Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
If you had ESPN on tonight, they switched to the Tigers/Indians game as the pitcher was 8 innings into a perfect game.

Out #1 of the 9th: an amazing, nearly Mays-style over the shoulder catch by Austin Jackson.
Out #2 of the 9th: grounder to Santiago at short - easy out
Out #3 of the 9th: grounder to Cabrerra at first, who tossed it to Galaragga at 1st, clearly beating the runner by a step. But wait, umpire Jim Joyce was too lazy to move to the proper position to view the play at the bag from the side and calls the runner safe - as he imagined it in his brain before the play took place, so scratch that out. Even the runner was shocked.

Galaragga has on his face one of those grins like "What parallel universe did I just enter?" and retains his cool and gets the 4th out of the inning on another ground-out.

This pitcher was in the minors at the beginning of the season.

Everyone watching the play, besides this umpire, clearly saw the out. Why can baseball use instant replay for home run calls, but not something like this? The ump was just plain lazy and seemed to relish calling the play safe at the time. Supposedly he had a good reputation before this call.

The videos are all over the internet if you are a baseball fan AND have the stomach to watch this injustice.

21st perfect game in MLB history, 3rd this season, erased by a lazy umpire.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Amen !!!! We're Tiger fans and Galaragga fans. He's had a tough career in the majors so far. He's been up and then sent down. Just yesterday they released Willis (9M contract) who didn't even act like he wanted to play the game anymore -- just hang around to collect his retirement money. And, now they're talking about the problems with you know who out in Seattle -- retired right on the spot in the middle of a season -- and according to sports announcers, the man refused to come off the bench to take his position on the field! Where is all this going?

Galaragga has been incredible and deserved that play. The Detroit announcer said that he had never felt that bad or sick after a Detroit win. It was clearly his and my wife and I are in favor of instant replay -- this single play alone proves it's needed.

Ike
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I see that the umpire admitted that he blew the call and cost the pitcher a perfect game.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I remember as a nine year old kid listening on the radio to the game where Pittsburgh Pirate Pitcher Harvey Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings against the Milwaukee Braves only to lose the game in the 13th inning after an error by third baseman Doan Hoak, an intentional walk to Hank Aaron, and a Joe Adcock homerun that turned into a double after Adcock passed Aaron on the bases. Haddix ended up getting screwed twice. First by his team mate commiting the error that ended the perfect game and then years later when his name was removed from the record book when MLB changed the definition of a perfect game.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In case you missed the latest.

Update

Trax

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
putting music into the discussion any other baseball songs besides take me out to the ballgame and
center field

i want a guitar like the one john plays in the video!

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I see that the umpire admitted that he blew the call and cost the pitcher a perfect game.

Don S.

Yes he did. Remarkable really..
He apologized and the fans in Detroit cheered him today. The Tigers sent Galaragga out to deliver the scorecards to the Umps pregame (not usual) which to me showed a lot of class. Obviously the coach (Leyland) and staff supported the umps. Took a lot of character for him to "man up". Got my respect.

Took a lot from Galaragga too.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
If the up would admit that it was his laziness to not bother moving to the dugout side of first base - to get a proper view of the most critical play of an unbelievable game, then I would say he could be labeled as 'classy'. But if you watch the video, he perhaps moves 6" to 1' - still in a bad position to see the position of the runner's foot relative to throw.

What was interesting is that later last night, in the Cards/Reds game, a very similar play took place and that 1st base ump hustled himself into the proper position to make the call, on the foul side of the line, looking down the 1st-2nd baseline.

Not seeing a play because it was impossible to see it is one thing - that can be seen as a mistake. Not bothering to move into position is an entirely different matter and involved a conscious decision on the part of the ump as the play unfolded. I've seen plenty of Little League umpires do more to get themselves into position than this guy did on that most important out of the entire perfect game.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Don S.

Yes, and a class-act. People in Detroit can tell ya that the day after was sure different from the day of the game! Galarraga got a Chevy Corvette from GM!!! After the first strike of the next game the day after, the pitcher says to the catcher, "... and there goes my Vette ..."

Ike
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

If the up would admit that it was his laziness to not bother moving to the dugout side of first base - to get a proper view of the most critical play of an unbelievable game, then I would say he could be labeled as 'classy'. But if you watch the video, he perhaps moves 6" to 1' - still in a bad position to see the position of the runner's foot relative to throw.

What was interesting is that later last night, in the Cards/Reds game, a very similar play took place and that 1st base ump hustled himself into the proper position to make the call, on the foul side of the line, looking down the 1st-2nd baseline.

Not seeing a play because it was impossible to see it is one thing - that can be seen as a mistake. Not bothering to move into position is an entirely different matter and involved a conscious decision on the part of the ump as the play unfolded. I've seen plenty of Little League umpires do more to get themselves into position than this guy did on that most important out of the entire perfect game.

Agree with everything you've mentioned. The umpire today told Galarraga that he was sorry and that he cost him. He told him that he had no excuses and he simply didn't know what to say. Commissioner is now having the committee (one of which coach Jim Leland is on), take a look at instant replay (presumably getting into this year yet) and he's not certain what he'll do about altering the outcome of the decision. Too bad really. Umpire was in tears today -- Tigers and all involved -- a very class act. I'm proud my grandkids play and watch the games here in Michigan.

Ike
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If the up would admit that it was his laziness to not bother moving to the dugout side of first base - to get a proper view of the most critical play of an unbelievable game, then I would say he could be labeled as 'classy'.

If you reread what I wrote, I said what the Tigers did the next day was classy. I just gave the ump credit for manning up to his mistake. Not much else he can do after-the-fact..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Has Selig had a change of heart yet?

Didn't take long for the governor to jump in, lol.

The ump lost it when he realized it was a baseball history making type of blunder, instead of just a bad call.

They should do what is right and correct the history books.

Trax

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
rharv,

My comment wasn't sent your way to begin with. As I'm sure you are more aware than I, what with you being in the Detroit media market, there's all kinds of talk about how classy the ump was by admitting he blew the call. Sorry, he had to do that - class or no class. What he really needs to admit is that he made two conscious decisions ahead of blowing the call that caused the blown call:

1. He decided not to move more than about 6" to get a proper view of the play. This was either air-headedness, laziness or arrogance or a combination of the 3.
2. Instead of deciding to err on the side of an 'out', he seemed pre-determined to call the play safe. I cannot imagine that he was unaware that a perfect game was at stake.

So, my comments were not aimed at you - but this misnomer of 'classy' as attributed to the umpire.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,997
Posts740,203
Members38,654
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
paraschiv25, Helm73, JohnRiversaa, DaveHornet, EnzoJames
38,654 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)