Originally Posted By: amynelson
While I am not interested to argue just for arguements sake, but I believe headphones are similarly either unbalanced or balanced based on the amt of rings on the jack. For ex: a TRS (tip+ring+sleeve) is balanced and a TS (tip+sleeve) is unbalanced. Just like on guitar cords (unbalanced 1/4 outs with TS) vs typical speaker 1/4 outs that are TRS. And, of course, a TRRS is also unbalanced. yada yada yada...

The mistake you are making, easy to make, is that you are thinking that the same type of connector will always be wired for the same type of output. This is not the case.

I have never encountered a Balanced headphone output in over 40 years of servicing and playing music equipments.

The TRS on a headphone jack is there so that both the L and R channel outputs, UNbalanced, can be present. The Sleeve serves as the shared ground or - terminal for both of those unbalanced channels.

When presented with proper adaptor connections to a Line Level Unbalanced Input, the Headphone output will be at the right AC signal voltage to drive that input exactly the same as when an output made for unbalanced line level is available, provided that you have turned the Volume Control on the keyboard up high enough.

As far AS "arguments" go, this is not an argument. The above is simply a fact.

--Mac