User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Words and Music by Me, Myself and I
Mix and Master by Me, Myself and I
Produced by Me, Myself and I

They say you should always write what you know. So this subject fit that well for me.

Chords written in Scaler 2
Moved to BIAB for selection of style:
Key=Bm , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=2:45
AQUA.STY (Aqua Slow Bossa Nova Piano)
Melodist
All midi moved to Reaper for VIs [EZKeys, EZD3, EZBass, Kontakt (Strummed Acostic)]

None of us are getting out alive

Of course, I am open to, and appreciative of, any and all comments including corrective criticism which can and will be applied to my current and future music making while there is still time. grin

Verse 1
We all are riding on a spinning ball.
Hanging on, but we're bound to fall.
We think we’re in control but in the end.
None of us are getting out alive.

Verse 2
We're born into this world with nothing in hand
Full of unknowns we can't understand.
Trying to find our way throughout our life

Chorus
We're here for just a moment in time.
We laugh, we love, we live, we die
None of us are getting out alive. .

Verse 3
We chase our dreams to the edge of the sky.
Think we're special, but we're just getting by
We want to leave behind a legacy.
But none of us are getting out alive

Bridge – over Chorus
So make the most of every friend that you make
Love with all your heart, give more than you take.
Cherish the moments, every day your alive.

Verse 4
We build our castles high to find some peace.
Time goes by but our worries never cease.
We think we have control, but it's just a lie.
Cuz None of us are getting out alive.

Outro:

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I will repete here what I said in the other thread.

Cool song Dan. I listened to it once then pick up a guitar and played over it the second time around. Key of B minor I assume?

Everything seemed to fit and the whole thing was logical to me. Universal subject matter which is always a good thing.

Toontracks stuff is fun to work with.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Not my favorite genre, but it's a good song with good, but somewhat depressing lyrics.
For the problems with your voice that you mentioned, the vocals are actually quite good, they just have too much reverb to fit in with the rest of the band.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
... too much reverb to fit in with the rest of the band.

Reverb covers a multitude of sins. Thanks for the input. I have revised to create a single reverb buss to include all tracks along with vocal (before the reverb was only on the vocal). I dialed reverb back a bit for the overall mix.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You three are really good together wink

I think you have a really good voice. Plus I like the amount of reverb you have on it.
Good mix, great lyrics.
You should sing more often.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Mario. I would love to sing more Original material. This is in fact the second song I have ever written. Several years ago (a decade?) I put my first up on the forum. I am hoping it will not be so long until my next. I do learn by doing.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a likable song. To my ears and headphones your vocal is overpowered by the backing tracks. Evidently the vocal exercises worked because the vocal doesn't sound strained.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your vocal reflects your current lack of faith in it. I think it works but needs to be bolstered with some EQ etc.
Since you're Reaper user I suggest you look into JS Spectrum Matcher. There're videos on how to use it. Basically you locate an isolated vocal of someone who's voice you think is a decent match for where you'd like yours to be. You then use the VST to get a print of your voice & there's then apply their print to your voice.
It can be very subtle or aggressive BUT it won't make me sound like Freddy or Elvis - it does improve the tone & timbre of my voice.
This is a cool song, a cool message and you should do a little more with your voice to make it an even better piece.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Ray
You had mentioned this Spectrum Matcher feature in the past and I did find it helpful at that time. I have Neutron which easily does this. But I had forgotten.

I am on it now. Thanks much. And yes I agree on trying to optimize the vocals. I hope to completely redo them in the vocal booth and include everything I am learning with this first attempt.

Here is the current after the "Spectrum Match" recommended by Ray.

None of Us are Getting out alive 042122

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the song! smile

I'm not sure the mix is an improvement. The vocal seems oddly attenuated, and still far back in the mix.

If you re-record the vocals, hang on to the originals! You might consider using them for thickening up the vocal. Or even better, throw them into BiaB's auto-harmonizer, and you can use them for background harmonies.

