Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
I don't use RB at the moment but have been thinking about it. What is a good DAW that is inexpensive and works well with BIAB if RB has limitations? Just wondering:-)

Personus Studio One Prime. It's fully functional and free.

++ HERE ++ is a link that compares the features of the free Studio One Prime version with the two, paid upgrades.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: solidrock
The only thing that is modern is the new splash screen in BB, no more EGA graphics WOW ! the rest is still DOS, a mindset still there from the DOS Days at the Helm. Come on PG You are out of touch, hand it over to the young people from the new tech industry, LET GO ! bring the new blood in.

Solidrock, I understand your frustration. Your points are all completely valid. I honestly cannot imagine having to use RB as my DAW! Not saying that to be mean. I am just waaaay more demanding in the software I use and could never settle for all the warts RB has. Every time I try to use it I am reminded of this. Even little things like load times and smoothness (or lack thereof) in the controls. The clunky Windows 95 interface. And on and on.

But, I think what I have come to terms with is this...RealBand is not for me! Plain and simple. There are far better DAWs available for free and at very low cost. If it were not for the single feature of generating RealTracks bar-by-bar (which I have yet to completely figure out) I would not even install it on my system!

Band in a Box is where the magic is. Or, rather, the engine of BIAB is where the magic is. The BIAB interface has the same issues as the RB interface!

So I guess I'd advise you to maybe accept the limitations and develop work-arounds as many others have. Because, at the end of the day, the music I am able to make using RealTracks is nothing short of AMAZING!! And, after demoing the new RealTracks, I am just dying to send PG my upgrade money!! And the truth is, even if they never fix RB or the BIAB interface, as long as they are delivering such amazing stuff under the hood I will continue to upgrade!

And I will repeat my suggestion to PG you mentioned...

BIAB is GREAT! RB, well you know how I feel about that! But where your real magic lives is in your RealTracks and the engine that generates music along with your back-end process that turns top-notch studio playing into RealTracks.

If you were to create a VST/VSTi version of RealTracks with the same available library and the ability to generate bar-by-bar you have forever changed the music business and would guarantee your future success and place in the history of music innovation!

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Solidrock,

Your points are valid, and it was an oversight that we missed many of these RealBand suggestions in the wish list. I apologize.

On the bright side, we plan to rectify this by adding many of these things ASAP. We have a Band-in-a-Box and RealBand free patch coming this afternoon with the new and requested feature of Stereo Usertracks. And the RealBand patch has some of the wish list features/fixes added too. More to come in the next week.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Peter,
I am very happy with this release, but:
we are asking since the introducing of the user tracks,almost 2 years ago, for working waltzes.
Hope that bug will be patched too.
greetings from the Netherlands
Rob

I found a bug in producing waltzes!
Here is a part of my correspondence with PG music:

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your message. We forwarded your issue and song to our development team and the identified it as a bug. They will need to look into this further and release a program patch update with a fix.

Thank you,
Alyssa
PG Music Inc.
Important Reminder: Please include all previous correspondence when replying to this message
On 27/03/2014 1:31 AM, Rob de Klerk wrote:

Last edited by rodipoet; 12/03/15 11:34 AM.

Rob de Klerk, Dutch singer-songwriter
https://www.robdeklerk.nl

Biab 2023, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete 14, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Presonus studio 24c
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
BIAB is GREAT! RB, well you know how I feel about that! But where your real magic lives is in your RealTracks and the engine that generates music along with your back-end process that turns top-notch studio playing into RealTracks.

See, for me, using this engine in the RB interface as opposed to the BB interface is much better. At least it acts close to the other DAWs. BB does not have enough control for me once I get into a song.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:

See, for me, using this engine in the RB interface as opposed to the BB interface is much better. At least it acts close to the other DAWs. BB does not have enough control for me once I get into a song.

Understood but imagine if every company that makes VSTis also tried to force their customers to use their own DAW! They would have far less sales than they do by focusing on what they do well...VSTi!

RealTracks and the engine would make a killer VSTi! And it would attract the interest of far more pros and young musicians in my opinion!

RealBand
L
Expert
Expert
L
Peter, please, please, please give us something to automatically change midi control commands to external patches in an upgrade. I'm losing the plot trying to stamp on my Niva Multieffects pedal and/or my Voicelive 2 etc. I'd give up wave files and use BIAB live for that. I have no issues with it live (rock steady) since I upgraded my PC hardware. I can't see what my feet are doing, given my stomach and I can't stop playing to press the buttons with my hands - although I keep trying. grin Streetjelly already has me tying to talk, type, sing, play, jiggle to backing tracks.... but please not tap dancing. cry

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Peter, please, please, please give us something to automatically change midi control commands to external patches in an upgrade. I'm losing the plot trying to stamp on my Niva Multieffects pedal and/or my Voicelive 2 etc. I'd give up wave files and use BIAB live for that. I have no issues with it live (rock steady) since I upgraded my PC hardware. I can't see what my feet are doing, given my stomach and I can't stop playing to press the buttons with my hands - although I keep trying. grin Streetjelly already has me tying to talk, type, sing, play, jiggle to backing tracks.... but please not tap dancing. cry

lambada
This would be a good post to put in the Biab Wishlist forum
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

This is already possible in both BIAB and RealBand by using the Piano Roll. You can use it to send pretty much ANY kind of MIDI control to external devices... patch changes, volume changes, etc, whatever MIDI control your device allows.

