Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hey Funk Man, stepping out of the boundaries is fun. And, man, does BiaB ever enable it.

We can hear the Zappa reference for sure. Like Kenny said "it's got soul" and if that's present J&B are gonna like about any genre.

Different? Yep. Good? Yep. A nice combination there.

Speaking of different...those chord changes worked so well.

"been saving up your lightning
keep it in a box
now its unlocked"

Our favorite out of a song full of great lines. Well performed and mixed. It's ALL there.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

J&B,
That`s very kind. Yup, BiaB is a good stimulant for wannabe
genre shifters- but really I think this forum and all the different things folks try out here in a receptive setting is just as inspiring.
Your continued support is appreciated!

Robert

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hey, there, "Robertkc"...

A message posted on an insurance company's marquee where I live advised, "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, 'cause that where all the fruit is!"

For all its undeniable "funk", the feel and the tone of "Shine" actually seems more like down-tempo electronica, especially with your (flanged?) and roller-coaster vocal effects in the chorus. Your dissonant chord changes lend an eerie sound that augments the dark and sharp-edged lyrics:

"Time, time, it takes time
Find your strange, let it shine
You`re one of a kind
You will shine"

All told, I think "Shine" is something new, something with teeth that I'd call "feral funk".

Ain't it fun when you let your musical imagination go free? cool

Intrigued,

LOREN

Hi Loren,
That`s a nice quote. I enjoyed reading your review; you have a unique way of expressing your thoughts and I can always tell you`ve really listened to a song with an open mind.
When I`ve posted this I`m going to look up "down-tempo electronica" - its one of many modern musical tags I don`t know much about!
The vocal on the chorus refrain uses a delay and a boost of the high frequencies which seemed to add kind of rock edge I liked.
Thank you for giving this a listen and the benefit of your insight.

Robert