Your vocals sound a bit like you're trying to sound like someone else. You're "pushing" them a bit, which might be why there are some small breaks in places. I think if you just focus on giving good breath support and sounding like yourself, it'll be an improvement.

This advice coming from someone who uses robots to sing his songs, so take it with a proverbial grain of salt! laugh

Anyway, it's a nice song that's well worth putting a bit more work into.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very good lyrics and I love the band. I listened to the 042123 version. I do agree that the vocal should be brought forward in the mix. Someone mentioned straining in the vocal. If you find yourself straining, just lower the key, which is so easy with BIAB. I find just dropping the key a semitone can make a world of difference and improve my tone.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the input. So many good suggestions. In fact this one is going back into the studio shortly for an upgrade.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

Cool song.
I found your vocal to be "authentic". Something about it reminds me of Ben Folds...

I thought the strumming acoustic guitar is mixed too loud - it's fighting with the piano (If I were mixing it, I have it at a level where you had to listen carefully to know it was there - a choice, of course).

fj

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Your vocal reflects your current lack of faith in it.

Rayc, I wanted to circle back to this comment. It was one that made me think long and hard. At the core of my earliest instruction in singing this was a key point made to me. You need to "have faith" in your voice. You can't be shy or timid, you have to sell it. I had forgotten this tenet. I wanted to thank you for reminding me and let you know that I took this to heart in my rework of the song.

Dan

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Anyway, it's a nice song that's well worth putting a bit more work into.

David, I wanted to thank you for helping me with that "extra work needed". I really think the rework you and I put into this song has resulted in a huge improvement which I could have never done on my own. It is so gratifying to have someone step up and volunteer to provide the technical audio engineering expertise needed.

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,
Very cool tune. Neat arrangement and groove. A+ lyrics. Vocals are good, but I think you have to work a bit in getting them to sit better in the mix. Light compression, boosting mid-low EQ (on vocals) and slight reverb on master bus could work. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It’s taken 10 days to rework this song. I hope you will agree with me that this next version is a serious improvement. There is only so much one can learn about audio engineering from watching YouTube videos. So for this rework, I got hands-on help. I learned a lot in going to this next level.

Of note:

1. Full redo of the vocals in the vocal booth with the Rode mic following my re-discovery and performance of vocal warmup exercises prior to recording. This was a big improvement in vocal tone and range. Thanks to Ken Tamplin for all his free vocal warmup sessions.

2. I found the faith, which I had lost, in my vocals. If I don’t believe, then I can’t expect anyone else to believe.

3. In the middle of the effort my pre-amp for my mic failed. So phantom power was slipping. Luckily, I had a replacement in hand (what were the odds of that?).

4. Added harmonies - I hadn't even thought about this option till it was pointed out to me. This is Melodyn wizardry. I love it. While I updated to Editor version, turns out the Assistant version can do this same magic.

5. Added a new reverb plugin. I was using stock reverb, but I recently discovered the Hybrid FREE REmatrix IR Library. Ya, I love that too.

6. I removed over half of the guitar part. Less is better.

7. Use of a “master reference song” for both mix and master in Neutron 4 and Ozone 10 to adjust mixing levels, EQ, and tone. I listened to some commercial tracks and used them as a reference point. This specifically is what told me to raise the levels of the vocals.

I am not going to say this song is done. I need to learn a lot more before I can make that conclusion.

If you’re interested in hearing these improvements, I left the prior version on Soundcloud next to the new version, let me know what you think.

None of Us are Getting Out Alive 043023

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,
much better!

Vocals sit comfortable in the mix, but still a bit dry compared to the rest of arrangement.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to send every track to a single reverb bus. But the free version of the reverb I have does not seem to permit that. So I put reverb on every individual track.

So does the vocal need more reverb?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,
there are plenty parts in this when your voice is really strong, really expressive and impressive.
Overall the vocal & arrangement are wonderful improvements.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,959
Posts739,383
Members38,626
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Lzn, The Rock Opera, Nplus, natescape, JDC
38,626 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)