Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

After reading Craig Anderton's review of Rewire and a few other articles, I see it to be a useful tool, just not for me. I wouldn't use what it does. Show of hands though, I am curious to know how many people here use it?

Probably very few, because they can't--PG Music products are not Rewire equipped. I used it on my old DAW when I was running Nuendo 1.6 (primarily an audio app) with Reason 3 (then a pure MIDI app). It allowed me to assign the MIDI sounds of Reason channels in Nuendo and process them there. You can operate two Rewired apps from the transport control of either. I was only the most rudimentary user. There may be other uses of which I am not aware.

On my new DAW I can no longer run Nuendo. (Nor do I need to, as Reason 6 now records audio.) I still have to import MIDI tracks from BIAB in order to use them in Reason. I'm not sure Rewire would even be appropriate there. But I will have to copy and paste audio tracks from RB as it doesn't have Rewire, and Reason doesn't support drag-and-drop in any case. We're working on Propellerhead, another eminently responsive company, to correct this, too.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Here's my take on What Real Band Doesn't Do.

In the Real Band wish list (I think) I opened the discussion, "Real Band--the Killer App." From others' comments I extracted three deficiencies which, if corrected, would make RB indispensable to everyone, not just PG fans. They were unlimited channels, full support of VST technology (meaning the ability to handle tempo information), and implementation of Rewire.

Richard's comment, when taken in context with my thinking about music making as a modular system, does bring up a point that I hadn't factored in:

In a modular system, a key necessity is for all the pieces to snap together and play well together. Two of Richards must-haves fall more into the arena of "working as a team " with other modules than simply duplicating features other products already have.

For the same reason that many of us ditched USB devices when they stopped working with new operating systems (in other words, when they became incompatible with the rest of our music making system) people also tend to ditch products that don't play well with the rest of their music making system.

If all your other stuff is rewire compliant, utilizes Melodyne internally instead of forcing it to be used as a standalone product, and uses other plugins the same way except for one product, as soon as a similar product comes along that DOES play well, people will switch to it.

IMO, these are areas where any software company does need to stay in synch with other similar products.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, you have extracted the essence of what I was trying to say. All I am asking for is for BIAB and/or Real Band and [insert app of choice here] to play well together. REALLY well. Like seamlessly.

When it comes to plugins I am kind of a minimalist. I tend to use what is available unless it is horribly deficient in some way. That is specifically why I began to use Reason--as a huge, powerful modular synth and FX unit, insdtead of fooling with cheap soundcards and subpar softsynths such as the old Sound Canvas included with BIAB, or even the slightly better Coyote Forte.

Reason has its own quirks. It doesn't have MIDI Out and doesn't support plugins or drag and drop. The ability to directly connect it to either BIAB or RB would, to me, be the best of all possible worlds. The rest of you have your own "dream team" in mind, but it's the same thing.

It is possible. It doesn't cost a thing to implement in terms of licensing. PG has, in a rare move, acknowledged this and said that "it is being looked into." That was quite a while back, but I am still hopeful.

Rewire. Rewire. Rewire.

RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

After reading Craig Anderton's review of Rewire and a few other articles, I see it to be a useful tool, just not for me. I wouldn't use what it does. Show of hands though, I am curious to know how many people here use it?

I do not use it as I have no need for it.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
There is prolly 95% of BIAB that I don't use, either. I was responding in the affirmative to Pat's comment about modularity. Rewire would be a major step toward having PG products integrate with the rest of the professional audio world.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
To tag onto Ryszard's comments:

My reason for wanting true and deep VST/VSTi integration is actually the exact same reason as Ryszard's desire for ReWire:

Choice of instrumentation and sound sources.

Ryszard's decision was to learn Reason deeply and the way forward for integration is through ReWire; which has become somewhat standard fare for DAWs, even the others that are under $100 like Mixcraft, nTrack, etc.

My decision was to look for VSTi that did what I needed them to do; Jamstix for being my drummer, all of the GSi physically modeled old-school electromechanical keyboards.

I also got hooked on tempo-locking effects like Kjaerhus' autofilter, any number of delay plugins, etc.

I wasn't happy with Sound Canvas or even soundfont playback.

Lots of forumites here made this into a hardware decision - buying the Ketron GM module, but those of us that have wandered outside the world of GM are those that point to these features as necessary.

What did it for me was trying the CMuzys freeware DAW that came on the cover CD of computer music magazine. That had great ASIO integration, and allowed playthrough of VSTi. The first time I fired up the Minimogue VSTi (freebie), I spent many long nights playing old prog-rock synth leads - or at least trying. Something I hadn't been able to do for 20 years! I was hooked.

-Scott

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

There is prolly 95% of BIAB that I don't use, either. I was responding in the affirmative to Pat's comment about modularity. Rewire would be a major step toward having PG products integrate with the rest of the professional audio world.

I'm guessing a little here as I don't remember the details.Just before the "Drag & Drop" feature came out it was discussed, not sure if it was with testers or the general population,what would be best to implement, D&D or Rewire.The consensus was D&D as I don't think enough folks understood what Rewire was. Rewire has been on Peter's mind for sure just not sure why it hasn't been implemented yet.I could guess but won't.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,912
Posts738,777
Members38,615
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162