Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I've got a tune... It's all samba.. but for the solo section, I would like it to go into swing... then, back to samba for the head and outtro... all using real tracks.

I've got the drums using Rockbossa, and the bass on bossa 140. I then go to the solo section, control click, go to bar settings, and change the drums to terryclarke swing, but there's no option to change the bass to swing. What I end up with is the drums start swinging, but the bass stays in bossa.

Any suggestions?

B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Boy, no action on this post.
So, I know that Terryclarke has the style swing then bossa... but there is no real bass that does bossa then swing, is there? I thought I bought everything, but I didn't install everything.

*IS THERE A REAL BASS THAT DOES BOSSA then SWING*?

O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
Select the track name you want to change
Put the cursor on the bar where you want to make the change
Click the bar once (to highlight it)
Right click and select Bar Settings for Bar#
Select the track name you want
In the panel the opens, select the chorus number where you want the change to occur (drop-down box at top)
Then, near the top (under the Chorus drop-down) you'll see STY button, select it
Select the style you want...

You'll need to do this again where you want to change back to samba...

Works fine for me. But, I will say that this is not user friendly (BIAB folks appear to like holding on to legacy methods).
The best thing you can do for yourself is to make a spreadsheet of tracks, chouses... and write the changes down because there is no way of looking to see what you have (not at all user friendly

B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Shoot. I tried it and it doesn't work. What I don't get is that part where I can "select the track name" that I want in step #5 that you mention. I can change the real drums, but not anything else.

So...
My chart looks like this:

Measures #1-47: Bossa
Measure 48-55: Solo section: Swing
Measures 64 to end: outtro.

I tried the J_Dolfin style, and I get the drums going from bossa to swing, but the real bass plays this lame pedal. I want the cool real tracks walking bass to come back.

What I would like is:

Measures #1-47: Drums: terryclarke bossa + Bass 464 (bossa ev 8)
Measure 48-55: Terryclarke jazz drums + real tracks swing bass (Bass #443)
Measures 64 to end: back to first feel

This tune is for my piano/sax duo, so I don't care what the rest of the band is doing.
Is this possible?

O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
re-post
About all I can say is this: I do it and have no problems (other than lack of user friendliness). If I were going to do a tune from scratch with the bar#'s you cited, I'd do this:

1. Assume 4 choruses (head-in, solo1, solo2, head-out) already setup, chords entered and song knows how many choruses and where start and end (via Song pull down menu).
2. Set default realband style (let's say _BOSSAP). So, the entire tune will play Bossa.
3a. Now, let's change the style for all track instruments in bars 48-55 for solo's in swing:
3b. Select bar 48, then RC(Right Click)
3c. Select Bar Settings for Bar#48
3d. A panel opens
3e. If changing for the entire tune, leave "All choruses" selected in the drop-down (or change it for specific chorus#)
3e. Select the STY (not the *sty) button
3f. Select the style you want (let's say _JSWINGP). So, until you change it again, Swing will play.
4a. Now, at bar 55, let's go back to Bossa
4b. Select bar 55, then RC(Right Click)
4c. Select Bar Settings for Bar#55
4d. A panel opens (same panel as before)
4e. If changing for the entire tune, leave "All choruses" selected in the drop-down (or change it for specific chorus#)
4f. Select the STY (not the *sty) button
4g. Select the style you want (let's say _BOSSAP). So, until you change it again, Bossa will play.

Note: If you wanted to change only a track's instruments, say for a bass solo during a particular chorus and number of bars, then you'd select the track, as previously mentioned. You'd setup a solo instrument (say bass) solo using by RC the track (let's say 'soloist) and select the realtrack style you want (bass solo...). Then, follow the above routine but change the soloist to Normal and the Bass to mute in the panel - be sure to select the specific chorus... (don't want bass playing while bass is soloing)...

That's how I do it and it works - just not user friendly, as I said and you have NO WAY of knowing how the tune is setup unless you write it all down.

Last edited by Outwest; 11/09/09 02:05 PM.
B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
So, I did what you said and it worked perfectly... in MIDI.

However, what I'm trying to do is get my REALTRACKS to change also. Your solution doesn't quite work for that. For example: I created a new song, and chose two styles: _BOSA G + _JAZFRED. Both of those are supposed to be composed of only real track instruments.

I followed your directions and changed the styles at the appropriate locations, but the BASS did not change. The drums changed just fine.

Still not quite working.

BTW, I really appreciate your trying to help me with this!

ALSO, this is what I got back from the PGMusic person...

You need to put a swing bass track on another part (let's say Melody, just for example). Then do the following:
Bar settings from Bar 1
Melody - mute
OK

Bar settings Bar ? (beginning of solo)
Melody - back to normal
OK

Bar settings from bar ? (end of solo)
Melody - mute
OK

Do the opposite for your bossa bass part

Hope this is clear for you.

Thank you

O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
You're welcome... It's works for me and I just did two real simple examples, as follows:
First Example:
1. Created a new tune and entered chords for 12 bars and changed appropriate settings for bars/chorus star and end. Three choruses.
2. Selected style button next to the tune info window
3. Selected Samba (real style from Real Styles Classic)
4. Played the tune.
5. RC on bar 1, Bar Settings for Bar1
6. Selected chorus #2 in chorus pulldown
7. Clicked STY button under the chorus pulldown
8. Selected _JSWINGP
9. Played the tune.
First chorus played Samba
Second chorus played Swing
Third chorus played Samba
* You can see the style names change in the info box (if you don't have lyrics covering the info (another bug).
Worked fine.

Second Example
1. thru 4 as above
5. RC on bar 5, Bar Settings for Bar5
6. Selected All Choruses
7. Clicked STY button
8. Selected _JSWINGP
9. RC on bar 9, Bar Settings for Bar 9
10. Selected All Choruses
11. Clicked STY button
12. Selected Samba
13. Played the tune.
All chorues played Samba bars 1-4, Swing bars 5-8, Samba bars 9-12
All are real styles with their default real tracks.
If you want to change a particular real track instead of the default track of the style, then, it's the same as selecting a real track for soloing and you can put that realtrack on any of the tracks (as PG Music person said). I usually use Soloist, Strings, Guitar for these (I play guitar so I don't need the PG one's).

If you do change the default track, you'll need to mute the default track (eg, if you add a bass real track to Soloist track, then mute the Bass track).

Anyway, it works but, as I said (and I can't underscore it enough and hope the PG Music folk take heart), while this is a good feature, the lack of user friendliness will keep it from being a GREAT feature (and a program is only as good as it's user friendliness, despite the bells and whistles).

B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Outwest... you are the man! Really do appreciate all the help I get around here... someday *I* might actually get to help someone. Hehehe.
Thanks dude!

B
Benny Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Outwest... also, I know the interface sucks for doing all that, but option M will get you the song summary screen.. which might help you remember all the changes you did to your tune.

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,989
Posts740,125
Members38,652
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DaveHornet, EnzoJames, BIAB4Me, Al TH 02, Raenil
38,651 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)