MusicLover, if you’re interested in guitar have a look at this guy https://www.guitarlessons.com/guitar-lessons he has a lot of good guitar lessons. Will it really teach you to read, I don’t think so, but, it will give good ideas for guitar.

Another way to learn to read music is to transcribe notation into tabs. It soon shows you where on a guitar you’ll find notes. Not that I can read but I know what notes are what and where they fit on a staff.

Years ago I played with an old time band. The band leader insisted her players could read. She then proceeded to hand out sheets to each person and off she went and played. However, rarely was she in the key as written. I asked the trumpet player how he coped. He said “I quickly work out what key she’s in and follow the notes up and down, you can see how long the notes are. Don’t tell her I can’t really read.” I reckon this guy knew more than most of us, transposing on the fly.

I also knew a really good highly qualified reader of music. He could play a completely new piece of music with absolute feeling. When I asked about the feeling he simply said “it’s in the notes, what follows what.”

Just some thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/24/19 04:34 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1