Here's a Very quick overview... if you have more questions, PM me.

1) Piano roll has an upper and lower pane. The upper pane is usually used for MIDI notes while the lower pane is used for assigning values (like volume, velocity, etc) that define the MIDI note... but it can also be used to assign value to Continuous Controllers and patch change commands.

2) in the same way that a note gets played wherever it appears on the piano roll timeline, a continuous controller or patch change command gets executed at the point on the time line where its value is assigned.

3) you can send different data to different MIDI channels. In the graphic, note that there is a place at the top of piano roll to pick which channel to send to. This must match the channel to which your device is set to receive.

4) Once you pick the MIDI channel, then you pick what kind of command to send: a CONTROL (continuous controller), PROGRAM (patch change) etc

5) if you pick CONTROL, another list box will appear so you can pick WHICH CC to send

6) once you've picked the CC, you must assign it a value. Do that by clicking in the lower pane (which is incremented from 0-127) at the location on the time line where you want the event to execute. Then when the song gets to that point, it will send the data you defined to the MIDI channel you defined

example:
Lets say you want to send a value of 64 to CC#7 on Midi channel 7

see graphic to locate where MIDI channel, CC and CC number are selected.
The value goes in the lower pane. Since the pane is incremented from 0-127 (bottom being 0 and top being 127) a value of 64 would be in the middle.

You don't have to guess at it... when you hover the mouse cursor over the line you made when clicking in the lower pane, it should show the value.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
piano roll.png (73.24 KB, 269 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
so, that examples fleshes out to look like this in the piano roll view:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
piano roll2.png (108.92 KB, 269 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
here's an example of a patch change: we're changing the device that's receiving on channel 4 to patch #35. The display shows the name of the GM patch, but your device will change to whatever you have on patch 35.

Note: if your device has more than one bank of 128 patches, it's a little more complicated. But for most gear that has one bank of 128 patches, that's all there is to it!

piano roll 3.png (73.85 KB, 285 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
and the good news is, once you take the time to get your song files set up this way, you can change all sorts of stuff in real time, and it always works the same way!

Your vocal harmonies can be turned on and off with precision timing, guitar effects that are MIDI controllable can seamlessly turn up volume or gain for your solo, then back again automatically, leaving you free to concentrate on playing rather than stepping on pedals!

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Excellent tutorial Pat...

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This is very interesting Pat. I have a question, in your example you placed the change at 1:02 by moving the insert point. My question is, can you somehow, dictate exactly where the insertion point is, such as 1:02:312, or can you only do this by physically moving the line? Hope that makes sense...just don't want to slide it but rather tell the program exactly where I want it.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Please repost your short tutorial in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum. It will be seen by more people and much easier to find in the future. This is too good to be lost.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
This is very interesting Pat. I have a question, in your example you placed the change at 1:02 by moving the insert point. My question is, can you somehow, dictate exactly where the insertion point is, such as 1:02:312, or can you only do this by physically moving the line? Hope that makes sense...just don't want to slide it but rather tell the program exactly where I want it.

Jeff

That's where the EVENT LIST comes in handy! The EVENT LIST takes all of your projects activity and puts it in a grid where it can be edited. It is especially useful for fine-tuning times (as opposed to visually dragging lines around.

In fact, you can bypass the piano roll and do all the same stuff directly in the event list!

In RealBand the EVENT LIST is on the tool bar (Top right corner) and also available from the Dropdown menu : WINDOW > EVENT LIST

In BIAB I don't think it's on the tool bar, but you can get there a bunch of different ways via the menu. (see bottom of graphic for menu path)

event list.png (322.21 KB, 247 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
more info about the EVENT LIST....

remember I said you can send different data to different channels? In Realband, whichever track you have selected when you open the EVENT LIST, ONLY THE DATA FOR THAT CHANNEL will appear in the event list!

This makes it very easy to keep from changing the wrong stuff.... but it can be confusing at first if you go back to change something and you can't find your data. When that happens, you are probably looking at the events for a different track.

RealBand's event list has a drop-down list box that lets you select the track you want to view in event list.

The main takeaway here is to make sure you are editing/viewing the correct tracks events. Its easy to get mixed up if you are clicking on a lot of different tracks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done Pat.
Thanks.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Pat for the great tutorial
Yes, please move it to the tips and tricks section. Valuable information for sure.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent Pat! Great tutorial...many thanks for the clarification.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,886
Posts738,450
Members38,610
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
smokeybirdsept2679, Barry Thibault, jodanko, Palomeke, Allan Freihaut
38,610 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163