Originally Posted By: Sundance
Today I decided to plug it in the Emu interface with the signal going to Realband and no sound.

Did you have another known good guitar cable to try? Cables are the thing that stops the show more than anything else, always suspect a bad cable first when there is no sound.

Quote:
The problem is that the preamp which is battery powered has stopped working.

I haven't heard enough evidence yet to support that conclusion.

Unless and until you've tried another cable -- and another input source, such as an amp, this problem could be due to either the cable being broken, or the EMU, which may be broken, not set correctly for the input, or, since it is a software driven soundcard, there could be corrupted software, drivers, whatever.

Quote:
Any ideas what's wrong? Is this an expensive repair? Should I even bother trying to get it repaired? Are there other options besides the built in preamp?

Your best option might be to take the guitar AND the cable to a local guitar shop. There, you can try your preamp with other cables, other amps and find out what's going on first.

Preamp can be repaired, can even be replaced. But first find out if that is what is broken.

--Mac