Print Thread
Go To
#73978 05/24/10 11:02 PM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello,

I'd like to offer my own review of a computer program designed for those who might wish to automatically get hard-copy sheet music into the Band-In-A-Box or RealBand programs. In my opinion the product I'm about to describe works extremely well, is easy to install and use (I'm using MS-Windows 7, 64-bit), and because of it's incredible accuracy, rarely requires any user intervention. I felt it was well worth the selling price (mine was $49.99), as it consistently saves me many hours of typing hard-copy sheet music into Band-In-A-Box.

Disclaimer: There may be other computer software packages available that could perform the same function. This particular program was the one that I ended up buying and the one I currently use. As of February 2010 when I purchased the software, there did not appear to me to be ANY product available that could perform this same function (also note that I wanted a standalone program that was not bundled with some other software package). I have used the software for about four months (at about twice a month). I freely offer up this information because I thought that BIAB users might like to know more about it -- from a BIAB user's perspective (I also suggested that that the BIAB developers build in this function to scan hard-copy sheet music into BIAB). While it certainly wasn't my intent to write a commercial for this software title, I did intend to provide the reader with a thorough and unbiased evaluation and secondly, as of this writing I do not know about other programs or options that may be available that might perform the same function. So, as of this writing I had nothing else to compare it to.

The Software: I found a program called SmartScore by Musitek . I purchased the MIDI version of the program and the best price I've found for it was at amazon.com. As of the date of my post it was available for $42.42 at Amazon.com.

What it's used for: Using any scanner and the SmartScore program, you simply scan your hard-copy score (note also that it allows for scanning an unlimited number of pages into a project). You then save your work (which the program can be set to do automatically) to a MIDI, XML or NIF file. You can then load BIAB or RB and use the MIDI file.

Review: Here's a short list of some of the features that I've found particularly useful as a BIAB / RB user. There are likely more features that each of you may like, but I only use it with the BIAB software.

1. The program is incredibly fast and it is very accurate. It works with most scanner brands and models.

2. It includes a built-in MIDI notation editor. If SmartScan finds something that it thinks could potentially be interpreted differently, it highlights these places and (using a split-screen of the original scan and the resulting MIDI), allows you to quickly identify the information in question (in my own use I found that it rarely interrupts processing with user questions -- it's normally quite correct in it's assessment without any user intervention).

3. It includes a built-in MIDI player to hear your score immediately. It also has a Jukebox feature to play multiple songs automatically. It provides support for your VST plug-ins.

4. It can scan a very large number of staves per score (I myself that I find lots of director-type scores), and it can optionally break each of these out into single-instrument MIDI's. Theoretically, if I didn't want to work with the MIDI file in BIAB, I could use SmartScore to quickly print up separate sheets for each of my band members.

5. It has the ability to combine multiple parts into a single conductor's score (a nice feature).

6. It has several special features just for guitar players (too many to list).

7. It has a Karaoke feature (the kids enjoy this -- since they can find free sheet music online for virtually any tune they've ever heard on the radio and then just download the sheet and fire up SmartScore )! This program also allows you to import files directly without printing the score and then scanning it back in. Thus, it will convert different file types to MIDI.

8. Automatically reformat your scores according to your own set of "standards" or set up special templates to use (comes with some too).

9. Works with Finale software.

10. It can save the result in MIDI, WAV or XML file formats. It can import TIF, TIFF, MIDI, XML, BMP, PDF and NIF) files.

I hope this helps someone. It's worked quite well for me and spending the rest of your life typing is a terrible thing to waste!

Last edited by ikeinblackriver; 05/25/10 11:01 PM.

Ike
Veteran
Veteran
Any other comments reviews? Looks like a good option for my off the wall stuff.

Does it handle pages with the words under the staves, say a piano staff with 3 verses underneath?

That would be way cool.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
John, I have to say that I haven't really payed that much attention to what the program does with any text (including non-lyric) found in the score but I'd agree that this would be pretty cool. I do not know yet, but I intend to find out. I'll update here as I find more information on this.

Thanks for the post!

Ike
D
D
So I wonder if you could use Finale to do a simlar thing? It scans music, you can edit it after to get it right and then save it as a midi file to enter it into Biab. Has anyone heard of that?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

So I wonder if you could use Finale to do a simlar thing? It scans music, you can edit it after to get it right and then save it as a midi file to enter it into Biab. Has anyone heard of that?

Yes, it can be done, I used to do that with Finale and now do it with Sibelius instead.

Pay attention to the BPM setting and set BB to the same so things line up.

--Mac

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
smart score is already a part of finale so no need to buy it if you already have finale. For those interested in this type of software you should check out photoscore, its much more accurate than smartscore &has a lot more options

Last edited by bupper; 06/29/10 01:01 AM.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

smart score is already a part of finale so no need to buy it if you already have finale. For those interested in this type of software you should check out photoscore, its much more accurate than smartscore &has a lot more options

Thanks for the response comparison.

About what you're saying ... True enough. However, the full version of Finale is a $600 dollar program and I couldn't afford that. I did already have a watered-down version of the Finale program that was bundled with some other software I bought from Hal Leonard. This version seemed to work okay but it didn't include any music-scanning ability.

Also, Photoscore 6 is a $500 dollar program unless you buy the MIDI Lite Photoscore for $50 bucks. I did buy Photoscore Lite before I ended up switching to SmartScore -- I sent Photoscore back. I found the two programs to be similar in features but personally I ended up taking SmartScore over Photoscore because one, I had trouble with Photoscore tech support and two, SmartScore was easier to set up and use.

The truth be told, I didn't see any difference at all in accuracy -- they both claim 99% percent accuracy (the separate SmartScore software -- not the Finale-bundled-integrated one). And even at 99% percent that means one note out of 100 is going to be wrong (and even that is going to depend a great deal on your scanning hardware and software drivers. I guess I can live with 1 out of 100 for what the program does for me and my ears can usually tell me which one's out of wack anyhow.

To each his own.

Ike
Thanks for the post! I was just thinking I needed something like this. I'm just getting started w/BIAB and I want to make backing music for my singing. I have tried typing in a few songs and it is a frustrating experience. And thanks for the tip on the best place to buy!

Expert
Expert
Since I have a big stack of fake books, I would love to have a decent scan function. I have had good scanners but sure didn't like Photoscore professional with Sibelius. There were so many errors that I found it was actually faster to just enter everything manually, which is what I've been doing. If you don't have a keyboard, you can use your computer qwerty keyboard, tap in the note rhythms, and then move the notes with the mouse to their correct staff positions. Actually, I should use this feature more than I do. FWIW

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is a great subject! I have a version of smartscore midi edition...an older one ...seems like they've come a long way since 2002 with their accuracy.The old one was pretty good but required a lot of editing to get sheet music to sound musical. I would buy the new one but after I promised myself I will work diligently on my sight reading I just cant do it...very tempting though:)

...........Jeff......
Veteran
Veteran
If you can read music, smartscore is a great program for making midi files out of sheet music with. The key is how well you can "scan" the sheet music and have SS interpret it.

You can set codas, repeats etc . . . if you know how to read the music score.

I used to use SS and it worked great for sheet music w/o chords typed in them.

The cleaner the scan, the cleaner your midi will be. You can also adjust notes etc . . . in its editing features.

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,418
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 72
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.