Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I don't want to have incompatibility issues with my recording software.
I don't want to log in to Microsoft to use it.
I don't want to be stuck using Tiles. I like to old fashioned menu.
I want to use Power Shell which makes the start menu similar to Windows 7.
I do want good internet security. I haven't had any problems with W10.
Thank you for suggestions.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
I never used Tiles. I think Microsoft is moving away from that.

I never use Cortana.

I do use Edge, to avoid Google.

I remember Start 8, similar to Power Shell It should be easy enough to find out if there’s a Windows 11 version.

My Windows 11 has not caused a problem with any of my music software.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I run win 11 on one of my main machines and win 10 on the other main machine. I don't have any real issues with either. I do like win 10's layout better, most likely because I have used it longer.

I have win 10 on my Lap Top. I have win 7 on an older machine and UNIX on another old machine.

I am not having any issues with any of the operating systems other than windows is a pretty intrusive system that sometimes causes issues when it updates.

I have not seen any real advantage to win 11 for me. Better internet security with win 11...who knows.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Expert
Expert
Windows 11 works fine with everything I've got. Slight layout differences to Windows 10 but easy to adapt to and seems marginally snappier. Go for it.

Veteran
Veteran
I have no problem with Win 11

I don't have a Microsoft account - I got advice on how to avoid it here: https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/13/how-to-bypass-the-microsoft-account-requirement-during-windows-setup/

I don't use Cortana, somewhere on the web I learned how to minimize her intrusions, but sorry, I didn't bookmark the link. (I did that in Win10 and after the upgrade I haven't heard from her)

Instead of Google, I use StartPage.com - a European privacy search engine that gives Google results, without the tracking

No tiles for me, the Start Menu in Win 11 isn't that much different from Win 10

If you want good Internet security, you need to go to Win 11 when support stops for Win 10 (whenever that is). Also, I read that WIn 11 is more secure than Win 10 - but I haven't researched that.

It's your call, I upgraded to 11 and am happy with it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
I'm running Win 10 on one machine, Win 11 on another.

One thing I definitely don't like about Win 11 is that you cannot move the tool bar. I like my tool bar on top, in Win 11 is permanently fix on the bottom. There was a hack to be able to move it but with the most recent Win 11 update the hack no longer works. I'll get used to it.

One thing I like about Win 11 is that it seems much faster than Win 10. Both my machines have NVME OS drives but the one with Win 11 definitely starts much faster. They must have done a few startup tweaks.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Expert
Expert
This may or may not apply, but Win11 has some specific CPU requirements. I'm particularly aware of it as I had to update when I was forced to change to Win10, but the CPU I got then is not supported by Win11.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Microsoft says Windows 10 will be supported until October, 2025 so it's not a decision you have to make right now. The longer Windows 10 and Windows 11 co-exist the less you have to worry about encountering Windows 11 break-in issues. By 2025 Microsoft Windows 11 should be pretty stable.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you for all the replies. I think my biggest concern has been addressed; No known compatibility issues with common music software.
I'll wait until I get another reminder then probably accept the update then.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
All.
(Re win 10//11)

for those amongst us experiencing(/concerned about) latency which can impact ones music projects…this is rather an interesting document by microsoft.
(page down to ms 'Audio stack improvements' section and notice the comment bout win 10 and later…point 1 ie seeing a reduction in round trip latency of 4.5 to 16 msecs
compared to previous version 8.1.)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/low-latency-audio

ie its rather an interesting document.

thus win 10 and greater versions afford a benefit.

in my case i have to admit on win 11 (and same as win 10 before) i have no latency problems currently on my new pc which i purposely chose for its low latency
performance and my choice of audient interface whose drivers have never given me one problem. in summary i can easily get 4 msecs or less low latency.

my new pc per the following detailed evals has one of the lowest latencies.
anyone anticipating a new pc purchase might peruse the following from notebook check….viz latency. (ive had no win 11 issues so far..ymmv.)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-Latency-Ranking-Which-laptops-and-Windows-tablets-offer-the-lowest-latency.504376.0.html

i would recommend anyone looking to purchase a new pc not just purchase any pc…cos as can be seen from the above lists latency stats are an important factor.
the list goes from highest latency figs down to lowest.

