Good points Simon and thanks for jumping in. I always look forward to your posts.

I approached my 'test' song with the OP's purpose in mind. A quick, easy way to capture ideas without much set up to capture ideas while they're still fresh in the mind.

The Chord Chart was 16 bars. The style was a MIDI Style with the right feel, tempo and key for a fast generation. Choosing MME was purposeful because of it's reputation with latency.

Just as you noted, my BIAB program is set to MME for playback nearly all the time. If I get an idea while I'm using BIAB and I quickly want to record a fleeting idea, it's very likely BIAB will be set to MME at that time and I also have immediate access to the PC's on board mic. As you stated earlier that I'm recording to capture an idea and the sound quality isn't critical. Using the on-board mic with MME can be used with BIAB having the capability to adjust latency if it's an issue.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.