Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
My laptop supplier said band in a box (my version 2008.5) will not load or work with windows 7 home premium and I would have to have the Pro version installed if I purchased.

Is this correct?

Or is there a patch?

Veteran
Veteran
I think this advice is nonsense, but I have no way of trying it out to be certain. Perhaps he or she was referring to the XP mode available on Windows 7 Professional, thinking that is necessary for an older version of BIAB. I highly doubt it.

However, this subject was discussed recently at the end of this thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...true#Post280384

I don't think we know the answer yet, though.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi devonplayer,

I'm not a Win 7 expert, but that doesn't sound correct to me. I've read posts on here where guys are using Win 7 Home Premium successfully. Does your laptop supplier give any reason for his recommendation?

What s/he might be thinking about is that the Edirol (Roland) DXi/VSC will not work on 64-bit environments: this is irrespective of whether it's premium or pro. For this reason, PGMusic now offer a Coyote substitute with BIAB. That substitute would not have been included in 2008.5 since it was only released early this year. )It might be worthwhile contacting PGMusic about this and seeing if it will work with 2008.5.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
If I recall correctly, PGMusic previously responded that you need to have at least BIAB 2010 to get the Coyote WaveTable synth.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Quote:

My laptop supplier said band in a box (my version 2008.5) will not load or work with windows 7 home premium and I would have to have the Pro version installed if I purchased.

It doesn't make sense that Windows 7 Professional offers anything that Home Premium does not offer that would allow BIAB 2008.5 to load or work. The only differences between Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional are (1) the provision of a copy of the Windows XP operating system that runs on a virtual PC, (2) Domain Join to facilitate connections to company networks, and (3) the ability to backup your computer to a network. That's it. The virtual PC feature was put in to pursuade companies that have a lot of legacy programs that were running well on Windows XP that there was no risk in upgrading to Windows 7 PCs.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
I'm using Win 7 Home Premium w/BIAB '08 (257) and the only problem so far has been this:
When I opted to Edit Audio and chose the Quick Adjust - it muted all audio within BIAB..
I had to re-install BIAB from scratch...
Other than that, it seems OK.....................

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Keith that was a dirty trick of Microsoft, I have lots of programs also that need XP so it should have been offered to home users as well.

Thanks all. It would appear from your comments that my supplier knew something about the ~Roland vci, so I assume I will not be able to make CD's. Perhaps this was the end of the stick that he had picked up.

Veteran
Veteran
The inexpensive Coyote Forte (not the free Coyote Wavetable) would solve your problem anyway. I still don't agree with your dealer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Devonplayer -

If you have a valid (non-OEM) license key for Windows XP, you can use other virtualization environments under Windows 7 and then install Windows XP in that virtualization environment. Of course, that means you need to have the Windows XP media and the non-OEM license key. You can check out both VMWare Player and Oracle VirtualBox (both are free virtualization tools). Those virtualization tools will also let you run other operating systems, such as Linux or Windows 98 or even MS-DOS under Windows 7.

Another option, if you really need it (not free), is to do an anytime upgrade of Windows 7 Professional. It costs about $75 to go from Home to Pro (depending on where you purchase it). You just get an unlock key and voila, your previous Home version is now Pro.

Last edited by jford; 07/02/10 10:06 AM.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I'm running BIAB 2007 on Windows 7 Home Premium without any issues whatsoever.

(But I'm probably going to buy 2010.5 because---well, just because.)

John

My BIAB 2009 + Real Band 2009 installed just fine on my Win 7 laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1564 - 64bit ) which arrived from factory with Win7 Home Premium. I subsequently upgraded to Win7 Ultimate.

So far, I've had no problems with BIAB 2009 or Real Band 2009.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
But I assume you cannot install Roland vci, which I assume is necessary to turn biab format to audio formats?

Or can you?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi devonplayer,

As I understand it, using VSC/DXi in BIAB to make individual wav files for each track is the most convenient way to perform this procedure; there are other ways, though. (Here's a bit more information from the PGMusic FAQs: link to FAQ#14). Given that VSC/DXi does not work on any 64-bit environments (XP, Vista or Win 7: i.e. VSC/DXi is purely a 32-bit application), it would be necessary to get another softsyth (Coyote or Cakewalk) that would do the job on Win 7 Home or Pro if you upgrade to a 64-bit operating system and you wished to render using VSC/DXi. (I mention this just in case I wasn't clear in my earlier post.)

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 07/04/10 03:54 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Thanks all for solving the windows 7 position for me.

I still have a XP/serP3 on my desktop, so I shall most probably stick with that for the time being and not upgrade that system in the near future.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

But I assume you cannot install Roland vci, which I assume is necessary to turn biab format to audio formats?

Or can you?

The Roland VSC - DXi version or VSTi version - can be used to effect the RENDER of songs quickly.

But so can any other DXi or VST GM synth selected, such as the Coyote WT wavetable synth that PGMusic now gives away for Win7 users who cannot run the 32-bit DXi synths.

So you are not stuck without the Fast Rendering, if that's what you want to do.

--Mac

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks mac. I will send a request to pgmusic. although I have not upgraded since 2008.5, (the way I use biab real tracks etc. is not needed by me when performing on my Tyros)

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Quote:

Or can you?

The Roland VSC - DXi version or VSTi version - can be used to effect the RENDER of songs quickly.

But so can any other DXi or VST GM synth selected, such as the Coyote WT wavetable synth that PGMusic now gives away for Win7 users who cannot run the 32-bit DXi synths.

So you are not stuck without the Fast Rendering, if that's what you want to do.

--Mac

Tried to use the laptop yesterday (w7 64 bit) and ran across the Dxi problem again, is the Coyote WT wavetable synth available for download free from pg music web site or elsewhere?

Veteran
Veteran
Devonplayer,

It might pay to contact PGMusic about this. I'm not sure that BIAB 2008.5 will support the Coyote WT Wavetable synth as it's a relatively new addition to BIAB. If Coyote WT does not work with 2008.5, there are Cakewalk music creator (with the TTS soft synth; $39 US) and Coyote Forte DXi ($40 US), both of which PGMusic sell, that will work. The general feeling on the forums here is that either of these synths produce a far superior sound to the Coyote WT Wavetable.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Noel, I am not happy these days, as mentioned on another thread re obsolescence of software when windows changes like upto 7.
So I am not bothering to upgrade any further and let the industry know that I am voting with my feet.

Veteran
Veteran
Devonplayer,

I know how you feel! A couple of years ago, I upgraded to a 64-bit operating system (Vista). That's when I discovered that a lot of the programs I had would not work in a 64-bit environment. So, the very next day, I went back to the shop I got my computer from and asked that they swap Vista 64-bit for Vista 32-bit. Everything worked fine then. It's a pity that some salesmen (at least in my experience) do not tell people that not all software works in a 64-bit environment. I had to learn the hard way. That's when I found out that Microsoft make their operating systems in both 32-bit and 64-bit (this includes Win 7). It's fortunate that you still have your XP machine. For your reference, I also discovered that some older soundcards are not supported by the more recent operating systems.

Good luck with it all. I must say, I envy you your Tyros keyboard -- they are brilliant!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,833
Posts737,807
Members38,595
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RWSwan, dedlyfish, Tnfkd, eljayjay, Namahi
38,594 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 168
rsdean 117
DC Ron 105
dcuny 101
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.