Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I want to create a song that completely combines multiple styles, all the instruments from every part, from beginning to end, even if that would be discordant or redundant.

Why do I want to do this?

Right now I will sometimes set a style, export audio / MIDI into Logic, then set another style and repeat, sorting it all out in Logic. This way would make that a lot easier.

I'm guessing the answer will have something to do with copying tracks onto utility tracks, which I approach with fear and trembling because of the way BIAB seems to use random names for instruments. But, if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

Please note, I am using BIAB MacOS 2021. I post this here because I doubt it's a Mac-specific question.

Veteran
Veteran
Super easy way to do that......

Write the song in BB in the style you want. Export the tracks as waves into a DAW. Save it with a name.

Change the style to the other style.... repeat the export. Save it with a name+1

select the tracks you want from each style in your DAW.... Selectively mute the ones you don't want to use.

waaa laaa, it's done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Super easy way to do that...... Write the song in BB in the style you want. Export the tracks as waves into a DAW. Save it with a name. Change the style to the other style.... repeat the export. Save it with a name+1. Select the tracks you want from each style in your DAW.... Selectively mute the ones you don't want to use.

Thanks, but then I wind up with multiple versions of the BIAB song. What I'm looking to do is have all the tracks in one place so that if I make a change, I only have to make it in one place, and only have to re-export it once.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/25/22 09:41 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
You can change styles at every bar using the F5 Bar Settings dialog. Change the style is located near the top of the dialog window.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
I think Guitarhackers has value as it would seem easier to manage the styles in separate files vice a dogs breakfast in a single file.

But that’s just me.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
< I'm guessing the answer will have something to do with copying tracks onto utility tracks, which I approach with fear and trembling because of the way BIAB seems to use random names for instruments. But, if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do. >

There are several combinations of BIAB techniques that will accomplish this and it's also possible to do without Utility Tracks if that's the way you want to do it.

Use MultiStyles on Legacy Tracks in combination with the RealTrack Medley Maker and Artist Performance Tracks along with the Audio Track to create a song that contains more than 70 instruments over layers of dozens of tracks in a single render. This will create a song using only BIAB and not external DAW or editing software if that's how you want to do it.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
I think Guitarhackers has value as it would seem easier to manage the styles in separate files vice a dogs breakfast in a single file.

That's the way I'm already doing it now, and it works fine... until you want to change something later. What I'm looking to facilitate is the process of subsequent editing at the chord progression level.

Say I've created a piece that uses 3 styles, and I want to go back to the ground floor and change a C Major to a B Major for 4 bars.

If I have 3 BIAB files, I have to make the change in 3 files and re-export audio from each of them.

In my fantasy dream world, I make the change once, export a bunch of audio tracks once, and I'm done.

Thanks for the thoughts about this, all.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Use MultiStyles on Legacy Tracks in combination with the RealTrack Medley Maker and Artist Performance Tracks along with the Audio Track to create a song that contains more than 70 instruments over layers of dozens of tracks in a single render. This will create a song using only BIAB and not external DAW or editing software if that's how you want to do it.

Thanks, Charlie. Having seen the word "MultiStyles" at point in the past, the first thing I did was look into that, but what I found was stuff about "substyles" rather than the arbitrary combinations I had in mind, so it seemed not a solution. But you're apparently talking about something more elaborate (and scarier!) than that, which I'll see if I can find in the interface. Thanks again.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/26/22 04:54 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Mark, I'm assuming using F5 to change styles isn't the solution your looking for, is that correct?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
If I understand your first post correctly when you say, "... create a song that completely combines multiple styles, all the instruments from every part, from beginning to end, even if that would be discordant or redundant."

MultiStyles will do exactly that. Substyles are derived from a master style, using Master style for want of a better word. I don't recall what PG Music calls them at the moment. Any existing style can be modified into a substyle or a substyle can be another existing style or a style that's custom user created.
A master style will be identified by a + following the style name.
The modified substyles will be identified by a number following the style name

From the Master MultiStyle, the substyles will be activated by the different colored Part Markers. There can be up to 24 different Part Markers in any single song.

I've attached a screen shot of a PG Music created MultiStyle. There are nearly 1,000 PG Music created MultiStyles in the StylePicker on my version of BIAB. However, any style can be modified into a MultiStyle.

There are two types of MultiStyles, song specific MultiStyle and a Style MultiStyle.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ridge.jpg (145.09 KB, 69 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Mark, I'm assuming using F5 to change styles isn't the solution your looking for, is that correct?

I believe not, because I'm not looking to change the active style, I'm wanting to add another style to it. But I think Charlie may have my solution, I need to confirm that now. Thanks!

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Nope it isn't. It sort of does the same thing but not to the same extent as using MultiStyles. One would normally change a style or maybe two throughout a song and that can be done manually using the Bar Settings RealStyle Button.

MultiStyles can make complete Style changes and can also modify existing styles or both. Songs with MultiStyles can have 24 Part Markers and each Part Marker will have both an A section and a B section.
A song can be drastically edited just by changing Part Markers or adding/deleting Part Markers at any bar throughout the course of a song.

Chord changes or any other subsequent editing at the chord progression level will be done in a single BIAB project song and can be regenerated multiple times the same as with a normal two Part Marker song with the appropriate Style or substyle generating properly.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
MultiStyles will do exactly that. Substyles are derived from a master style ... Any existing style can be modified into a substyle or a substyle can be another existing style or a style that's custom user created ... Chord changes or any other subsequent editing at the chord progression level will be done in a single BIAB project song and can be regenerated multiple times

Thanks, Charlie, it does sound like that's exactly what I'm looking for. I will try to consolidate my current project this way now, to see how well that works vs. maintaining separate files.

I think my problem was an ambiguity between "MultiStyles" as a technical feature and "MultiStyles" as a marketed, saleable product, but, not important now.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/26/22 04:34 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,923
Posts738,899
Members38,620
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
shredder11205, wesdean, Mike Dunn, NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear
38,619 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 157