Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly, Matt, however, I've found that internal drives connected to the motherboard retain their settings (unless of course you re-install the O/S, in which case the re-installed O/S wouldn't know what your previous settings are.

BTW, I standardize my drive letters as follows:

C: - Boot drive with O/S and standard installed applications (C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86)), and where I can specify alternate locations for support files, I do so to minimize the size of C: (makes re-installing from an image take less time).

D: - Apps that don't go under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86); I have a folder called D:\Apps. This is where all my PGMusic apps and other non-standard installed apps go. I also have a folder called D:\AppsData, which includes all my sound libraries, VST files, my RealTracks/RealDrums, other application support files, etc.

E: - All my created content goes here. I have a folder structure set up for various categories of files, to include my music files.

F: - my ripped MP3 files. When I rip CD's or digitize my record albums, I create two versions of MP3 files. The F:\MP3-LoFi folder contains the songs ripped at 128 kbps; the F:\MP3-HiFi folder contains the songs ripped at 320 kpbs. The 128 files go on my iPod Classic (160GB; although I really need a 250GB ultimately, which won't happen since they don't make it anymore). The 320 files are for listening while at home through the better speakers. I currently have about 35,000 songs under each folder (on my way to about 55,000 once I finish with all my record albums).

G: - my CD/DVD/Bluray drive

H: - my first virtual CD drive \__ Nero lets you create audio CD
I: - my second virtual CD drive / images, that I mount and play

J: - the drive letter usually picked up by any new external USB drive I connect to my computer.

K: - external USB drive, that when mounted, is my BacKup drive, containing data backups and drive image backups. Only connected when needed.

S: - external USB drive, that when mounted, is my Software InStall drive. I have all my software, license files, login information, software tracking spreadsheet, loaded on this drive. I keep it up to date, and so I never have to do the CD shuffle or worry about where the latest patch is.

I use this configuration on both my laptop and my desktop and have for probably the last 10 years. I also have a private network setup with a router between the two computers (using 10.10.10.x IP range). This lets me work easily between the two computers, but lets each one keep its own wireless connectivity without bridging the networks together. For this, I map network drives between the two computers:

P: - the C: drive on the other computer
Q: - the D: drive on the other computer
R: - the E: drive on the other computer
S: - if mounted, the USB S: drive (see above) on the other computer. One will have the physical drive, the other will have the mapped drive, but both computers can see and use the same content.
T: - the F: drive on the other computer.

Each computer does the same drive mappings (in fact, I do it with a batch file that lets me turn them on or off).

Okay, now that I've completely hijacked this thread on a different tangent, back to the Build 435 problem...

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
I have tried to set the same scheme on the backup PC as my production machine, but since it has fewer drives (and is 120 miles away, so it's not networked), I can't quite swing it. This keeps me on my toes, though, remembering where I put things. Come to think of it, that's becoming more of a problem outside of music!

/ Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Sorry for all your difficulty. I'm thinking it may not be BIAB at all. From your description, my first hunch is that a drive is not working correctly. Can you check that using other programs?

Oh, and you might try the new Build 436 first. Several technical fixes http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=355753#Post355753

Hi Matt.

I ran the 436 patch and got some interesting errors about files not being loaded because they already exist. I clicked through and BIAB opened normally and the patch did take. However, when I rebooted, windows went into 'Disk Check' mode, (on the drive in question), and it took most of the afternoon and all last night to finally get through the tests! I'm guessing you were right about the HDD being bad, (3 yr old WD drive).

When I checked this morning windows had booted so I didn't get any error messages. I did however, see several lines during the 'Disk Check' that refereed to BIAB samples. Could it be there is a bad sector where BIAB installed files? I'll do more checking.

I did try to run Superior Drummer last night and it took forever to load the kits, (samples are on the drive in question), so that also confirms something is going bad with this drive.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll keep working with it.

Paul

BIAB 2023
Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab, 64 bit
jford #355994 07/02/16 10:50 AM
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Originally Posted By: jford
What you could have done rather than reconfiguring your software again would be to go into "Manage Drives" and set the drive letter back to what you expected it to be. Sometimes that means pushing another drive "out of the way (by temporarily assigning X: or something), to make the drive letter available, and then moving that drive to what it should be. But once done, your internal drives should all retain their assignment. Even external USB drives do most of the time (but it's not consistent, I've found). For example, I have set my "inStall" drive (that contains a copy of all my software) to S: and it usually connects as S:. Occasionally, however, it shows us as J:. Go figure.
Thanks John.

On my screwy system I have three 'swap-able' OS drives and five other drives. Audio, Audio Backup 1, Audio Backup 2, Samples, System Backup / Temp, (partitioned drive). I try to maintain drive letter consistency across all the OS's so it's easier to keep track of things.

When I added the two new 2TB drives back in March I ended up with an additional physical drive so I had to shift the drive letters. Apparently I forgot to change them in my Music OS drive so that confused BIAB when I installed the patch.

It's looking like the problem IS the actual HDD, (as Matt suggested), so I working on that.

Paul

BIAB 2023
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Veteran
Veteran
I forget the name, but there is a utility I used to use that would run a brute force test on a hard drive, the sort of test you run overnight like MEMTEST for checking RAM. It may be a Western Digital Utility. I'll see if I can find it. The reason I've forgotten is that my WD drives have been very reliable in the last decade, but problems can happen.

Check your drive temperature. Get a utility like Speccy. If a drive's performance is intermittent like you describe, that might be it on a summer day. If the temp is running high, check the cooling fans for dust.

Another basic test: did you rule out malware? That can make you tear out hair trying to isolate problems that aren't even hardware. Run Malwarebytes to start.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Thanks to Matt and John and everyone! Turns out it was the HDD going bad. I never could get Windows 'Check Disk' to complete it's scan. It would lock up about ¾ of the way through. WD's Data LifeGuard showed both good and bad so I just replaced the drive. I was unable to copy many of my sample libraries from the failing drive but these can be reinstalled so all is good.

Thanks again!

Paul

BIAB 2023
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Veteran
Veteran
Glad you figured it out!

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, we get one right every few years!

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
You guys did great! I was really concerned that it might be the Mother Board and began researching a new build. While I do plan on doing that this year, now there is not such a rush.

Thanks again!

Paul

BIAB 2023
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,978
Posts739,562
Members38,629
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
deathbydrone2045, Henreo, Lzn, The Rock Opera, Nplus
38,628 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)