Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Hey Everyone!

Does anyone have any go to free audio effects they like to use? As an ambient musician I love reverbs and delays, lately I've been favouring the Tal Reverb 2 from TAL Audio and the Kiesel Free Delay. Throw those two on a pedal steel track in Band-in-a-Box and you can get some really lush background sounds. I've even been able to generate some ambient drones using some of our fingerpicking guitar styles! What kind of plugins do you use in your tunes?

Veteran
Veteran
Free;

Classic pack from Kjaerhaus (spelling?)
Compressor, Delay, Reverb, AutoFilter are all decent. Compressor works well on vocals for a lot of what we do.

Ambience Reverb (Magnus worked with PGMusic years ago to fix a bug Ambience had in PT, been a fan ever since. Very powerful reverb.)

ReaPlugs from Reaper

Baxspander

Helian Bass

Glaceverb

A0 Parametric EQ can be effective sometimes

Lots of them, but Classic Compressor and Ambience Reverb are free ones that are used a lot here as 'go to' .. they don't always stay, but they do often enough that I try them early.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Please be careful choosing from where you download free plugins, to avoid malware. Even if the software itself is clean, some of the pages that dispense it are suspect.

/'End of Caution'/

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
True that ^ ..
I think my links were good (today) .. but who knows what tomorrow brings

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I used to grab every sort of free plug or VST that was out there. As time went on, I found myself gravitating towards certain plugs and totally ignoring the others due to their sound or whatever.

When I built my own custom DAW many years ago now, I decided to NOT load the myriads of freebee's that had accumulated in my first serious DAW.

Now, I use just a handful of plugs and VST's. Most of those are ones that I paid to get. My go-to plugs are in my Cakewalk Sonar software. That, and Ozone is about all I use.

So, no, I don't have or use much of the free stuff.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Free and kind a cool..make sure it’s a legit download site, Abbey Road John Lennon Doubler and Poor Plate

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/audioplugins/

This was free for a while now it's back to $49
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/create-and-design/ddly-dynamic-delay.html

Best source for this kinda stuff, type in free
https://www.kvraudio.com/

Most affordable, not free but good, especially tape simulator plug-in (TB Ferox, hint: it’s not $300)

http://www.toneboosters.com/products/

Comes with all of this for just $19.95 and no malware
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-trackessentials-bundle/

Save up your pennies for this, mind boggling on any Real Track.

IK Multimedia Echoplex

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
echoplex.png (585.66 KB, 8 downloads)
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Look at the most popular free plugins on www.kvraudio.com plugin database. Good reason for the top 5 VST and VSTi there.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 09/11/16 04:56 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
A while back a forum member posted a notice about Waves TruVerb being offered as a free download by the company. I grabbed it and have found it to be full featured and very versatile. I have no idea if it is still available.

FWIW, my "go to" reverb is a EMT 140 Plate sim that is a module of Izotope's Nectar 2. Complete renown albums have been recorded using only the 140.

Cool thread.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
A while back a forum member posted a notice about Waves TruVerb being offered as a free download by the company. I grabbed it and have found it to be full featured and very versatile. I have no idea if it is still available.

I also got TrueVerb when it was a free download and agree, it is a nice one. I just checked, they are asking $99 for it now.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I grabbed it when it was free. It's now in my template project on the last send/return buss I have defaulted on all my tracks.

Very light on CPU

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Btw, today I was really enjoying the Astralis synth that came in a Computer Music DVD. Not exactly freeware, but just about free
Edit: sorry this is a synth not an effect.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 09/11/16 04:54 AM.
Expert
Expert
Here are the free-b's that I just can not seem to lose after all these years / decades...

Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series - You can grab them from the Acoustica site, which is as legit as PG Music. These rock on everything IMHO, but shine on Electric Guitar & Vocals. They are in every production I do.

Tokyo Dawn Records - TDR Feedback Compressor II and the TDR Nova Dynamic EQ are 2 utility plugins that are all over my tracks. These 2 sound fantastic, and are easy to use. All the Free TDR stuff is well worth the time to grab & work with.

Pushtec 5+1A EQ - the Pushtec 5+1A EQ is one of those great finds.....IMHO it is one of the BEST midrange EQ's out there, free or not. It is SO important to have a good EQ to manipulate the critical mid area, and this one delivers in spades.

ALL the above are of a Quality WAY above the Free Price. Again, IMHO.

These, along with my IKMultimedia Total Studio 3, and the Native plugins in Reaper, have covered all my needs for the last 5 years or so. The only other pay-for I have is Breverb 2. With the Reverb's in Total Studio & the free Ambience Reverb, and the delays in Reaper I am pretty much covered...tho I REALLY would like to have Echo Boy... grin .

Anyhoo, this is just a IMHO, YMMV, yada yada type of post! cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hands down my favourite freebies are a pair of Klanghelm compressors.

http://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

I love them so much I quickly coughed up the measly 24 euros to buy the full version of the MJUC and that is now my favourite PAID plugin. Finally I understand why the pros refer to compressors as musical instruments in their own right.

I'm also loving Izotope's neutrino referred to in a post below. It doesn't do much on already well balanced tracks (eg BIAB realtracks) but it's a sure-fire quick fix for the rest.

Matcham

Journeyman
Journeyman
Not really an effect but a free alternative to Vocaloid is Alter/Ego by Plogue.
I am just playing with this at the moment using the free Daisy voice bank and it seems excellent.

Useful thread to find out what other freebies are being used.
Thanks Kallum.

Rec

Last edited by receder; 10/09/16 11:35 PM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Veteran
Veteran
Owners of Focusrite interfaces have been getting free plugins every first of the month for several months now. It's called the Plugin Collective. Fairly good offers/plugins here.

Also over the past few months, Izotope has been giving away nice ones too. Vinyl and Delay are a couple of the recent ones I've received.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
S
SFG Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Be quick .., Soundtoys Plugins are giving away FREE : great new (full version) EQ .., no tricks involved , just a FREE great EQ .

But dont waste any time as it goes on sale very soon for $149.00 , so get it free while you can from soundtoys.

My Specs
Computer : Mac Pro (late 2013) - OS Yosemite 10.10.5
Processor : 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory : 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics : AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Interface : Avid Mbox 3 Pro
DAW : Pro Tools 12.6.0 (64 bit AAX)
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Originally Posted By: receder
Not really an effect but a free alternative to Vocaloid is Alter/Ego by Plogue.
I am just playing with this at the moment using the free Daisy voice bank and it seems excellent.

Useful thread to find out what other freebies are being used.
Thanks Kallum.

Rec

Grabbing this and saving it for later, thank you! laugh

Will - PG Music
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music

Grabbing this and saving it for later, thank you! laugh

You're welcome. There are some good YouTube videos to help with using it too like this.

Cheers
Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks SFG I grabbed the EQ plugin. Look forward to giving it a spin sometime. I love simplicity.

L
Expert
Expert
L
I find I use Neutrino (Free from Izotope, Inc) more and more. Really punchy tool and seems to add clarity to one's mix. I have it running on all my BIAB Realtracks. I have no idea technically what it is, as I just use my ears. I put in on, come back, listen again and alter as nec.

It's done the trick for me. Next Thanksgiving I'll be buying there Advanced package for mixing and mastering in whatever format has Ozone Advanced etc. laugh

Last edited by lambada; 04/01/17 04:22 AM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,980
Posts740,059
Members38,652
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DaveHornet, EnzoJames, BIAB4Me, Al TH 02, Raenil
38,651 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)