happy new year to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/16/23 02:13 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have been on 11 almost since I first could update. Not one issue of stability, compatibility. Nothing at all. Plenty of ways to make it look and work like win 10. Do a search and you will find easy hacks to restore stuff you like in win 10 as far as looks and such. It doesn't change the underlying functions, just makes it familiar. 11 is not hard to get used to.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Veteran
Veteran
I have Windows 11 on my production machine, but the CPU on my backup machine in another location won’t allow Window 11 so that still has 10. I have no trouble switching back and forth.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Of course we all know this pray..,
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

New MS operating systems just need to be accepted! grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I hardly know the difference between 10 and 11 except for two things:

1) Minor cosmetic changes in the GUI

2) I can no longer move the taskbar to the top

I know that MS has had some lame upgrades like Win8, Vista or 2000, but this doesn't seem to be one of the lame ones. I'ts more like 10.1 than 11 from this user's point of view.

PC Mag says there are some 'under the hood' changes that make it more secure and robust. I can't verify that, it's working as well as 10 did.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I know that MS has had some lame upgrades like Win8, Vista or 2000, but this doesn't seem to be one of the lame ones. I'ts more like 10.1 than 11 from this user's point of view.

What Notes said...... I adopted all 3 of my computers to Win11 within a couple weeks of release in October 2021. No issues at all since then.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
I use Stardock Start11, which gives me a Windows 7 like start menu (actually, Start11 works with both Windows 10 and 11). Costs $5.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
I still use the old Classic Shell for my Start button. It's no longer updated for newer Windows systems but still works in Windows 11 and it's free.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Veteran
Isn't that called Open Shell now?
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
I'm going to modify the code to match Windows 13. That way, I'll have a few years before I have to adapt.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

Yup, that's the newest versions of it. I was just too lazy to sift around and figure the most recent downloads plus the last version of the original works great.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
I just use the plain, vanilla Win11 menu. I did shift it to the left.

It's nice that I can fit a lot of app icons on the taskbar, so I don't have to use the menu for the apps I go to every day.

As long as my apps work on the OS, I'm fine, and Microsoft is pretty good about backwards compatibility.

Veteran
Veteran

1st thing I did on Win11 install. It was a blatant copy of the Apple OS when they shifted the menu to bottom center. Luckily very easy to change back to the left.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta

1st thing I did on Win11 install. It was a blatant copy of the Apple OS when they shifted the menu to bottom center. Luckily very easy to change back to the left.

I don't mind that it's an Apple copy, both Apple and MS copy each other.

I moved it to the left simply because I like it better there.

I do wish I could move it to the top again, but it's really not that bad on the bottom.

Notes ♫

Veteran
Veteran
John, totally off topic, you have had a PM from me for quite some time and have not read it. Just wondering if everything is okay with you.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
J
Expert
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: jford
I use Stardock Start11, which gives me a Windows 7 like start menu (actually, Start11 works with both Windows 10 and 11). Costs $5.

Been using that product since it came out for Windows 8.0 and am still using it for Windows 10. I highly recommend that product for both what it does and what it costs. You cannot go wrong.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
E
E
It sounds like you've got a sweet setup with Windows 11, especially with the tweaked taskbar.

Your approach makes sense – if your apps are working fine on Windows 11, and you're loving the features, there's no pressing need to rush the update. Microsoft does a decent job with backward compatibility, so you're probably good to go.

But if you ever decide to make the jump, remember that there's a platform where you can find Windows keys and some insights on this topic. Just in case you need it down the line.

Last edited by edentargen; 12/11/23 01:21 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Although I’ve used these shell products that emulate an appearance you may prefer, I’ve stopped using them. I offer free computer support to many people and a few organizations. Sitting down at a computer that doesn’t have such a shell became a hindrance when I had to remember the standard way. I carry several utilities on a flash drive when I work on someone else’s computer, but nothing I do changes the appearance of their computer.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199