000 or more. You'll be surprised.

Why don't we hear about it more? Banks don't want the customers panicing.

You will seriously be surprised how many get hit. And they are running Unix, Linux as well as windows based servers. I had to do a report on it last year. The statistics are a little hard to find, but not impossible. Had to 'join' a few cyber-security groups to get access to some of it, but it's out there. The most recent data is hardest to find, stuff from a few years ago won't be.

As I said earlier, it's because they are targeted. Any OS specificly targeted is vunerable.

Mac is speaking truth though that user error usually contributes. (I didn't understand the 'get off' analogy)
I don't think anyone is immune though. I mean Google, DoD, lots of 'secure' systems have been hit pretty hard lately.

Linux, to me, was more work than it was worth. Just my opinion there, wouldn't try to talk anybody out of trying it based on that. But going in thinking you are immune isn't good.

I didn't have time to read the posts attached to yours Silvertone, will try to find time. I did read what you posted though- I notice he said 'with windows you never know if it is clean', and somehow that doesn't apply to Linux? You always know your system is clean? Doubtful many check it to find out cause 'all you need is a firewall'.<grin>
I do like his point about behavioral attention. Know your system and when it acts funny find out why. Great tip.
How you run your antivirus is uo to the user. He states they run in non-interactive mode. Most do as default, some can be adjusted.

Rootkits are by far the hardest to get. Running malwarebytes has found them for me more than once. I get lots of calls from people when these things happen because people know I usually can deal with them. And so it has caused me to look closer at the subject. I'm not an expert, but have learned a bit along the way.

To be honest I regret jumping into this thread..

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That may happen some day, Paddy, as things sort out.

If it does, I fully expect the baddies to figure out a new way of exploiting it, too.

Thieves predate computers by only a few millenia...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Where can I find a good Virus/Malware software? My Mcafee expired yesterday, Thanks.

Trax

Eddie,

Did Mcafee not do the job for you? I have been a satisfied customer since the DOS versions and still use them.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Where can I find a good Virus/Malware software? My Mcafee expired yesterday, Thanks.

Trax

Eddie,

In reply to your original question, I have an opinion, based on research I've done to keep my own computers secure... The answer: from what I've been able to gather, there isn't one - good security software, that is.

The reason: effective malicious code requires a lot of skill and resources to create. The folks who write this highly specialized code are sufficiently skilled and have the resources to create software that is not detectable by any existing anti-virus software, and can find it's way through firewalls. The programmers take the time to make certain their malicious code is "smarter" than any protection currently available.

Anti-virus programmers simply can't create software to protect us from malicious code they don't know exists. Once a new threat is identified, they get busy and create appropriate safe-guards, but the damage is already done.

A person who relies upon anti-virus software and firewalls is like that emperor with the new clothes - you feel appropriately covered, but really, you're naked and out in the cold.

The only real security available to us is provided by the user him/herself; know your software, and conduct yourself responsibly.
Linux requires that the user give permission to any software before it can interact with critical systems - Windows does not, which is why Linux is considered "safer". But even in Windows, the user decides what software is introduced into the computer. A person can research the software and it's sources, decide which is legitimate and responsibly managed, and allow only that into their computing environment.

Using a separate computer on the web, and erasing cookies, passwords, and temporary internet files after each session is a good idea. Keep that computer free of sensitive information, and at the least sign of trouble, wipe the hard-drive and re-install your operating system.

Those nice folk who use anti-virus software to avoid passing on malicious code to others have their heart in the right place, but the software they so generously install for this purpose is simply not capable of identifying a significant threat. Once again the emperor is feeling that breeze...

Based on this information, I choose to use no anti-virus software, even when using Windows (although there may be a firewall in my router). And in 10 years on the web, I've never experienced a problem attributable to malicious code - it has always boiled down to operator error...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,719
Posts736,454
Members38,554
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM
38,554 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187