Go To
#8992 11/11/08 12:58 PM
Styles and RealTracks Wishlist
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
I'd like to see a feature within BIAB that shows dozens of scales and modes from all around the world.

Veteran
Veteran
What would you do with it? There are plenty of books and online sites that offer this

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
I would do ,with it, exactly what you do with the websites, except that there would be no need to use the websites.
As for the books, I haven't found one that lists every scales and modes.

So that's what I would do. Open a windon in BIAB and get all 800 of these scales, and more importantly, define your chord progressions on them.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I prefer the quick method shortcut that give you all the possible scales:

The Tetrachords.

Get to know and internalize all possible 4-note groups.

Think in the half-steps, the intervals *between* the notes and not the notes themselves. "Negative logic" as it were.

For example:

1-1-1/2 -- defines the first four notes of the Major Scale.

It also defines the last four notes of the same scale, with only a single whole step in between.

So 1-1-1/2 -- 1 -- and then 1-1-1/2 again is the full Major Scale. Broken down into two identical tetrachords.

C,D,E,F

Now apply all possible iterations of half-steps between those first four notes to derive the only other possible tetrachords, one at a time:

1, !/2, 1 -- defines the first four notes of the Minor Scale.

Putting the above together with the Major Tetrachord place after the Minor Tetrachord yields the Natural minor Scale: 1, 1/2, 1 -- 1 -- 1, 1, 1/2

1, 1/2, 1, 1

1, 1/2, 1, 1/2 -- Hollywood's infamous "Arabian" tetrachord

1, 1, 1 -- Augmented, of course, internalizing the sound of the flat five here.

1, 1, 1/2, 1-1/2

1/2, 1-1/2, 1

Done.

Takes most people only about two weeks at most to "own" them all.

Just practice playing the tetrachords up and down on your instrument until you can sing them all without the instrument being involved. What I call, "ownership" of these intervals. Envisualizing the half step as being farther apart than most do in their heads is a good tip here. Think of the tetrachords as being "spread out" farther and you'll soon nail 'em faster.

The scales, and thus the modes are all built from these basic building blocks.

Within a short time, your ear will take over and you don't have to be concerned with all those categories or lists that would require a spreadsheet and rote memorization of something that has little real value to your composing and playing. Just as our brains are able to compute a ballistic equation that would require the calculus to derive, yet we can look at that waste can and manage to toss a ball into it without really thinking about all that stuff...

Please don't get angry or start those long threads about what you happen to know or not, folks, I ain't kidding about this shortcut, many spend a lifetime without ever taking the simple path to this success. Sometimes I think that teachers are more about having you come back to pay them next week and next year than about teaching someone how to simply Git-R-Done. The same can be said for those who compile and then sell huge books of scales and modes. Or softwares that do the same...

--Mac

Journeyman
Journeyman
Agree with all of what you say Mac. In fact of all the posts about chords and scales we've had on this forum I can't think of a more important one than yours here. it's absolutely fundamental to get these sounds in your head as most players think in these smaller groupings when building improvised lines. (remembering of course the inversions of all the above)

I see where you're coming from with your ballistics analogy..its possible to over-analyse here and fail to let your ear do the judging.
However think it's a good idea initially to categorize these tetrachords in order of dissonance or at least as examples of diatonic major/minor, chromatic and atonal tetrachords. It gives you a basis for organizing and selecting the material, controlling the tension and release of your lines as well as aiding the learning process by breaking it down into even smaller components. (btw I'm also thinking of the tetrachord as being a 4 note grouping up to and including the b5th not just the perfect 4th as defined traditionally. )

The entire system of major minor melodic minor, harmonic minor and harmonic major along with whole tone and diminished scales can be built from combinations of the following 8 simple formulas.

DIATONIC semitones
Lydian 2,2,2
Ionian 2,2,1
Dorian 2,1,2
Phrygian 1,2,2

CHROMATIC semitones
Hungarian Major 3,1,2
Hungarian minor 2,1,3
Harmonic 1,3,1
Spanish 1,2,1

Beyond that you've also got the atonal tetrachords most of which have two semitones.(the Harmonic and Spanish listed above are in both categories)
They're good to know for compiling exotic scales and all the other 1 octave symmetric scales possibilities. so you should make an inventory of those too.

CHROMATIC/ATONAL

As far as scales are concerned it would be a good project to harmonize any of the main tonal scales and their modes using BIAB and try superimposing these modes and their chord voicings on a section of a well known tune. You dont see BIAB used that way very often and it would be a nice change from standard II V I arrangements.

Regards

Alan

Last edited by alan S.; 01/31/10 05:49 PM.
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
hi Mac, sorry I saw your excellent reply only now. Thanks, it is very interesting. I have already done the singing stuff on the diatonic modes, which is what I do with any scale I learn. The old jazz proverb 'if you can't sing it, you can't play it' holds true.

But.....I don't believe you can tackle all the material you mentioned in two weeks. Plus, I want just to look at a chart, learn the scale (by singing it many times and even improvising with the voice only on a chord progression....works well) and just put it to use. I agree that 'rote memorization' can be very stiff and at times even useless, but why constructing the scales yourself, when people have compiled them in a list ? Plus, one could never really find them all, there's just too many combinations.

But your approach is admirable, I can see the spirit of jazz in it.

I will try some of what you said nonetheless. Thanks

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
thanks Alan, very interesting. I admit that I come more from a classical perspective so I am not as advanced with all the scales you mentioned. In fact, I only use the diatonic modes other than the standard minor and major scales. That's the only 'caveat' of classical harmony.....they don't incorporate modes and other scales as they do in modal jazz.
I hope to learn the other ones soon.....surely they offer a lot of possibilities and new sonorities

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195