Originally Posted By: amynelson
...USB latency to the back of the house would mean that we can't play live, without being out of the rhythm. (unless we buy an interface)...

The USB port would not be the latency bottleneck there.

Use of USB plus ASIO sound drivers can work very well in realtime to play VSTi or DXi software synthesizers.

I would not try to run USB "to back of house" and can't see why anyone would even desire to do it that way.

I would keep the laptop that hosts the VSTi/DXi synth selections and host program right on the stage with me and the keyboard, for reasons of usability. Sometimes you may have to be able to get at that laptop and keep those things working, for one reason.

With today's laptops, no external sound device is needed, either. The playback audio of today's internal sound devices is very good indeed, this is because of the heavy consumer interest in being able to play back audio and video.

ASIO can be utilized by simply downloading and installing the free ASIO4ALL sound drivers. This will indeed provide low latency, sometimes can get it "all the way down" to 2mS round trip.

And, yes, I do so all the time.

And at that point, the USB connect need only be long enough to go from keyboard to laptop.

Audio out from the laptop is all that need go to back of house and again, I use the earphone out jack of the laptop to drive Line Level to PA systems all the time.

But I think the difference is that I WANT to make the thing work.

Sounds to me like what amy wants is a new keyboard...

So get one.

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 05/13/13 04:31 AM.