Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have a question about microphone latency. I'm trying to record specifically with band in a box. I just got a new headphone with a microphone on it and I'm trying to use it but it seems that when I try to record my voice on my song the audio of my vocal is falling behind the music what can I do to fix this? Thank you for any help. I have band in a box 2020 and I have never tried to record with the USB in band in a box, but like I said my voice keeps falling behind the music and I'm wondering what's wrong and how can I fix this?

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Generally this is fixed by using an appropriate auidio driver. You need to install an ASIO driver. Not MME or WAS you need ASIO... to reduce latency to an acceptable level.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Trapper.

most people/project studios use a low latency usb interface with asio/wdm drivers.and plug a xlr mic into the interface. a lot of interfaces now have v low latency.some of the order of a few millisecs which one doesnt notice.

heres a example user list of interfaces....

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707

i'm not at my pc right now...but if i remember there is a adjust in the drivers section of prefs for latency.
(i would also talk to support n' see if they have any triks/solutions....cos ive never used your approach/gear)

it might be a good idea to post back more info on manufacturer of your mic etc as well as pics of your
bb driver settings...which helps in diagnosis.

finally have you ever run latency mon on your pc ?

link...and info...

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/26/23 02:29 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
If your audio card/module has direct monitoring, then you're probably better using that as it will have essentially zero latency.
If not you'll have to use one of the above methods to get low latency.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Trapper456, My USB gaming headset with integrated headphone and microphones is likely similar to what you are using. You can not minimize your audio latency with your existing setup.

There are three solutions to your issue: (1) Use an external audio interface that includes direct monitoring. (2) Use different software that has a direct monitoring feature. (3) Update Band-in-a-Box to 2023 which has (new this year!) the direct monitoring feature.

Option 1: Most audio interfaces include an internal mixer that combines the outgoing computer audio signal with incoming audio coming from a microphone or instrument and then sends the combined audio signal to a headphone jack. The interface delays your incoming audio signal long enough for the incoming and outgoing audio signals to match. Not all audio interfaces have this feature and they all seem to have their on marketing name for the feature. Loopback, echo, direct input and direct monitoring are names I can think of off hand. The +++ Samson Go Mic +++ is a relatively inexpensive USB microphone with this feature. This from the webpage link:
Quote:
It also includes an 1/8″ (3.5mm) headphone output for zero-latency direct monitoring. This means there will be no delay between the audio you’re recording and the audio you’re hearing.

Option 2: Many DAWs have a button or setting that adjusts track audio output to match a recorded audio input. The DAW I use, Cakewalk by Bandlab, calls this echo and it is discussed in more detail +++ HERE +++.

Option 3: A +++ new feature +++ in 2023 Band-in-a-Box is audio input monitoring.
Quote:
Audio Input monitoring to hear your Audio Input (e.g., electric guitar with effects) through to Audio Out.
Quote:
This is like "Audio Thru" and it routes incoming audio to Audio Out.

To use this feature, you need to arm the track that you are recording to. Right-click on the track button in the Mixer and select the Arm Track for Audio Input Monitoring menu item, or right-click on the VU meters and select Arm Track from the menu.

The VU meters right-click menu has options to select an audio input. For example, if your audio interface has two inputs (right/left) and you want to record from a microphone plugged into the right input, select the Mono Right to Stereo menu item.

When the track is armed, blue borders are drawn around the VU meters. You can now monitor audio input along with the effects that you select on that track. For example, if you want to add a tremolo effect to your recording, right-click on the first slot in the Mixer, select Choose Plugin from the menu, and select a tremolo effect. Now, when you sing or play an instrument though the microphone, you will see it on the VU meters and you will hear it along with the tremolo effect.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I'm assuming this mic with headphones uses a USB connection. When USB mics were first introduced, they were cheap and were promoted for podcast use. It was simply not possible to get anything really good out of them. I don't know if that's still the case, but I don't see a lot of USB mics in the Sweetwater catalog and I assume that's for a reason. The better solutions have been discussed above.

