Hi Peter and Jazzmandan,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful responses.

First of all, I had no idea that I could click on any fret to have BIAB use that position for playing the melody. Very interesting. I will be sure to make use of that feature.

Jazzmandan, I'm certainly not using BIAB to show me how to play guitar, but I like listening to, watching, and then emulating some of the more interesting soloists by looking directly at the fretboard view as they play. For the most part, the melodists tend to stick to only two positions and it has irked me a bit because I always wondered why other parts of the fretboard weren't fully utilized. Now that you taught me the way to manually switch positions, I'll be able to bypass that limitation and view the melody all over the fretboard as I see fit. So, thanks for the tip!

Peter, that's correct. The five 4-fret patterns are indeed the very same as the notorious CAGED system. Believe it or not, I had been playing guitar for a good 15 years (using mostly sheet music and my ears) before I had ever heard of this whole CAGED concept. It is, in a sense, a bit limiting... but for some guitarists, CAGED is their mantra from day one. So, if you don't mind, I'll go ahead make a request on the wishlist forum for the option to allow users to view more positions than just Aeolian and Phrygian. There's definitely an educational merit to having additional freedom in displaying those reference overlays.

You went to Berklee in the 70s? Cool! I went there in the 00s. I live across the river in Cambridge now. Things might have changed a bit over the years, but I think they still use a lot of the same theory textbooks have been staples since their early days.

By the way, I'm going to buy Oliver's Jazz Master Course sometime in the next few weeks. I've got a handle on the basics, and I really can't wait to learn some more advanced concepts!