If this headphone / mic unit does not connect via USB, then never mind; please identify the model and brand.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: trapper456
I have a question about microphone latency. I'm trying to record specifically with band in a box. I just got a new headphone with a microphone on it and I'm trying to use it but it seems that when I try to record my voice on my song the audio of my vocal is falling behind the music what can I do to fix this? Thank you for any help. I have band in a box 2020 and I have never tried to record with the USB in band in a box, but like I said my voice keeps falling behind the music and I'm wondering what's wrong and how can I fix this?

Get a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers and a proper microphone. Done.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So what I have is a H390 USB computer headset with the microphone attached that I bought from Walmart. For $47.00, when I recorded my voice, and my voice falls behind the music. I have Band in a Box 2020.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So what I have is a H390 USB computer headset with the microphone attached that I bought from Walmart. For $47.00, when I recorded my voice, and my voice falls behind the music. I have Band in a Box 2020.

Beginners Forum
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

Not suitable for recording.

Once again:
Get a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers and a proper microphone. Done.

Last edited by Byron Dickens; 03/27/23 06:15 PM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

What is your audio interface, also called a sound card. If you are using your mic directly into your computer you are probably using a REaltek sound card and they are not for recording music/vocals. I believe what you purchased is used for games and talking/work, not for vocal recordings.

Even a single input audio interface like this one for $40 USD:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Audio-Interface-XLR-TRS/dp/B09C5Y7SKS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1N9EK8ZW1JP67&keywords=audio+interface+for+pc&qid=1680010530&sprefix=audio+interface%2Caps%2C367&sr=8-7

and a mic like this one for $26 USD:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Dyna...C292&sr=8-7

is much better than what you have. YMMV

Last edited by MarioD; 03/28/23 03:42 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< So what I have is a H390 USB computer headset with the microphone attached that I bought from Walmart. For $47.00, when I recorded my voice, and my voice falls behind the music. I have Band in a Box 2020. >>

<<I'm trying to record specifically with band in a box. >>

The USB Mic/headphone combo you have is more than sufficient for the task you are attempting. The microphone has no affect to causing latency. Latency is between the built-in usb interface, the pc and program. The solution to latency can be fixed in BIAB without any additional cost or changes in hardware. Using 2020 version of BIAB doesn't have direct monitoring capability so you're unable to hear yourself playing an instrument or singing vocals during recording. You hear latency when you playback the recording. That's all that needs to be adjusted. BIAB has latency adjustments for MME, WAS, and ASIO drivers. Latency will only need an initial adjustment to synch the mic/headset to BIAB. Once the latency offset amount has been determined and adjusted, recorded audio and BIAB will be synched.

Even if you don't adjust the latency, since it's a fixed amount of milliseconds, it is a simple matter to highlight to select the entire vocal/instrument recorded audio track and cut/paste the track into synch with the BIAB tracks. This is done from the Audio Edit Window. Cut the audio track from the very beginning of the audio to past the ending and this stores the cut audio to the clipboard. Use the red curser line to mark where the beginning of the audio recording needs to be moved to. The audio recording beginning will paste at the red curser which will synch the audio recording with the BIAB tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-03-28 153531.jpg (97.97 KB, 98 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I have used that 'Latency Adjust' button in Charlie Fogle's picture a couple times when working with very basic setups.
That little tool may in and of itself help you adjust your issue.

For better results, an audio interface (as mentioned) is a better approach, but usually you can get around it when needed.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Bryon nailed it.

If you are serious about this hobby of recording, you should invest in the proper tools. That includes a good interface such as a focusrite Scarlett or equivalent, that runs ASIO drivers and purchase a decent condenser mic that plugs into the interface.

Neither need to be particularly expensive. There's decent condenser mics that are under $100 and will give you good sounding audio. You can get a used interface for cheap but research it first to make sure it uses ASIO and that it has phantom power for the condenser mic. You can't generally go wrong with focusrite

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
There are always delays in sampled systems. ASIO will only reduce the delay to a low value, that you may or may not notice.

Synchronising at playback/mixing is sensible, and if you are mixing to a video signal it becomes essential. That's why the clapper board was invented over a century ago, to sync sound and film accurately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard

Beginners Forum
E
E
I would recommend ensuring your headphone microphone and audio interface drivers are up-to-date. Also, check Band in Box settings for any latency adjustments or buffer size settings you can tweak to reduce delay.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199